Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Billy Joel-Cold Spring Harbor (5/10)

putting aside this was released at the wrong speed and he sounds like a chipmunk. This really doesn't give much an indication where he'd wind up.

rhe only 2 songs that do are She's Got A Way and Everybody Loves You Now. the rest is run of the mill period typical sing/songwriter stuff. not bad but flick on any radio on the time and you can hear it done much better.

the Follow-up would improve in leaps and bounds. it took literally 1 album for billy to start grab footing.

i love billy so much.

Mick

• Like 4

Billy Joel-Piano Man (7/10)

just with this album alone you can hear pieces falling into place. it's Still got shining moments. 2 all out classics in Piano Man and Captain Jack (my vote for best junkie song ever BTW) and Concert staple Billy the Kid. the album tracks are a little lesser but it has a warmth the debut was missing.

also he was recording in LA at the time and he hated it cause they wouldn't let him use his touring band to record. so the performances on the first 3 albums are stiff as hell. and if you've seen joel's original touring band (i have minus 1 member who had died) you know he had one of the best most fire touring bands ever.

Good album not quite there yet.

Mick

• Like 5

just with this album alone you can hear pieces falling into place. it's Still got shining moments. 2 all out classics in Piano Man and Captain Jack (my vote for best junkie song ever BTW) and Concert staple Billy the Kid. the album tracks are a little lesser but it has a warmth the debut was missing.

also he was recording in LA at the time and he hated it cause they wouldn't let him use his touring band to record. so the performances on the first 3 albums are stiff as hell. and if you've seen joel's original touring band (i have minus 1 member who had died) you know he had one of the best most fire touring bands ever.

Mick

I just got SS on vinyl along with Wu-Tangs debut over the weekend. You seen Last Play At Shea? I highly recommend it. I saw it on Tubi recently.

• Like 2

Billy Joel-Streetlife Serenade (8/10)

the last of his LA trilogy. Billy has said he hates this album. it's my fav of the first 3. the Title Song is one of the more interesting early pieces he did. LOVE los Angelenos to death. Roberta is a classic Joel ballad. Great Suburban Showdown.....forgotten gem of a song. the Big hit here is the entertainer. Studio band or not i love the drumming on this song!!! all in all VERY underrated album.

the great thing about billy is every album. He grew little by little. the next album he'd move out to New York. Get his Road band in the studio and IMO what i consider his golden period begins.

Mick

• Like 6

Mick

I just got SS on vinyl along with Wu-Tangs debut over the weekend. You seen Last Play At Shea? I highly recommend it. I saw it on Tubi recently.

yes i have seen it......and i also have the concert itself. Great stuff.

Mick

• Like 2

Billy Joel-Turnstiles (9/10)

What a difference a couple years and a band makes!!! this album really saw a more invigorated Joel sstep into himself. now back in NY with his road band. he put together his cohesive group of songs to date.

Say Goodbye to Hollywood (fitting opener)

Summer Highland Falls

NY State of Mind

James

Angry Young Man

I've Loved These Days

Miami 2017.

that's basically the whole album.......Damn Billy hurt me, lol basically the whole album minus 1 song (All she Wants to Do is Dance.....it's bad, lol) would be all become concert classics. the album did nothing at the time but it's a fav among fans.

the only thing it needed was better production......and......oh boy was it coming!!

Mick

• Like 5

Billy Stranger (9/10)

this is it. the breakthrough.....the monster.

As i said it is overplayed but there's np denying how immaculate it all is.

Movin' Out

The Stranger

Just The Way You Are (Scmaltzy as fuckk....barry manilow just came, lol.)

Vienna

Scenes (my fav joel Tune)

Only the Good Die Young

She's Always A Woman

the Last two tunes are weaker but ok.

as i said.....Phil Ramone came on board and made Billy and Company sound like a million bucks....a true hitmaker sound. it is SOOOOOOO 70's but billy's music never sounded better than with Phil and mainly Phil in the 70's. when the 80's come the music misses something without this specific sound.

Phil became an unofficial member of the band.

By the way......this album's cover and the Stranger "theme" with the whistling scared the ever loving shit out of 8 year old me, lol never played that song in the dark as a kid.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 5

Billy Joel-Turnstiles (9/10)

What a difference a couple years and a band makes!!! this album really saw a more invigorated Joel sstep into himself. now back in NY with his road band. he put together his cohesive group of songs to date.

Say Goodbye to Hollywood (fitting opener)

Summer Highland Falls

NY State of Mind

James

Angry Young Man

I've Loved These Days

Miami 2017.

that's basically the whole album.......Damn Billy hurt me, lol basically the whole album minus 1 song (All she Wants to Do is Dance.....it's bad, lol) would be all become concert classics. the album did nothing at the time but it's a fav among fans.

the only thing it needed was better production......and......oh boy was it coming!!

Mick

Still my personal favorite Joel album.

• Like 1

Billy Joel-The Nylon Curtain (10/10)

this album is billy getting moree artsy (for him) and it's my fav Billy album. it's very John Lennon like in it's sound and vocals actually. it had 3 hits in Allentown, Pressure and Good night Saigon

but some of my fav atr the album cuts

Laura (very Lennon)

Room of Our Own

No Surprises (GREAT drum sound!!)

Scandinavian Skies (VERY VERY Lennon, lol)

Where's the Orchestra? (Love the Allentown musical reprise at the end)

this would mark the end of billy's golden era for me. he would still continue to pump out hits till the end. but a fire sort of left him after this album and he became merely good as opposed to great. but that run of 5 albums makes him an all time fav for me.

Mick

• Like 4

• The topic was locked