Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Yesterday:

Demi Lovato - Don't Forget

Demi Lovato - Here We Go Again

Kesha - Warrior

Vixen - Tangerine

Katy Perry - One of the Boys

Well now there’s a few names I didn’t know you liked!

I like a good amount of pop, especially from the late 2000s and early to mid 2010s. The Demi and Katy albums are much more rock-leaning, and that Kesha album has some rock influence, plus a collaboration with Iggy Pop.

• Like 1

Yesterday:

Kesha - Warrior

Vixen - Tangerine

I like a good amount of pop, especially from the late 2000s and early to mid 2010s. The Demi and Katy albums are much more rock-leaning, and that Kesha album has some rock influence, plus a collaboration with Iggy Pop.

Perhaps I need to check them out...

When I was first getting into music in junior high and high school, Katy and Kesha were probably the biggest names in pop music, along with Gaga. So given that I started out by getting into classic rock radio and guitar hero, I avoided modern pop like the plague. Nowadays I can recognize and enjoy great pop when I hear it, though I don't seek much of it out, but I still haven't really checked out those pop artists who were on top of the world in the early 2010s. I do know I don't care for Firework from Katy nor do I care for Kesha's early dance hits, though I understand why they are loved. Demi was still on Disney channel at the time, and I didn't really expect her subsequent music career to go any further than Selena Gomez's (which somehow is still going despite a profound lack of publicity for it...). I haven't really heard much of her stuff period, not even hits.

• Like 1

Yesterday:

Kesha - Warrior

Vixen - Tangerine

Perhaps I need to check them out...

When I was first getting into music in junior high and high school, Katy and Kesha were probably the biggest names in pop music, along with Gaga. So given that I started out by getting into classic rock radio and guitar hero, I avoided modern pop like the plague. Nowadays I can recognize and enjoy great pop when I hear it, though I don't seek much of it out, but I still haven't really checked out those pop artists who were on top of the world in the early 2010s. I do know I don't care for Firework from Katy nor do I care for Kesha's early dance hits, though I understand why they are loved. Demi was still on Disney channel at the time, and I didn't really expect her subsequent music career to go any further than Selena Gomez's (which somehow is still going despite a profound lack of publicity for it...). I haven't really heard much of her stuff period, not even hits.

I avoided all of it for a while, but I'm really glad I gave it a chance. There were some great songs during that period. Katy's second album, Teenage Dream, is better than her debut in my opinion, but One Of The Boys is much more of a rock album. Kesha's first album Animal and subsequent EP Cannibal are mostly dance-pop tracks like the singles you know. There's a few of those on Warrior, but it's much more varied than her debut. There are some rockers and some organic-sounding ballads. Demi's first two albums are full of pop punk and power pop jams, with some nice ballads thrown in. Both of those albums are great fun. It gets gradually poppier from there. The artwork for Don't Forget screams pop punk, and features Demi holding a Gibson SG Edited by Super25Smasher
  • Like 1

Judas Priest- Sad Wings Of Destiny (10/10)

I only have the Complete Albums Collection box set edition, which apparently restores the track listing to what the band initially wanted. So it opens with Prelude and not the anthem that is Victim Of Changes.

I really love this album, and I think it's a masterpiece either way you listen too it. One of the greatest albums of the seventies. Yes most of the songs here sound better live but the actual vocal layering and the production of this album still sounds insane to me in 2022.

I can't get over how brilliant Judas Priest were in the seventies. They were almost a genre to themselves and WOW

• Like 5

Supertramp-Even In the Quietest Moments (10/10)

Been re-visiting this band (and 10cc) Both bands are criminally underrated. Quietest Moments is actually my fav of the famous 4. not a single weak cut on here. Lover Boy is my fav. that shit is a bop.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

Been re-visiting this band (and 10cc) Both bands are criminally underrated. Quietest Moments is actually my fav of the famous 4. not a single weak cut on here. Lover Boy is my fav. that shit is a bop.

Mick

EITQM is my favorite too. Lover Boy is incredible, From Now On is perfect, and of course there's Fool's Overture!

• Like 2

Mick

EITQM is my favorite too. Lover Boy is incredible, From Now On is perfect, and of course there's Fool's Overture!

You know what occured to me? Supertramp is kinda like the British Steely Dan. very clean production. kinda jazzy. weird quirky lyrical sensibility. Supertramp is just a touch prog-ier. no wonder they click with me, lol

Mick

• Like 3

Mick

You know what occured to me? Supertramp is kinda like the British Steely Dan. very clean production. kinda jazzy. weird quirky lyrical sensibility. Supertramp is just a touch prog-ier. no wonder they click with me, lol

Mick

I always thought of them as a more cheerful Pink Floyd, but your comparison makes sense as well.

• Like 2

Mick

:ebert:

'Tramp are one of my favorite bands from a purely sonic standpoint. Great production, instrumentation, vocal harmonies.

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

I always thought of them as a more cheerful Pink Floyd, but your comparison makes sense as well.

Both are good descriptions. :)
  • Like 2

Aly and AJ - Insomniatic

A Greater Danger - Desolate Odyssey EP

A Greater Danger is a local post-hardcore/metalcore band from my area. They're great live. They just released their second EP today, 5½ years after their first.

Supertramp-Crime of the Century (10/10)

this band (in the classic lineup anyway) really knew how to make albums that were emersive experiences AND make albums devoid of any fat.

i mean

School

Bloody Well Right

Hide in your Shell

Asylum

Dreamer

Rudy

If Everyone was Listening

Crime of the century

Yes that's the entire record. and none of it lags or is anything below perfection IMO.

Mick

• Like 3

this band (in the classic lineup anyway) really knew how to make albums that were emersive experiences AND make albums devoid of any fat.

i mean

School

Bloody Well Right

Hide in your Shell

Asylum

Dreamer

Rudy

Crime of the century

Yes that's the entire record. and none of it lags or is anything below perfection IMO.

Mick

I still don't understand how they often get overlooking in discussions about greatest prog bands, greatest 70s bands, greatest 70s albums, etc. They should make every one of those lists at a respectable placement!

• Like 2

Rush- Moving Pictures (10/10)

Rush- Hold Your Fire (9/10)

Rush- Snakes And Arrows (7/10)

Lacuna Coil- Comalies (10/10)

Judas Priest- Rocka Rolla (6/10)

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

i mean

School

Bloody Well Right

Hide in your Shell

Asylum

Dreamer

Rudy

Crime of the century

Mick

I still don't understand how they often get overlooking in discussions about greatest prog bands, greatest 70s bands, greatest 70s albums, etc. They should make every one of those lists at a respectable placement!

i'm guilty of pushing them aside. it's true. they were pretty damn big in the 70's in the States but since then their stock fell hard. and the 3 songas i hear on radio are only

logical Song

Take the Long Way home

Goodbye Stranger.

great songs BTW (Especially Goodbye Stranger.....god what a song!!!) but come on there's way more there.

Mick

• Like 2

Supertramp-Crisis? What Crisis? (9/10)

this is my least fav of the classics (right a mere 9, lol) but..... i have an observation i'm more of a Rick Davies guy than a Roger Hodgson guy.

he's got al the songs that are dirty and nasty and a lot also swing

Bloody Well Right

Asylum

Rudy

Ain't Nobody but Me

Another Man's Woman

Lover Boy

and i could go on.......Roger's the more Theatrical side and poetic and spiritual.

but the nasty grit in Ray's voice and sarcastic Donald Fagen like delivery is more my style.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

this is my least fav of the classics (right a mere 9, lol) but..... i have an observation i'm more of a Rick Davies guy than a Roger Hodgson guy.

Bloody Well Right

Asylum

Rudy

Ain't Nobody but Me

Another Man's Woman

Lover Boy

and i could go on.......Roger's the more Theatrical side and poetic and spiritual.

but the nasty grit in Ray's voice and sarcastic Donald Fagen like delivery is more my style.

Mick

I'm also more of a Ray guy. Rodger is great, but if it was all him all the time things would get a bit annoying. You need Ray to come in and add some soul to the proceedings.

• Like 1

Bloody Well Right

Asylum

Rudy

Ain't Nobody but Me

Another Man's Woman

Lover Boy

Mick

I'm also more of a Ray guy. Rodger is great, but if it was all him all the time things would get a bit annoying. You need Ray to come in and add some soul to the proceedings.

also i think they were a great counter balance. the all ray era doesn't hit the same i've only heard a few but...roger did leave a hole.

Mick

• Like 2

• The topic was locked