Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Just now, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

Thanks Segue for these recommendations

👍😎…. I’ll check ‘em out 🙂

( yep I already like Helloween btw ) 

Helloween and Blind Guardian are two of my top five power metal bands! (The other three are Rhapsody Of Fire, Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica).

Little River Band-Time Exposure (9/10)

i can't just go any harder than AOR this  summer.  just tried some of that Saxon bullshit Segue's into...get it off my plate.

Nope i'm stuck on my yacht rockin' and i love it.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Little River Band-Time Exposure (9/10)

i can't just go any harder than AOR this  summer.  just tried some of that Saxon bullshit Segue's into...get it off my plate.

Nope i'm stuck on my yacht rockin' and i love it.

Mick

Oh well 🤷

• Haha 2

Rhapsody Of Fire- Frozen Tears Of Angels 

HIM- Dark Light 

• Like 1

Saxon- Saxon 

Saxon- Wheels Of Steel 

Saxon- Crusader 

• Like 3

Santana - Abraxas

Minor Threat - Out Of Step

Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond

The Dear Hunter - Act I: The Lake South, The River North

A lot of new stuff or stuff I haven’t heard in ages. Would highly recommend all of it.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 6:24 PM, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

ZH ..Yep , I feel similarly to you my good sir.

I remember being sooooo disappointed 

with this too soft sounding :imo: album when I first purchased it on cassettte the day it came out in ‘87.

For me it’s ranked at #17 in my Rush album rankings. 
Only Presto is worse ! 😮.. and I always mark the debut last as Neil wasn’t yet in the band. 

Indeed! Presto out-clunks it in the clunker stakes!

• Like 1

Lacuna Coil- Tightrope (2022 version)

Okay, so initially I didn't like this at all. Listening to the original version of the song for nearly twenty years, it was jarring hearing a totally transformed production, new vocal lines, and Andrea screaming.

But after a few listens, it really grew on me. The choruses build each time until the song climaxes with the original melody, which now truly fulfills it's potential as one of their finest. 

It's not trying to be Comalies 2002. They are playing with their classic songs and reviving them in their current style. Many bands I know release insipid compilations of rerecorded songs that sound just like the original, without the charm. Tightrope 2022 sounds like the band celebrating the old by brining it up to date with their current sound. 

It definitely won't match the beauty and atmosphere of the original album, but I can see many newer fans using this as a gateway to the past. 

I expected the worst, actually enjoyed this.

Alter Bridge- Pawns And Kings 

If Lacuna Coil are literally breathing life into their old style, Alter Bridge are bearing a dead horse. The song is, naturally, really well written. Performances all top notch.

But stylistically and lyrically, this is Alter Bridge firing on all...cliches. 

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Lacuna Coil- Tightrope (2022 version)

Okay, so initially I didn't like this at all. Listening to the original version of the song for nearly twenty years, it was jarring hearing a totally transformed production, new vocal lines, and Andrea screaming.

But after a few listens, it really grew on me. The choruses build each time until the song climaxes with the original melody, which now truly fulfills it's potential as one of their finest. 

It's not trying to be Comalies 2002. They are playing with their classic songs and reviving them in their current style. Many bands I know release insipid compilations of rerecorded songs that sound just like the original, without the charm. Tightrope 2022 sounds like the band celebrating the old by brining it up to date with their current sound. 

It definitely won't match the beauty and atmosphere of the original album, but I can see many newer fans using this as a gateway to the past. 

I expected the worst, actually enjoyed this.

Alter Bridge- Pawns And Kings 

If Lacuna Coil are literally breathing life into their old style, Alter Bridge are bearing a dead horse. The song is, naturally, really well written. Performances all top notch.

But stylistically and lyrically, this is Alter Bridge firing on all...cliches. 

i have to say i don't agree with your INITIAL AB review.  the song is great.  i'm getting super DT vibes throughout.

i can't wait for the record.

the LC re-make........yawn sadly.

Mick

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i have to say i don't agree with your INITIAL AB review.  the song is great.  i'm getting super DT vibes throughout.

Mick

As we discussed privately, the new AB is a grower

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

That Lacuna Coil remake is f***ing terrible. What the hell are they doing? I turned it off before the second verse was finished. I thought they had left the being f***ing clueless about what to do after Shallow Life flopped. But here they are being morons again. Dear God, I would rather listen to Mariah Carey than hear that again. At least if it was another band doing a reimagined cover of the song it would be acceptable. Still not good but acceptable. To do this to your most classic and beloved album is the most clueless thing they've ever done.

The new Alter Bridge song is solid. At least they didn't try to reimagine Blackbird and embarrass themselves.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

That Lacuna Coil remake is f***ing terrible. What the hell are they doing? I turned it off before the second verse was finished. I thought they had left the being f***ing clueless about what to do after Shallow Life flopped. But here they are being morons again. Dear God, I would rather listen to Mariah Carey than hear that again. At least if it was another band doing a reimagined cover of the song it would be acceptable. Still not good but acceptable. To do this to your most classic and beloved album is the most clueless thing they've ever done.

The new Alter Bridge song is solid. At least they didn't try to reimagine Blackbird and embarrass themselves.

The shocking thing is...it's getting a lot of love.

I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. The fanbase is divided in many ways between old school and more recent. 

But, the more I think about it, the more I judge the band for pandering.

It's definitely not for us older fans. But as a fan of the newer work ... I'm confused.

In Flames did an EP of new versions of songs from their breakthrough album Clayman, and it was similarly awful. But I've seen new fans eat it up 

• Like 1

• The topic was locked