Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

5 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Unlimited Love

Not my first listen, but I have a few more thoughts built up now.  From a pure songwriting standpoint this doesn't really hold a candle to their classic records. Everything is well written and there are a few interesting twists and turns which are mostly successful, but there are no Scar Tissues or Can't Stops in the mix, nor any If You Have To Asks or Give It Aways.  That said, Flea's never been more on top of his game, stealing the spotlight like every other track, pulling from an endless river of funky and smooth rhythms with prime note choices. And the mix is, no joke, better than anything since Blood Sugar Sex Magic. It's a real treat for the audiophile in me.  This is a record you put on just to hear the Chili's play like only they can, bouncing off of one another's strengths as though John never left the band (again).  They pull off everything from their standard funk inflected alt rock, to heavy punk, to psychedelic jamming, and to folksy and even country tinged balladry. A few different songs feature total tempo and dynamic shifts reminiscent of classic prog rock, and while that's not a new influence for the Peppers, it's always entertaining to hear a band of their stature pull something out of left field midway through an already good song, if only to see what they come up with.  Or maybe I'm just such a massive prog nerd that those kinds of transitions which might take most listeners out of a song reel me right back in, lol.  It's nothing far out there, but a nice touch to keep things from getting boring. I wouldn't expect it to get anywhere near the legacy of BSSM, Californication, or even By The Way, but I imagine a lot of RHCP fans will find themselves reaching for this pretty often when the classics feel a bit worn out.

I love a lot of this bands works. Not followed their discography since Stadium Arcadium came out. By The Way is my favourite of their albums. That song was one of the first rock songs I fell in love with!

• Like 2

Rhapsody- Symphony Of Enchanted Lands II (The Dark Secret)

This first of several releases to feature the one and only Christopher Lee on the voiceover sections, this album is really growing on me. It's very cinematic, and whilst not as heavy as their first five albums, it carries a weight and majesty. Sure, the fantasy storytelling isn't for everyone, but as a big epic fantasy reader, this is right up my alley.

Rhapsody Of Fire- The Frozen Tears Of Angels 

First time listen. This is regarded as one of the bands best albums. After two very good but flat albums, this album saw the band roar back to life with a heavy emphasis on METAL. 

This is more like it!

Lots of older stuff last night -

Four men standing against a graffiti-covered wall. Each man has a black leather coat, blue jeans, and brown hair. At the top of the black-and-white image, "RAMONES" is spelled out in all caps.

Just a fun album

ARISTOCRATS - You Know What - Amazon.com Music

Seriously talented musicians

The Book of Invasions - Horslips.jpg

It amazes me how Horslips failed to make it really big. This reminds me of a smoky rock bar in my old home town in the mid '70s. This was always playing.

Jethro Tull Songs from the Wood.jpg

Back in the days when Ian could still sing and Tull were huge.

WishboneAsh WishboneAshalbum.jpg

Debut album from another of my favourite bands. A great guitar based album.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 3

Page-Pages (10/10)

this has become a hugee AOR/melodic rock band for me and this debut kicks ass.  it's been in regular rotation for me since i heard it.

It's takes the technical albility of Steely Dan and mashes it together with Early Toto.  Page kinda does sound like Lukathar but the young Lukathar.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Page-Pages (10/10)

this has become a hugee AOR/melodic rock band for me and this debut kicks ass.  it's been in regular rotation for me since i heard it.

It's takes the technical albility and mashes it together with Eatly Toto.  Page kinda does sound like Lukathar but the young Lukathar.

Mick

This is definitely better than Mr Mister (who I like), I will likely get this album at some point.

• Like 1

Rhapsody Of Fire- The Cold Embrace Of Fear EP 

This is exquisite! Basically one long song (35 minutes), and heavily score like. It's so packed with ideas I think of it as another album.

Biffy Clyro- The Myth Of The Happily Ever After 

Such a breath of fresh air after a day of bombastic power metal!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Biffy Clyro- The Myth Of The Happily Ever After 

Such a breath of fresh air after a day of bombastic power metal!

i wished i lked this more......did less than nothing for me.

I didn't really feel the one before this either.

Mick

11 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i wished i lked this more......did less than nothing for me.

I didn't really feel the one before this either.

Mick

Lol, two of my faves 😂

• Haha 1

Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory

Mastodon - Crack The Skye

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Cheap Trick - Budokan!

Humble Pie - Performance Rockin' the Fillmore

David Bowie - ChangesTwoBowie

Performance is one of my all time favourite live albums. Humble Pie were on fire!

• Like 1

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade

Spock’s Beard - Snow

Pretty much my first time listen to Spock’s Beard. It was… pretty good? Maybe not the best idea to start with a massive double CD concept record about a miracle worker, but oh well. The music was generally good, and great anytime the band got to break out a bit. I don’t mind the singer’s voice, actually I rather like it, but the songwriting and story really fell flat for me in a few places. Wind At My Back was the biggest offender for me, though thankfully the first one more than the reprise. I get the sentiment, and I get it’s a very powerful emotional climax for the main character, but this endless list of platitudes and metaphors that all follow the same rhyme scheme just doesn’t really connect for me. And I’m religious, lol.  Plus those harmonies make it sound like the worst kind of hippie music, the very blissfully ignorant kind. I don’t know, maybe it’ll grow on me. The reprise was actually a bit better (probably because it did feel like the right moment for a “coming back to God” conclusion in the story, but also the way it started out was a lot more believable just being sung coarsely and solo vocal).  But really, and maybe I just didn’t quite get some key themes or plot points as they came up, the story doesn’t do much for me. It feels like I’m supposed to be rooting for Snow the whole way through, even though for over half the story he’s a self righteous Superman. And then the big fall from grace is just that he ditches his cult of personality for a girl, only to find out the girl thinks he’s a freak? I mean, it get’s him from A to B, but it really seems to skip over the heart of what his character flaws were throughout the first act. Now after that it does pick up a bit. The following spiral into utter despair seems completely over dramatic, but when you consider he really is a freak of nature in many ways and cut himself off from the only friends and family he ever had on a whim, especially after falling from the heights of celebrity, okay I can see that level of self hatred brewing, and I don’t know what exactly happens at the part where he says “I guess I’m going out with these guys now,” but it sounds like fun.  So basically, it starts off with a difficult, but not unworkable, premise, proceeds to fail at making me care for the next hour or so, then gradually gets interesting in the last act as the protagonist finally becomes sympathetic fighting for his life through to the end. But, as I said at the start, this is my first time listening to this album. Maybe I totally missed something (or a few things) that really change how I perceived the plot. On the other hand, if if my understanding and opinion stand on repeat listens… look, I don’t hate it (remember, the music throughout is generally quite good), but I prefer The Astonishing.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade

Spock’s Beard - Snow

Pretty much my first time listen to Spock’s Beard. It was… pretty good? Maybe not the best idea to start with a massive double CD concept record about a miracle worker, but oh well. The music was generally good, and great anytime the band got to break out a bit. I don’t mind the singer’s voice, actually I rather like it, but the songwriting and story really fell flat for me in a few places. Wind At My Back was the biggest offender for me, though thankfully the first one more than the reprise. I get the sentiment, and I get it’s a very powerful emotional climax for the main character, but this endless list of platitudes and metaphors that all follow the same rhyme scheme just doesn’t really connect for me. And I’m religious, lol.  Plus those harmonies make it sound like the worst kind of hippie music, the very blissfully ignorant kind. I don’t know, maybe it’ll grow on me. The reprise was actually a bit better (probably because it did feel like the right moment for a “coming back to God” conclusion in the story, but also the way it started out was a lot more believable just being sung coarsely and solo vocal).  But really, and maybe I just didn’t quite get some key themes or plot points as they came up, the story doesn’t do much for me. It feels like I’m supposed to be rooting for Snow the whole way through, even though for over half the story he’s a self righteous Superman. And then the big fall from grace is just that he ditches his cult of personality for a girl, only to find out the girl thinks he’s a freak? I mean, it get’s him from A to B, but it really seems to skip over the heart of what his character flaws were throughout the first act. Now after that it does pick up a bit. The following spiral into utter despair seems completely over dramatic, but when you consider he really is a freak of nature in many ways and cut himself off from the only friends and family he ever had on a whim, especially after falling from the heights of celebrity, okay I can see that level of self hatred brewing, and I don’t know what exactly happens at the part where he says “I guess I’m going out with these guys now,” but it sounds like fun.  So basically, it starts off with a difficult, but not unworkable, premise, proceeds to fail at making me care for the next hour or so, then gradually gets interesting in the last act as the protagonist finally becomes sympathetic fighting for his life through to the end. But, as I said at the start, this is my first time listening to this album. Maybe I totally missed something (or a few things) that really change how I perceived the plot. On the other hand, if if my understanding and opinion stand on repeat listens… look, I don’t hate it (remember, the music throughout is generally quite good), but I prefer The Astonishing.

yeeeeeeea.....bad pick man:laugh:

try either

The Light

V

Kindness of strangers

any of those 3.  Snow is one of mt least fav SB albums.

But SB in general are awesome.

Mick

• Like 1

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

yeeeeeeea.....bad pick man:laugh:

try either

The Light

V

Kindness of strangers

any of those 3.  Snow is one of mt least fav SB albums.

But SB in general are awesome.

Mick

Usually I’m a sucker for this massive double album heady concept kind of stuff! Guess they can’t all be winners. Reading through the reviews on rym I see I share the majority opinion on this one too. Guess that’s why I found it in a second hand Cd shop for a couple bucks.

• Like 1

Rush - Hold Your Fire [8/10}

A criminally underrated album. If not for the last two songs I would bump it up to a 9/10. What's wrong with the last two songs? They make the album wear out its welcome. Repeated ideas, melodies and hooks. An excellent 50 minute album would be a brilliant 40 minute albums minus "Tai Shan" and "High Water". They would have made good b-sides!

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, ReRushed said:

Rush - Hold Your Fire [8/10}

A criminally underrated album. If not for the last two songs I would bump it up to a 9/10. What's wrong with the last two songs? They make the album wear out its welcome. Repeated ideas, melodies and hooks. An excellent 50 minute album would be a brilliant 40 minute albums minus "Tai Shan" and "High Water". They would have made good b-sides!

I'm lucky in that I really like the last two songs. HYF is an underrated masterwork overall!

• Like 2

• The topic was locked