Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Alice Cooper-Brutal Planet (8/10)

After a Iffy 80's and 90's i wasn't sure what to expect outta this.

but i like it.....a lot.  it's very VERY 2000's metal and of it's time but he makes it work while still being uniquly Alice

Brutal Planet

Wicked Young Man

Sanctuary

Blow Me A Kiss

Pick up The Bones

Gimme

It's The Little Things

Take it Like A Woman.

all great songs and this album is almost like a true re-birth IMO.

Mick

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Whenever I listen to Heroes it usually ends up lasting about an hour and 37 minutes because I always put To Hell and Back on repeat at least ten times.

Damn, that song is catchy.

It's a fantastic album! I have owned Coat Of Arms, Carolus Rex and Heroes for a few years now, but barely played them. I'm really getting into more power metal lately, and they are just consistently great fun. And being a history nerd, I love the lyrics and stories. They have a YouTube channel called Sabaton History where they creat short documentary videos about the history behind the songs. I love that kind of nerdiness! 

I liked them before, I think I can say I love them now.

• Like 1

MDQtNTUzMC5qcGVn.jpeg

New Rammstein album Zeit.

Rammstein are not everyone's cup of tea but I really like them. The new album does not disappoint.

11 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Alice Cooper-Brutal Planet (8/10)

After a Iffy 80's and 90's i wasn't sure what to expect outta this.

but i like it.....a lot.  it's very VERY 2000's metal and of it's time but he makes it work while still being uniquly Alice

Brutal Planet

Wicked Young Man

Sanctuary

Blow Me A Kiss

Pick up The Bones

Gimme

It's The Little Things

Take it Like A Woman.

all great songs and this album is almost like a true re-birth IMO.

Mick

was it your first time listening to it? I really enjoy it, it's very manson-esque except from a christian perspective rather than some weird pseudo-sanitist. Dragontown is a de facto sequel and almost as good. this was a very cool era for Alice and i'm glad he did it. 

I still have to listen to his most recent album, and Paranormal was fine, it's nice to have him end off how he started with straightforward 70s style hard rock tunes, but it's a shame about his voice. .

This song apparently was a reject from the pretties for you era, which again just goes to show that his earliest two albums could have been great too if it weren't for a certain producer mishandling him :P

1 minute ago, Mr. Not said:

was it your first time listening to it? I really enjoy it, it's very manson-esque except from a christian perspective rather than some weird pseudo-sanitist. Dragontown is a de facto sequel and almost as good. this was a very cool era for Alice and i'm glad he did it. 

I still have to listen to his most recent album, and Paranormal was fine, it's nice to have him end off how he started with straightforward 70s style hard rock tunes, but it's a shame about his voice. .

This song apparently was a reject from the pretties for you era, which again just goes to show that his earliest two albums could have been great too if it weren't for a certain producer mishandling him :P

i had listened to it once a long time ago so i forgot it.  this was like my first time.

you would think Alice and Korn Style 2000's metal would be awful and cringe.  but he pulls it off quite well.  great guitar solos are there too.

Mick

• Like 1

Alice Cooper- Love It To Death 

I'm enjoying this! Played this one about four times now. I'm not going to race through AC's discography, I'm happy for now to find a gem and live with it.

I have to say, AC based on this album alone is definitely intriguing. I'm not really a fan of any of the big hits (though I'm partial to some covers of Poison over the original), so this is a bit of a revelation.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

Alice Cooper- Love It To Death 

I'm enjoying this! Played this one about four times now. I'm not going to race through AC's discography, I'm happy for now to find a gem and live with it.

I have to say, AC based on this album alone is definitely intriguing. I'm not really a fan of any of the big hits (though I'm partial to some covers of Poison over the original), so this is a bit of a revelation.

I always wondered why "Caught in a Dream" was never a single by him, that's the song i listen to most from this album along with dwight fry.

but i really enjoyed this album for quite some time as I was discovering him as well. it's been too long since I've last listened to it

2 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

i had listened to it once a long time ago so i forgot it.  this was like my first time.

you would think Alice and Korn Style 2000's metal would be awful and cringe.  but he pulls it off quite well.  great guitar solos are there too.

Mick

Korn style metal? That's the first I have ever heard anyone call the album that. I don't hear Korn anywhere on this. It was always said that the album had a big Marilyn Manson influence on it and I definitely hear that.

Which brings up another debate. Who's the least talented between Manson and Korn? Manson made it big the laziest way possible by doing a cover of a song that was already a massive hit. While Korn was equally unoriginal in their own right as they completely copied Faith No More's signature bass sound. I'll go with Korn. Everyone does covers but it takes some real talentless hacks to rip off a band's sound and make it their own.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Korn style metal? That's the first I have ever heard anyone call the album that. I don't hear Korn anywhere on this. It was always said that the album had a big Marilyn Manson influence on it and I definitely hear that.

Which brings up another debate. Who's the least talented between Manson and Korn? Manson made it big the laziest way possible by doing a cover of a song that was already a massive hit. While Korn was equally unoriginal in their own right as they completely copied Faith No More's signature bass sound. I'll go with Korn. Everyone does covers but it takes some real talentless hacks to rip off a band's sound and make it their own.

i haven't listened to enough of either to say, but i love KXM and will say that ray luzier is a heavyweight drummer. it's incredibly lame to note any hint of influence as 'theft', if korn's bassist cites faith no more as an influence then who cares? they're completely different bands. 

The Cranberries - To The Faithful Departed

wait…this isn’t mid. Why doesn’t this get half the attention their first two get? This album rocks! And it’s not just more of the same either, it’s way heavier in general. Like they took what worked so well on Zombie and ran with it!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

The Cranberries - To The Faithful Departed

wait…this isn’t mid. Why doesn’t this get half the attention their first two get? This album rocks! And it’s not just more of the same either, it’s way heavier in general. Like they took what worked so well on Zombie and ran with it!

Ignore the critics, they never released a bad album. I don't really understand the hate some of their records get, especially this one, from the music press.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treeduck said:

queensryche-empire.jpg

riverdogs.jpg

stryper-against-the-law-52.jpg

Not sure I'm familiar with Riverdogs? Amy good?

• Like 1

Just now, Segue Myles said:

Ignore the critics, they never released a bad album. I don't really understand the hate some of their records get, especially this one, from the music press.

I’ve never seen any hate for it, I’ve just never seen any anything for it. It’s like all the historians agreed The Cranberries stopped releasing anything worth talking about after their second album, until In The End of course.

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I’ve never seen any hate for it, I’ve just never seen any anything for it. It’s like all the historians agreed The Cranberries stopped releasing anything worth talking about after their second album, until In The End of course.

In the UK, some of the old music magazines would disregard their music. I think their first five albums are great, but honestly they never dipped for me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

In the UK, some of the old music magazines would disregard their music. I think their first five albums are great, but honestly they never dipped for me. 

I definitely need to check out more. I think the US must’ve just gotten bored with them after Zombie, which I think is their biggest hit over here by a fair margin. But their music is so full of depth and so resonant, it’s a wonder to me they haven’t had a bigger cultural reappraisal since I can here so much of what they were doing still echoing today.

11 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Not sure I'm familiar with Riverdogs? Amy good?

It's the band Vivian Campbell joined after leaving Whitesnake and before he teamed up with Lou Gramm in Shadowking. And he left Shadowking to join Def Leppard. And yeah it's a good album.

• Like 1

Dream Theater- A View From The Top Of The World 

I love this album. Like all my favourite Dream Theater albums, I wasn't convinced at first. Exquisite, can happily say I love it more than Distance Over Time, which Mick I am sure is happy to hear 😂

• Like 4

• The topic was locked