Hating Rush

Timbale

Rush is my favorite band of all time but I totally get why someone wouldn't like them.

Ironically enough, I was talking to someone about Rush and Status Quo (she liked them), and she said: "Why the heck would you want to listen to Rush?!"

I said: "Why would you want to listen to Status Quo?!"

She shut up pretty quick, looking stunned. I don't think she expected it.

I'm not sure if that constitutes anything, (I like some Status Quo songs) but that was the first and only time I ever managed to shock someone into silence. I didn't meant to, but it fell out of my mouth before I could stop it.

The review posted above could be summarised by the final line - "Much of what the band does – such as The Spirit of Radio, a new song they introduced to their fans last night – is wildly exciting." If I was an editor I would have loved to reduce the reviewer`s contribution to this line in a big, bold typeface.

I also keep looking at this thread and wondering if someone will say, "Yep, I hate `em, I`m out!"

I've only met one person who would admit to truly hating RUSH. The conversation started when I pulled up jamming Freewill. His favorite band was The Stones and he was all about roots rock and feel and soul and what not. I told him that I was totally into all that but could enjoy abstract and classically influenced progressive stuff and really anything that was well done. You should have I more open mind about music I said. He told me than an open mind means that junk will fall in it. LOL

He was about 60 and was giving my car a state inspection.

• Like 2

Anyone with me with the hypothesis that maybe,just maybe if they never donned the kimonos there would of been a little more love?

������

haha nah, I think sadly Rush were at their coolest during the kimona era! :)

It was Geddy's voice that many say said they didnt like. Which was fine w me, f them. lol

Maybe a little off topic, but I'm going to say it anyway.

One of the very few things I hate about Rush doesn't have anything to do with style, music or lyrics.

What I do hate is the obvious money grab (at least it's obvious to me) that Rush has been doing for the last decade or more.

Look, Rush is touring, let's buy outrageously priced tickets! (cha-ching!)

Let's buy some overpriced merchandise! (cha-ching!)

Let's record a DVD of the album and sell bunches of them! (cha-ching!)

Let's do all of this at least every 2 years! (cha-ching!)

I got to the point where I eventually stopped after paying $40 for the privelege of sitting on the grass in the back to see this band, however great they were.

I loved any truly new material that came out from them (Clockwork Angels), but the endless touring, merchandising and DVD marketing just grated against me.

It was overkill....JMO.

One of the very few things I hate about Rush doesn't have anything to do with style, music or lyrics.

What I do hate is the obvious money grab (at least it's obvious to me) that Rush has been doing for the last decade or more.

I got to the point where I eventually stopped after paying $40 for the privelege of sitting on the grass in the back to see this band, however great they were.

I loved any truly new material that came out from them (Clockwork Angels), but the endless touring, merchandising and DVD marketing just grated against me.

It was overkill....JMO.

I hear you but it was really quite simple why they stepped it up the last 20 years...the whole music "machine" was turned on it's head because of the internet there was no money to be made with album sales anymore.Remember the old days they'd put out two records in one year the tour was just a means to get the new album exposed.The Time Machine Tour did seem like a record suits ingenious masterplan to get out on the road again but lets be honest,the guys were just making sure their retirement funds were nice and healthy

• Like 3

Hate is not the right word, too strong of a term but I really didn't enjoy Ged's vocals past Vapor Trails or R30 and I don't listen to most of the live concerts from their late era tours. It's not just his range but he also lost a lot of expression. His 70's voice circa 1975-'79 was phenomenal and what I enjoyed the most. I know he was older and doing the best he could but his strain and yodeling was just cringy to listen to on the final few tours
  • Like 2

Hate is not the right word, too strong of a term but I really didn't enjoy Ged's vocals past Vapor Trails or R30 and I don't listen to most of the live concerts from their late era tours. It's not just his range but he also lost a lot of expression. His 70's voice circa 1975-'79 was phenomenal and what I enjoyed the most. I know he was older and doing the best he could but his strain and yodeling was just cringy to listen to on the final few tours

His voice was best from HYF thru the R30 tour.

I think as a singer, he gave up enunciation as a compromise to maintain range. When I hear a lot of the live stuff from the mid 2000s on...if I didn't know the words to some of the older songs, I would have no idea what he's singing. I'm always a little shocked to go back to Exit Stage Left after watching a few more modern live clips and hear how precise his enunciation was in the early 80s.

• Like 1

Is this becoming a "list the reasons you hate part of Rush's output" thread? Because I feel like that's not what the OP intended.
  • Like 2

It was overkill....JMO.

For a different take on that subject, I missed out on Rush when I was a teenager. Then I became a fan in my 40s and count myself very lucky that I made it in time for their late-career surge. I saw Rush live as often as I could between 2007 and 2015, loved every single one of those gigs and never regretted a penny spent on them. I'm deeply thankful they released concert videos and recordings from each of those tours because when I watch them they bring back happy memories of some of the best times I've had in my life. What grated on you continues to provide me with an on-demand source of joy and comfort, an excellent return on money long since spent and forgotten.

Thank you, :rush: :wub:

• Like 1

Big ticket prices are a thing for every major act. It's how they make money - since album revenue these days is almost nothing.

Someone with more industry insight, please correct me if I'm wrong.

So what if the band was 'selling stuff'? As a fan there's no obligation to buy, right? So what's the real issue here? 'They sold out!!!' or something like that? So what if they did. Who wouldn't want to be succesful and cash in, given the opportunity? Like I said before - no obligation to buy.

If I don't like what a band or product is doing, I find another band or product. Or nothing. Life goes on.

• Like 1

Big ticket prices are a thing for every major act. It's how they make money - since album revenue these days is almost nothing.

Someone with more industry insight, please correct me if I'm wrong.

So what if the band was 'selling stuff'? As a fan there's no obligation to buy, right? So what's the real issue here? 'They sold out!!!' or something like that? So what if they did. Who wouldn't want to be succesful and cash in, given the opportunity? Like I said before - no obligation to buy.

If I don't like what a band or product is doing, I find another band or product. Or nothing. Life goes on.

Plus there do exist many Rush fans who will buy just about anything they put out. I know I have all of the deluxe 40th anniversary box sets so far. If the audience for it is there, why not put it out?

• Like 4

It’s all about aesthetics. Rush didn’t follow the blueprint of punk rock and fitting in with a particular “ scene” they were 3 nerds from Canada who wrote sci fi epics and the Ayn Rand influence didn’t help . They were just never considered cool , and in any music scene that’s huge. It’s why someone like Joan Jett gets more respect than rush , because she’s considered “ cool “
  • Like 1