The Official "I gots to get paid", er, 2021 NCAA College Football Thread.

pjbear05

10 hours ago, blueschica said:

UCLA and USC have apparently applied to join the Big 10 conference. Details to be finalized over the next few days. :popcorn: 

This totally came out of the blue, no idea how it is going to shake down for the PAC.  Utes will have a bumpy road ahead.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rhyta said:

This totally came out of the blue, no idea how it is going to shake down for the PAC.  Utes will have a bumpy road ahead.

It's a little hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of 16 teams in the Big 10, and the potential travel times. And I wonder what it will mean for the Rose Bowl?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blueschica said:

It's a little hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of 16 teams in the Big 10, and the potential travel times. And I wonder what it will mean for the Rose Bowl?

Maybe the Rose Bowl becomes the Big 10 (+6) championship game?

The levels of money-grubbing, attention-seeking, and fatuous logic here are pegging out the needle, even for big time schools. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

The levels of money-grubbing, attention-seeking, and fatuous logic here are pegging out the needle, even for big time schools. 

What's your opinion of Notre Dame?  Affiliated with the ACC in all sports except football, are they in a "join or die" situation?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

What's your opinion of Notre Dame?  Affiliated with the ACC in all sports except football, are they in a "join or die" situation?

Good question! I think this is going to be quite the stress test for just how independent ND can continue to be. I suspect that they'll be able to stay above the fray until there are only two or four superconferences, and they want their champions to be the Football Final Four.

There are also likely to be scheduling challenges for Notre Dame as the others fill up on conference games and creampuffs from D1-A or D2 getting a payday. If they can't find six or seven quality opponents, their national champ hopes are dimmed, and that's the starting point for their concept of self.

We should do a West Of the Mississippi vs. East of the Mississippi. Or maybe an NL vs. AL style.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 4:32 AM, Nova Carmina said:

It's always about that. Mo money.

• Like 3

There's a not so fine line between optimism and delusion, and I think the new Vanderbilt coach has crossed it, and bigly.

“We know in time Vanderbilt will be the best football program in the country,” Lea said, according to college football insider Brett McMurphy.

Keep in mind, Vanderbilt has more losing seasons than winning seasons in its program history, has only even appeared in a bowl game seven times ever, and has had a winning season in the SEC just three times in the past 70 years.

In other news, Miami coach Mario Cristobal announced he is ending the use of The Turnover Chain.  The awarding of the gold Cuban link chain to a Hurricanes player responsible for a turnover against opposing teams in post play celebration has spawned a number of spinoffs, including Oregon State's Turnover Chainsaw.

A football analyst named the "Kick Six" game as the most depressing college football loss, but only for Alabama fans. In my 50 some years of watching college football, that was the most exciting and memorable finish I've ever seen. The topper on the whole thing was Satan Saban jumped up and down and got belligerent so they'd put time back on the clock to have the chance to kick a field goal, and it bit him, but hard. They ended up losing to the Sooners in whatever bowl game which, as a long time Sooner fan, ended the season in sublime fashion.

Ah, the memories.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 5:04 PM, Nova Carmina said:

Good question! I think this is going to be quite the stress test for just how independent ND can continue to be. I suspect that they'll be able to stay above the fray until there are only two or four superconferences, and they want their champions to be the Football Final Four.

There are also likely to be scheduling challenges for Notre Dame as the others fill up on conference games and creampuffs from D1-A or D2 getting a payday. If they can't find six or seven quality opponents, their national champ hopes are dimmed, and that's the starting point for their concept of self.

We should do a West Of the Mississippi vs. East of the Mississippi. Or maybe an NL vs. AL style.

From what I've read the Big 10 is gunning for ND to join in every way they know how.  I want to stay independent, but I'm afraid an offer ND can't refuse is coming within the next couple year.

Also, I have such little confidence for the ND vs. OSU season opener in a few weeks. All the odds are in Ohio's favor, and ND just lost it's best WR to a torn ACL during training, for the whole season.  My hopes are low.

• Like 2