Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Type O Negative Bloody Kisses (9/10)

where has this band been al my life.........like a weird blend of the Doors, Beatles, some metallica and weirdly 10cc (their "offensive" humour is similar to Godley and Creme era 10cc)

brilliant album.

Mick

If Dracula could sing, he would sound like Peter Steele. I got into Type O back in 1993 when I saw them and King's X open for Motley Crue. This was around the time Bloody Kisses was released. My friend and I left the show being more impressed with them than anything else. And yes, that lineup was one of the most f***ed up, mismatched, one of these things is not like the others concert I have ever been to.

I would certainly give October Rust a listen and World Coming Down as well. Warning about World Coming Down, it's the darkest, bleakest and most depressing album from them. You may have to be in the right mood to listen to it. Man, did that Peter Steele hate himself.

World Coming Down is an absolute masterpiece and I honestly think it's both my favourite and the album I listen too the least, because it's just so depressing.

I love the humour and the sincerity of their early albums, but I love the second half of their discography just as much.

All killer, no filler.

Just listened through Dead Again while working out

Gotta say, this is my favorite for a lot of reasons, but it's definitely remaining my #1 -- and sort of for the opposite reason you consider World Coming Down

Dead Again's upbeat and motivational while not overlooking the darker side of all the issues presented - heartbreak, drug abuse, falling out with family/friends, etc. really a one of a kind album. Tripping A Blind Man's one of my favorite songs for sure

This is how you spend life

Amused by another's strife

Makes me so sad

And confused

Someone's pain, your leisure

Can't explain sick pleasure

I'm so glad I'm not you

Patience is divine

But the virtue is not mine

Turn you cheek gets ripped off

That's why we're given four

Throwing wrenches gave a false sense of power

What started sweet will soon

Turn sour, oh so sour, yeah

You think it's your place to dispense justice

Well I've been sent to judge the judges

You're done well

So well

She Burned me Down:

Pissed and disappointed I prey to learn to forgive

If I can't find it in my heart then I have no reason to live

Here is an education - the lesson professed is quite cruel

There are some things worse the death and one of them is you

And those are just two examples of course. Their early stuff never really had this sort of maturity going for it until October Rust.. In an interview Peter said that since they started the band as older guys (they were all in their early 30s at its inception) their lyrics weren't typical of rock music, since they saw the world differently than younger guys. This became truer as time went on, and is why I really admire the pseudo-priesthood of the older near-death Peter Steele on Dead Again.

This was a perfect song to end their legacy with, imo:

This is a phenomenal album, so yes love your post!

• Like 1

Pink Floyd-Animals (10/10)

i love the whole album. but you know what a lot of peo hardly talk about? Roger waters.....Dude's not talked about as a great on the bass. BUT....dudes putting in WORK on this album......i really focus in on it. dudes doing some funk lines and licks. to the point where......who knows if it's all him, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4

Blind Guardian- At The Edge Of Time (9/10)

I see some hate for this album but I have to say I think it's practically perfect! Reminds me of Sonata Arctica's The Days Of Grays in its production (that album is a year older), and the fantasy nerdathon of the lyrics is perfect for me.

• Like 1

220px-Supertramp_-_Breakfast_in_America.jpg

220px-Supertramp_-_Crime_of_the_Century.jpg

220px-Murray_Head_-_Say_It_Ain%27t_So.png

I haven't heard this album for about 35 years ..... it sounds surprisingly good still.

• Like 4

Pink Floyd-Animals (10/10)

i love the whole album. but you know what a lot of peo hardly talk about? Roger waters.....Dude's not talked about as a great on the bass. BUT....dudes putting in WORK on this album......i really focus in on it. dudes doing some funk lines and licks. to the point where......who knows if it's all him, lol

Mick

Yeah I think the reason Roger never gets much praise for his bass work is the fact that Gilmore is known to have recorded certain bass parts in the studio, but not how many or how often. Roger I think viewed himself as more of a director, and a concept driver, than a technician. Figures since he dropped out of architecture school, lol. Arkie school is where you get all the idealism behind the profession, but post graduation is when you really start seeing the practical technical side of things, which I’m betting Roger took one look at and said “NOPE!”

But, yes, Animals is fantastic, easily my favorite from Floyd, and the bass work throughout sets the tone for all of the color on top of it.

• Like 1

Yesterday:

Prince Daddy And The Hyena - I Thought You Didn't Even Like Leaving

Prince Daddy And The Hyena - Adult Summers EP

Prince Daddy And The Hyena - Cosmic Thrill Seekers

Today:

Carly Cosgrove - Woah, Just Take It Easy Man. EP

Carly Cosgrove - See You In Chemistry

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Unlimited Love

Super American - Sup

Edited by Super25Smasher

Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here- (10/10)

your looking at a band of my heart and soul here.

11 or 12 year old mick Discovering an old CD of This album and another of Dark Side in my brother's closet. and having my mind blown into bits.

god i love this band.

Mick

• Like 5

Blind Guardian- Imaginations From The Other Side (9/10)

Epica- The Divine Conspiracy (9/10)

• Like 1

Twenty One Pilots - Twenty One Pilots (first real listen, really good! Really Musey actually, but you can hear all sorts of influences plain as day as well, but still great songs and a very unique approach even when ripping certain ideas straight from other bands)

Rush - Presto (still way better than RTB)

Porcupine Tree - Blackest Eyes (tried paying more attention to lyrics, since the music seem to serve the story often with this band, interesting stuff)

• Like 1

What's the verdict?

It's incredible. Definitely their best in a long time. It's full of variety. John Frusciante was exactly what they needed.
  • Like 1

What's the verdict?

It's incredible. Definitely their best in a long time. It's full of variety. John Frusciante was exactly what they needed.

What were your thoughts on The Getaway?

• Like 1

What's the verdict?

What were your thoughts on The Getaway?

I think I liked it more than I'm With You, but I didn't love every song like I do with several of their other records. Dark Necessities, We Turn Red Goodbye Angels, Detroit, and This Ticonderoga were my favorites.
  • Like 2

Only-Passing-Through-Pattern-Seeking-Animals.jpg?resize=500%2C500&ssl=1

New album from PSA ... a band featuring past/present members of Spock's Beard.

Very good prog rock. Highly recommended.

• The topic was locked