US 1, Maine: Labor Day Weekend Road Trip

JohnRogers

I’m not even sure I’ve even ever been to Staten Island. I know the perception is not very good but I can’t say for one way or the other what it’s actually like!
  • Like 1

I think Staten Island?

I remember Staten Island as being nice, but that was three decades ago.

I’m not even sure I’ve even ever been to Staten Island. I know the perception is not very good but I can’t say for one way or the other what it’s actually like!

It used to be nice. A long time ago.

It's evolved(devolved?) into a place to be escaped from. Mission accomplished.

Don't bother visiting, there's nothing there but overcrowding, strip malls, endless grey townhouse developments (they knock down 1 house and build 4), nasty drivers, high density red light and speed cameras..... Plus, you'd have to pay for the privilege of experiencing all that. I think it's > $15 now to get onto the rock.

I mean, there are still a lot of good people there. Like any place. But it's more of a zoo than any place I've ever been.... Not recommended. That negative perception is based on a lot of reality.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

Nicks-Chance-Whale-Watching-Cruise-image-1.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&fit=crop&crop=faces&w=629&h=354

Thats the boat i was on TODAY.

Was that Kennebunkport?

Yes ! ♥

I took my girls to the Bass Harbor Lighthouse to watch the sunrise a few weeks back. There were whales and seals in the water just about 50 yards offshore. I think my retirement plan is coming into place. April through July at home in Mass. August and September in Bar Harbor. October through Christmas in Mass. Then head to Tucson until April. Just have to determine whether we'll have the drivable RV or the 5th wheel.

• Like 2

I think Staten Island?

Don't bother visiting, there's nothing there but overcrowding, strip malls, endless grey townhouse developments (they knock down 1 house and build 4), nasty drivers, high density red light and speed cameras..... Plus, you'd have to pay for the privilege of experiencing all that. I think it's > $15 now to get onto the rock.

I mean, there are still a lot of good people there. Like any place. But it's more of a zoo than any place I've ever been.... Not recommended. That negative perception is based on a lot of reality.

Is Todt Hill still exclusive?

I think Staten Island?

Is Todt Hill still exclusive?

It is. It's nice up there. Gorgeous views too.... the highest natural point on the Eastern Seaboard.

• Like 1