Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

On 7/6/2022 at 3:52 PM, treeduck said:

allan-holdsworth-none-too-soon.jpg

asia-arena.jpg

Hey, I heard John Payne's got an album coming soon under the Asia With John Payne name. I'm pretty hyped for it. Hoping its a follow up with a similar style to Silent Nation

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ST3V said:

Hey, I heard John Payne's got an album coming soon under the Asia With John Payne name. I'm pretty hyped for it. Hoping its a follow up with a similar style to Silent Nation

Who else is in the line-up?

1 minute ago, treeduck said:

Who else is in the line-up?

I'd assume it'd be the current touring lineup for Asia With John Payne. I don't know any details but it would be neat to see appearances from people like Govan or Downes. 

2 minutes ago, ST3V said:

I'd assume it'd be the current touring lineup for Asia With John Payne. I don't know any details but it would be neat to see appearances from people like Govan or Downes. 

But in all reality, it'd probably be more similar to his Dukes of the Orient stuff, considering that debut album was supposed to be an Asia Ft John Payne album but was released under a different name under respect for Wetton's recent passing at the time.

Mercury-Act-2

After hearing Evolve I thought to myself "With an album that isnt even half good coming after 2 masterpieces

surely they can't make an album worse than this."

Then Mercury Act 1 came out. "Ok, this time though, they surely can't make an album worse than this..."

And well, I was right. So far.

I like pretty much half of Act 2's 18 songs, while on Act 1 only about 4 of its 13 were worthwhile. It seems I tend to like their slower songs better.

The not so great songs on Act 2 were for the most part better than all the not so great songs from Act 1. (In other words, the bad songs here are better than the bad songs on that one.) 

It gives me hope that theyll keep gettting back to a sound I enjoy, but then again so did Origins.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ST3V said:

And what about Bumblefoot? Have Bumblefoot AND Guthrie Govan, they're big pals too!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ST3V said:

But in all reality, it'd probably be more similar to his Dukes of the Orient stuff, considering that debut album was supposed to be an Asia Ft John Payne album but was released under a different name under respect for Wetton's recent passing at the time.

I have the DUKES albums!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ST3V said:

Mercury-Act-2

After hearing Evolve I thought to myself "With an album that isnt even half good coming after 2 masterpieces

surely they can't make an album worse than this."

Then Mercury Act 1 came out. "Ok, this time though, they surely can't make an album worse than this..."

And well, I was right. So far.

I like pretty much half of Act 2's 18 songs, while on Act 1 only about 4 of its 13 were worthwhile. It seems I tend to like their slower songs better.

The not so great songs on Act 2 were for the most part better than all the not so great songs from Act 1. (In other words, the bad songs here are better than the bad songs on that one.) 

It gives me hope that theyll keep gettting back to a sound I enjoy, but then again so did Origins.

I think we’ve talked about this before. But anyway, I really enjoyed Evolve. To me it was far more consistent than Smoke And Mirrors and was the first real sign they would not just be a flash in the pan. On the other hand, Origins left me totally cold. Best thing about that album was it’s art. I haven’t heard Act II yet, but I did enjoy Act I. Not without some reservations here and there, but to me that was the true return to the maximalist endeavors of Smoke And Mirrors, only with some key lessons in efficiency and space learned from Evolve. Hoping I like Act II.

• Like 1

Rilo Kiley - Takeoffs And Landings

Why this wasn’t recommended to me simultaneously with Death Cab and Jimmy I’m not sure, but it’s great.

27 minutes ago, treeduck said:

And what about Bumblefoot? Have Bumblefoot AND Guthrie Govan, they're big pals too!

Ahh good thinking. I mean, it wouldn't hurt. If anything, it'd bring more publicity

• Like 1

Journey-Freedom.

i wasn't excited with this based on the singles and they proved me.................RIGHT:laugh:

What a souless money grabbing shit record.  the songs are  i can't say bad but this is a band sleep walking.  lazy harmonies, cut and paste hooks.

and the production is really muddy and bad.

honestly i went into this with low expectations.  i wanted to be pleasently surprised but god damn it this is just vapid.

Mick

• Like 1

The songs themselves are pretty good here but the mixing isn't so great, and Timo Tolkki's guitar tone is as bad as ever. Tolkki formed a supergroup of reputable power metal musicians and really let it go to waste.

71zCMi3OtSL._SL1059_.jpg

Saxon- Saxon 

There is just something about this album that I love so, so much.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Slash, Myles Kennedy-4 (9/10)

I don't care what anyone says.  i LOVE this pairing.  they just good fun hard rock records.  I've loved every album.

Mick

I don't care what anyone says, I don't 😂

• Like 1

Saxon- Wheels Of Steel 

Yes I love the debut, but I love this even more! It features my favourite Saxon song, 747 (Strangers In The Night). I really enjoy Saxon these days. I should dig more into this era.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I don't care what anyone says, I don't 😂

shut up and enjoy your fukking metal no one asked you.......LAST HERO BLOWS CHUNKS

AND SAXON EATS DICKS.

AND YOU.............ARE POOPY!!!!!!!

:laugh:

mick

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

shut up and enjoy your fukking metal no one asked you.......LAST HERO BLOWS CHUNKS

AND SAXON EATS DICKS.

AND YOU.............ARE POOPY!!!!!!!

:laugh:

mick

I remember discussing the new Queensryche stuff with Segue and we both thought that it was solid old school sounding metal but we can hear that style done better by other bands. That's how I feel about Saxon. I listen to them and think yeah that's fine but why wouldn't I just listen to Priest or Maiden instead and hear it done better.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I remember discussing the new Queensryche stuff with Segue and we both thought that it was solid old school sounding metal but we can hear that style done better by other bands. That's how I feel about Saxon. I listen to them and think yeah that's fine but why wouldn't I just listen to Priest or Maiden instead and hear it done better.

i've played a few albums because Segue was frothing......they were....uh........fine.  they were Iron Maiden with a less competent Bruce Dickinson:biggrin: (seriously i think Saxon's vocalist is the drawback)

and who needs diet Maiden when you got the real thing?

Mick

• Like 1

• The topic was locked