Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

terrible artwork, great album

this band is sort of unknown in general, but the guitarists in this band are incredibly talented.

even though the rhythm guitar is nothing too defiant from the norm for power metal, there's still some unusually complex playing at times.

s-l400.jpg

Imagine seeing that thing next to you when you woke up in the middle of the night??

it's too scrawny to be threatening!

google search their cover their album: Carpe Diem -- i think after this album they decided they should be better marketing their albums somehow :P

terrible artwork, great album

this band is sort of unknown in general, but the guitarists in this band are incredibly talented.

even though the rhythm guitar is nothing too defiant from the norm for power metal, there's still some unusually complex playing at times.

s-l400.jpg

Imagine seeing that thing next to you when you woke up in the middle of the night??

it's too scrawny to be threatening!

google search their cover their album: Carpe Diem -- i think after this album they decided they should be better marketing their albums somehow :P

Well so is a ferret but if it got hold of your finger it'd shred it down to the bone. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

• Like 1

Alice in Chains-Dirt (10/10)

Easily my fav album from the "grunge" era and it's not close. a really dark brutal affair that normally would be hard to listen too but man is it addicting. )really sad pun cause the album is in part like an addict's diary) i played it 3 times yesterday, lol

Mick

It sometimes surprises me to think about how an album this dark became so popular. It's like are some people even aware how dark this thing is or do they just really like the songs and don't think about the meaning too much. The same could be said for most of their material. But Dirt really is next level dark.

• Like 3

Easily my fav album from the "grunge" era and it's not close. a really dark brutal affair that normally would be hard to listen too but man is it addicting. )really sad pun cause the album is in part like an addict's diary) i played it 3 times yesterday, lol

Mick

It sometimes surprises me to think about how an album this dark became so popular. It's like are some people even aware how dark this thing is or do they just really like the songs and don't think about the meaning too much. The same could be said for most of their material. But Dirt really is next level dark.

i confess i never much Payed attention. but i started reading lyrics to albums and i had the wind knocked outta me. Depression Addiction suicide fantasies. this album is a dark hell. is it any wonder Layne wound up dead. he's telling you basically where he's headed. and this album was MASSIVE. i remember seeing these videos and hearing these songs as a boy. and god damn it this album was mainstream, lol

wouldn't happen today.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

Lol, I think I traded moods with Mick and maybe Segue today. Had been on a lot of dark moody stuff recently, but this morning:

Alan Parsons Project - Turn Of A Friendly Card

Yes - 90125

Van Halen - Fair Warning

2 of those are actually their respective bands' high water marks. Parsons was apparently an engineer on Let it Be, which is the last thing he did that I find even remotely interesting.

I dig Parsons but I don't absolutely love much from him. Games People Play is a definite exception. Classic classic song. Also he was an engineer on DSOTM soo......

Mick

i confess i never much Payed attention. but i started reading lyrics to albums and i had the wind knocked outta me. Depression Addiction suicide fantasies. this album is a dark hell. is it any wonder Layne wound up dead. he's telling you basically where he's headed. and this album was MASSIVE. i remember seeing these videos and hearing these songs as a boy. and god damn it this album was mainstream, lol

wouldn't happen today.

Mick

I took immediate notice of how dark it was, and it scared me. I think I came away from my first listen about the same as the first time I listened to The Wall. Scared of the level of depression and self-destruction I just witnessed, unable to even say I liked it. Eventually both albums clicked for me, but Dirt is absolutely a dark and unforgiving beast, Rooster being the only spark of light on the record.

On the other hand, my favorite grunge album has to be Superunknown. Sure Dirt gets very real and gritty and literal with its darkness and abuse in ways Superunknown cannot, but once again, Dirt has Rooster. I find that song perhaps the most inspirational song of the whole grunge era. It's the only light at the end of an otherwise primally black tunnel. Superunkown has no such reassurance to break from its psychological horror, unless you can count a song about a man who plays the Spoons. It starts off bleak and ends by romanticizing the euthanasia of a poor bird by likening it to suicide... I'm not saying that's a good reason for it to be my favorite grunge album, but nevertheless it remains my favorite.

• Like 2

R U S H

M O V I N G P I C T U R E S

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 6

Iron Maiden- Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (10/10)

Iron Maiden- Dance Of Death (9/10)

Really feel like the modern era of Maiden is phenomenal and I overlook it because it just so happens it somehow still isn't their best era. Dance Of Death is such a great album.

• Like 3

I’ve been on a huge Blue Note jag for the past couple of weeks:

Art Blakey

Moanin’

Caravan

Buhaina’s Delight

Drums Around the Corner

Art Blakey!!!!! Jazz Messengers!!!!!

Free For All

Herbie Hancock

Takin’ Off

My Point of View

Empyrean Isles

Inventions and Dimensions

Maiden Voyage

Speak Like a Child

Fat Albert Rotunda

The Prisoner

Hank Mobley

Roll Call

No Room for Squares

Jackie McLean

Consequences

Jackknife

Lee Morgan

Lee Morgan Indeed!

Here’s Lee Morgan

City Lights

Candy

The Cooker

Lee Way

Sonic Boom

Tom Cat

The Sidewinder

Cornbread

The Rumproller

Infinity

The Procrastinator

The Gigolo

Caramba

The Search for the New Land

Live at the Lighthouse

Really feel like the modern era of Maiden is phenomenal and I overlook it because it just so happens it somehow still isn't their best era. Dance Of Death is such a great album.

I feel like fans forget about Dance Of Death. I'm not sure why since it's better than every album that has come after. It easily has the best balance between the faster rockers and longer epics.

• Like 1

I feel like fans forget about Dance Of Death. I'm not sure why since it's better than every album that has come after. It easily has the best balance between the faster rockers and longer epics.

I'm not sure I think it's better than everything that came after. Senjutsu especially. But it's got its own vibe and I love it. It's more experimental than Brave New World, but actually improves upon it in some ways. I think BNW might be the better album of the two but I enjoy DoD more.

Every time I listen to modern Maiden I wonder why we always talk about their eighties output like it's untouchable. They have done extraordinarily well for themselves in the 21st century! And the songs keep on getting better with age!

• Like 1

I'm not sure I think it's better than everything that came after. Senjutsu especially. But it's got its own vibe and I love it. It's more experimental than Brave New World, but actually improves upon it in some ways. I think BNW might be the better album of the two but I enjoy DoD more.

Every time I listen to modern Maiden I wonder why we always talk about their eighties output like it's untouchable. They have done extraordinarily well for themselves in the 21st century! And the songs keep on getting better with age!

there really isnt that much difference between the two. example......if you go back and listen they've actually always done the repeated hook thing modern maidan is just longer songs so it sticks out. the two eras aren't really different.

Mick

there really isnt that much difference between the two. example......if you go back and listen they've actually always done the repeated hook thing modern maidan is just longer songs so it sticks out. the two eras aren't really different.

Mick

Agreed, but the difference I think is that when they had to contend with vinyl length, they knew how to edit

But everything I disliked about BNW I now enjoy, so go figure...

• Like 1

• The topic was locked