Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Saxon- Wheels Of Steel 

Saxon- Strong Arm Of The Law 

Rhapsody Of Fire- Triumph Or Agony 

• Like 2

Mariah Carey- Music Box 

Hot summer day, perfect for this big voice and these beautiful songs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyclonus X-1 said:

Aerosmith -- Rock in a Hard Place

A chronically underappreciated part of the canon.  Lightning Strikes and the title track should still be in the setlist.  They're two of their best, and heaviest, tunes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Slash, Myles Kennedy-4 (9/10)

I don't care what anyone says.  i LOVE this pairing.  they just good fun hard rock records.  I've loved every album.

Mick

They're excellent live too.  I saw them at the House of Blues in 2018 on the Living the Dream Tour.  Myles sounds exactly the same live, and we were close enough to the stage that you could see the texture of Slash's hat.

• Like 4

Testament- Titans Of Creation 

I was indifferent to this when it came out. Not sure why, this is awesome!

• Like 2

Rhapsody- Symphony Of Enchanted Lands II (The Dark Secret)

An odd one: the last album under the Rhapsody moniker, but also the first of a new saga. So it sits oddly on Spotify, not really belonging in either strictly (it's under Rhapsody Of Fire).

This one took me a while to get into. I loved Rhapsody for the POWER METAL, but for this album and the next (Triumph Or Agony) they somewhat soften. It's not commercial, but it's more symphonic. But hey ho, I love it now.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Unlimited Love

Not my first listen, but I have a few more thoughts built up now.  From a pure songwriting standpoint this doesn't really hold a candle to their classic records. Everything is well written and there are a few interesting twists and turns which are mostly successful, but there are no Scar Tissues or Can't Stops in the mix, nor any If You Have To Asks or Give It Aways.  That said, Flea's never been more on top of his game, stealing the spotlight like every other track, pulling from an endless river of funky and smooth rhythms with prime note choices. And the mix is, no joke, better than anything since Blood Sugar Sex Magic. It's a real treat for the audiophile in me.  This is a record you put on just to hear the Chili's play like only they can, bouncing off of one another's strengths as though John never left the band (again).  They pull off everything from their standard funk inflected alt rock, to heavy punk, to psychedelic jamming, and to folksy and even country tinged balladry. A few different songs feature total tempo and dynamic shifts reminiscent of classic prog rock, and while that's not a new influence for the Peppers, it's always entertaining to hear a band of their stature pull something out of left field midway through an already good song, if only to see what they come up with.  Or maybe I'm just such a massive prog nerd that those kinds of transitions which might take most listeners out of a song reel me right back in, lol.  It's nothing far out there, but a nice touch to keep things from getting boring. I wouldn't expect it to get anywhere near the legacy of BSSM, Californication, or even By The Way, but I imagine a lot of RHCP fans will find themselves reaching for this pretty often when the classics feel a bit worn out.

• Like 3

Super American - Sup

Hot Rod Circuit - Sorry About Tomorrow

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Simple Plan - Still Not Getting Any

Simple Plan - Harder Than It Looks

Speak Low If You Speak Love - Nearsighted 

Hot Rod Circuit - If I Knew Now What I Knew Then

Hot Rod Circuit - If It's Cool With You, It's Cool With Me

• Like 1

• The topic was locked