Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Between Hope and Fear - Spirits EP

I miss these guys. They were a local band from around my area. I saw their self-titled album's release show back in Fall 2018. They broke up in early 2019. They released this EP last year, which featured finished versions of leftover songs before their breakup.

Rush- Moving Pictures (10/10)

This is my favourite Rush album at the moment, pretty much as it should be. This was my first Rush album and I can't think of a better introduction to any band, ever. It may also be my vote for greatest album of all time, by anyone. Ever.

Rush- Roll The Bones (9/10)

Probably the albums I have played the most by Rush the last two years. Near faultless for me.

• Like 3

Aly and AJ - A Touch of the Beat Gets You Up on Your Feet Gets You Out and Then Into the Sun

I love the 60s and 70s influence on this album. Nancy Wilson of Heart appears on a song

Styx- The Grand Illusion (8/10)

Styx- Pieces Of Eight (10/10)

I think these two albums are majestic masterpieces, albeit an uneven one in the case of TGI.

• Like 3

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (their best album if you ask me)

Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American (well it was on in the background at work, didn't hear much of it though)

Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree (addicting, always gets me singing along)

Yes - The Yes Album (still my favorite of theirs, no way around it)

Yes - Fragile (but this is their best production effort, every instrument is crystal clear yet they fold into one another in 3 dimensions to create sweet music... and whatever Bruford's piece is, lol)

Yes - Close To The Edge (ah but then there's this, much denser and thus a bit less immaculate sounding than Fragile... but the music is the quality of their best bits from the last two records all the way through, really this would be my favorite if I wasn't so attached to TYA)

Yes - Going For The One (after three albums of only long songs, Yes prove they can still write shorter ones.... though they used to be able to do it better... and the music didn't used to be this difficult to pull apart... but it has Awaken! An iconic song somewhere between South Side Of The Sky and The Gates Of Delirium, just fantastic. And hey, Turn Of The Century is pretty great too)

David Bowie - Live At Nassau Coliseum (Shabadedo ba bay, shabadedo! Wham bam fantastic!)

• Like 3

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (their best album if you ask me)

Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American (well it was on in the background at work, didn't hear much of it though)

Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree (addicting, always gets me singing along)

Yes - The Yes Album (still my favorite of theirs, no way around it)

Yes - Fragile (but this is their best production effort, every instrument is crystal clear yet they fold into one another in 3 dimensions to create sweet music... and whatever Bruford's piece is, lol)

Yes - Close To The Edge (ah but then there's this, much denser and thus a bit less immaculate sounding than Fragile... but the music is the quality of their best bits from the last two records all the way through, really this would be my favorite if I wasn't so attached to TYA)

Yes - Going For The One (after three albums of only long songs, Yes prove they can still write shorter ones.... though they used to be able to do it better... and the music didn't used to be this difficult to pull apart... but it has Awaken! An iconic song somewhere between South Side Of The Sky and The Gates Of Delirium, just fantastic. And hey, Turn Of The Century is pretty great too)

David Bowie - Live At Nassau Coliseum (Shabadedo ba bay, shabadedo! Wham bam fantastic!)

I was thinking of playing Yes last night. I love them, I think it's time!

Styx- Kilroy Was Here (5/10)

I don't hate it. It's about 50/50 trash and partly good to great. I really truly hate listening to Mr. Roboto band Heavy Metal Poisoning, but there are some lovely moments here.

Survivor- Eye Of The Tiger (9/10)

I love this album. I still think the title track is a strange song for Survivor. It's iconic, but little in their discography sounds like it. The song remains killer though, and the rest of the album is superb. I have the Rock Candy remaster and it's just brilliant to listen too.

Rush- Permanent Waves (10/10)

It's a perfect masterpiece.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

10cc-Deceptive Bends(9/10)

this was the first without Godley and Creme and i think this and Bloody Tourists are both great efforts. sure more commercial but that's what happens when your left with the pop-ier half of the group, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

[Two classic live albums from 85

I've only become aware fairly recently what a poor front cover World Wide Live is. The lit up stage pick in the background may have been pretty good, but nah lets superimpose band members over the top of it.

Then again, apart from Blackout and Tokyo Tapes, when did the Scorps ever have a decent cover ?

The bonus disk with the reissued Love At First Sting and recorded at MSG, is actually a better album, in my opinion.

The Maiden album is great...LONG BEACH DESTROYED MY HEARING !!!

As a bit of trivia, I've often wondered who the person was who shouts Motherf***er before i think Flight of Icarus, and if he knows he's featured on the album ?']

scorpions-world-wide-live.jpg

iron-maiden-live-after-death-bonus-disc.jpg

Edited by alpha p
  • Like 2

Iron Maiden- Senjutsu (9/10)

Still obsessed with this album.

• Like 2

I read this week that Bruce said they plan on playing the entire album when they do a proper tour to support it. That might be worth going to just to see and experience the bordem of the crowd. Stratego and Hell On Earth should at least pick things up a bit. Don't know about the rest of the album though.

• Like 2

I read this week that Bruce said they plan on playing the entire album when they do a proper tour to support it. That might be worth going to just to see and experience the bordem of the crowd. Stratego and Hell On Earth should at least pick things up a bit. Don't know about the rest of the album though.

As much as I love the album, I really think bands should ponder carefully if their latest album is actually the ONLY thing fans want to hear played live.

I mean this could work, and they haven't had a chance to really play anything off this yet, but surely even the most die hard Senjutsu fans would rather hear Somewhere In Time played in full

• Like 3

i love this album but realy????!!! i think that's a stupid conceit of any legacy band. dude no one there is going for your new album. they're going to get wasted and drunkenly sing The Trooper and puke on the person next to them, lol

sorry iron Maiden if that's a harsh truth, lol

Mick

• Like 2

As much as I love the album, I really think bands should ponder carefully if their latest album is actually the ONLY thing fans want to hear played live.

I mean this could work, and they haven't had a chance to really play anything off this yet, but surely even the most die hard Senjutsu fans would rather hear Somewhere In Time played in full

I think Megadeth did it well when they toured for Dystopia. When they first started the tour they were only playing the lead single live. Fans started complaining that they needed more new stuff. Everyone was loving the album. So, as the tour progressed they got rid of some of the old standards and started adding in new stuff. They were doing five off it by the time I saw them. I think they ended up playing seven or eight songs from it by the time the tour finished.

Now that's how a legacy band should handle playing a lot of new stuff. If everyone is like "where's the new shit?" Then they should listen. But if it's like Maiden where the majority of fans are thinking "that's cool and all but it's too much new shit! f***in Icarus m***********!" Maybe they should scale back on the new stuff

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

• The topic was locked