The Official "I gots to get paid", er, 2021 NCAA College Football Thread.

pjbear05

Brian Kelly leaves ND for LSU

Not yet official....

But from what I’m hearing from my college friends all signs point to yes, which is so contrary to everything Notre Dame stands for I can’t rationalize it.

Don't kid yourself. Notre Dame stands for greed and making money. Even more so than most other bigtime schools.

You go to school there? Cuz I did. Yeah there’s a lot of money in the school but that ain’t what Notre Dame’s all about.

You keep telling yourself that. A 12+ billion dollar endowment and 54 million in profits annually from the just the football program and yet it's still one of the most expensive universities in America.

Not after you see the financial aid package. They put it right within reach for anyone they accept. It's not cheap, no, but the real price has a lot more to do with how much you can afford than whatever it says on the sticker.

• Like 1

Other than the money, why on earth would a coach leave ND for LSU? Oh, wait, there is nothing other than the money.

I dunno, maybe he'd like to prove to himself he can beat the Bamas and Goergias of the world when he has access to the same talent (since he'll now be at a top SEC program). It's been obvious that ND hasn't had the same level of talent as the top SEC schools and (it kills me to say this) Ohio St.

All that said, the money doesn't hurt either. :)

This is I think the reason. He's been at ND 12 years, reached the playoffs / championship 3 times (maybe 4 depending on how things go this weekend) and hasn't been able to beat the biggest of the big dogs, despite beating most everyone else. The reason for the talent differential? DuLac (the student handbook) sure isn't helpful, but higher academic standards I'm betting turn away certain recruits as well.

• Like 1

Other than the money, why on earth would a coach leave ND for LSU? Oh, wait, there is nothing other than the money.

I dunno, maybe he'd like to prove to himself he can beat the Bamas and Goergias of the world when he has access to the same talent (since he'll now be at a top SEC program). It's been obvious that ND hasn't had the same level of talent as the top SEC schools and (it kills me to say this) Ohio St.

This is I think the reason. He's been at ND 12 years, reached the playoffs / championship 3 times (maybe 4 depending on how things go this weekend) and hasn't been able to beat the biggest of the big dogs, despite beating most everyone else. The reason for the talent differential? DuLac (the student handbook) sure isn't helpful, but higher academic standards I'm betting turn away certain recruits as well.

The student handbook is a complete non-issue.

Not yet official....

But from what I’m hearing from my college friends all signs point to yes, which is so contrary to everything Notre Dame stands for I can’t rationalize it.

Don't kid yourself. Notre Dame stands for greed and making money. Even more so than most other bigtime schools.

You go to school there? Cuz I did. Yeah there’s a lot of money in the school but that ain’t what Notre Dame’s all about.

You keep telling yourself that. A 12+ billion dollar endowment and 54 million in profits annually from the just the football program and yet it's still one of the most expensive universities in America.

Not after you see the financial aid package. They put it right within reach for anyone they accept. It's not cheap, no, but the real price has a lot more to do with how much you can afford than whatever it says on the sticker.

OK.

Is the aid package a loan or a grant?

Not yet official....

OK.

Is the aid package a loan or a grant?

Both. Part one part the other. I have loans, but not an insurmountable amount.

Maybe, maybe not. On one hand if you're really interested in ND in the first place you're probably willing to accept private Catholic schools just have stricter rules. On the other hand, gender segregated dorms that you're required to live in for three years, plus parietals (no women in men's dorms after midnight and vice versa)... these aren't exactly attractive qualities to most teenagers. But you're probably right. I'm sure great recruiters know how to make it a non-issue.

Maybe, maybe not. On one hand if you're really interested in ND in the first place you're probably willing to accept private Catholic schools just have stricter rules. On the other hand, gender segregated dorms that you're required to live in for three years, plus parietals (no women in men's dorms after midnight and vice versa)... these aren't exactly attractive qualities to most teenagers. But you're probably right. I'm sure great recruiters know how to make it a non-issue.

I'm guessing, if questioned, all the recruiter would need to say is: How many football players has ND successfully recruited in the last 20 years? How many of them have had sex? How many of them have been suspended for it? Zero.

The poster who brought this up did it for puerile reasons and shouldn't be taken seriously.

• Like 2

I'm guessing, if questioned, all the recruiter would need to say is: How many football players has ND successfully recruited in the last 20 years? How many of them have had sex? How many of them have been suspended for it? Zero.

The poster who brought this up did it for puerile reasons and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Leave him be. He couldn't be happier. Even though he still checks up on an ex from well over a decade ago.

Leave him be. He couldn't be happier. Even though he still checks up on an ex from well over a decade ago.

Holy Moroni you're dense. My ex and I have a friendly relationship and my son told me. I didn't ask. It fails the common sense test that I'd care if she's dating or remarried, but that's par for your course.

Edited by Fordgalaxy

Holy Moroni you're dense. My ex and I have a friendly relationship and my son told me. I didn't ask. It fails the commen sense test that I'd care if she's dating or remarried, but that's par for your course.

Whatever you say Skippy. I'm not sure you're the best arbiter of what would constitute common sense on the board but Hey, you do you.

Brian Kelley signs a $95,000,000 (plus incentives), 10 year contract while the guy playing third string tight end can't even work at Chick-fil-A.

And neither can the All American who suffers a season ending knee injury playing for that same coach. The players need to be paid. They're putting their bodies on the line.

• Like 1

Defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman named new Irish coach.

I've been thinking this over since Kelly's betrayal...

Marcus Freeman is an upgrade. I can not wait to see how the Irish play in the bowl / playoff.

Marcus Freeman is an upgrade. I can not wait to see how the Irish play in the bowl / playoff.

Kelly has always seemed like an arrogant, authoritarian asshole to me.

• Like 2

Days ago I would've disagreed pretty wholeheartedly. But there are lines you only cross if you fit such a description, and leaving the way he did, as suddenly as he did, when your team may still get into the playoffs... that's crossing a lot of them.

• Like 1

Days ago I would've disagreed pretty wholeheartedly. But there are lines you only cross if you fit such a description, and leaving the way he did, as suddenly as he did, when your team may still get into the playoffs... that's crossing a lot of them.

There are a few stories I could post that fit the description I gave above.

Like the one about when he invited the graduate assistants at CMU to the team Christmas party...to shovel snow.

• Like 2

Like the one about when he invited the graduate assistants at CMU to the team Christmas party...to shovel snow.

Stories I'd heard of maybe once in my time at ND, but are sinking in now as they come back out of the woodworks. I had forgotten that a Notre Dame student died on his watch.

• Like 1

Stories I'd heard of maybe once in my time at ND, but are sinking in now as they come back out of the woodworks. I had forgotten that a Notre Dame student died on his watch.

Taping practice from a hydraulic lift with 50-60 mph winds.

• Like 1

Brian Kelley signs a $95,000,000 (plus incentives), 10 year contract while the guy playing third string tight end can't even work at Chick-fil-A.

That is obscene.
  • Like 2

Utes are finally PAC 12 Champions!! :clap: :cheerleader: :yay: After 11 years in the league they finally won, 3rd time the charm. It was so cool to have so many fans there making noise for our boys. So happy for Coach Whit and the team. Plus they dedicated the win to Ty and Aaron, they have been the inspiration for them all season. :wub: Rose Bowl bound :madra: :yes:
  • Like 2

So then Oklahoma St. has already fukked shit all up. I still expect a Georgia and Michigan win but that opens the door for the endlessly crappy in the playoffs Notre Dame to get in. And if Cincy loses, they and Notre Dame will have one loss each and Cincy BEAT THEM head to head. But trust me, Note Dame will get in over Cincy cuz ESPN will want it that way cuz ratings and ratings mean cash. And if Cincy loses we'll get a 2 loss NON champion Alabama in as well. Pathetic.

Utah would beat Notre Dame by 10.

• Like 3