US 1, Maine: Labor Day Weekend Road Trip

JohnRogers

Labor Day Weekend is usually spent down the shore. With my wife and I engaging in like 72 hours of day drinking at my sister-in-law's favorite tiki-bar and night boozing at her back yard patio. Planing when to leave and return is always some discussion of Parkway shore traffic. While always fun we're looking to boozing less and doing something different this year. I'm always wanting a road trip.

I've decided on a road trip doing some US 1 along the Maine coast in the 1999 Trans Am. The 1978 Dodge just finished the long slog for Detroit's Woodward Dream Cruise. I'll post my ideas here and take into consideration your expert advice.

First question, is Boston, Kennebunkport, Portland, just going to be an over crowded mess that weekend?

240644606_10225857128204249_5985356799556215805_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=0yX-j639tDIAX-m6OSG&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=c4509062a0aa469a887ce9466582c049&oe=6131621A

• Like 2

Day One: My lovely wife will be working from home. We can split from Fort Lee NJ at 4:30. I'd like to get to Boston for the night. Stay somewhere around the Revere Beach area, do some water front dining?

Day Three: Portland to Freedom, there is something we want to see there, The Lost Kitchen. Then Freedom to Rockland for the rest of the day. Overnight there then head straight back Monday morning for 8 hours of drive time.
  • Like 1

Labor Day Weekend is usually spent down the shore. With my wife and I engaging in like 72 hours of day drinking at my sister-in-law's favorite tiki-bar and night boozing at her back yard patio. Planing when to leave and return is always some discussion of Parkway shore traffic. While always fun we're looking to boozing less and doing something different this year. I'm always wanting a road trip.

I've decided on a road trip doing some US 1 along the Maine coast in the 1999 Trans Am. The 1978 Dodge just finished the long slog for Detroit's Woodward Dream Cruise. I'll post my ideas here and take into consideration your expert advice.

First question, is Boston, Kennebunkport, Portland, just going to be an over crowded mess that weekend?

240644606_10225857128204249_5985356799556215805_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=0yX-j639tDIAX-m6OSG&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=c4509062a0aa469a887ce9466582c049&oe=6131621A

Boston won't be, Kennebunkport probably won't be either. However, if you're planning on leaving Maine any time on Monday, allocate A LOT of time.

Boston won't be, Kennebunkport probably won't be either. However, if you're planning on leaving Maine any time on Monday, allocate A LOT of time.

Oh wow yeah. It would probably be quicker to head West from Portland toward New Hampshire and then come South into Massachusetts around around Leominster or so. Is or even all the way across to Vermont and turn South on 91. Not sure where your end goal is to wind up but anything around Boston or even 495 is going to be a very busy road coming South.

Day One: My lovely wife will be working from home. We can split from Fort Lee NJ at 4:30. I'd like to get to Boston for the night. Stay somewhere around the Revere Beach area, do some water front dining?

You live in Fort Lee??????? Too bad you missed Callahan's: https://www.pinteres...09548861072693/

They had the best hot dogs.

P.S. If you want to avoid traffic on the parkway, either head home at 1 or 2 in the afternoon or head down the shore at midnight.

:blah: We now return you to Boston.

Take it, Rick!

Edited by Lorraine

Glad you got to do the Woodward Dream Cruise! My cousin is from Detroit and has done it quite a few times. Sounds like fun.

Oh wow yeah. It would probably be quicker to head West from Portland toward New Hampshire and then come South into Massachusetts around around Leominster or so. Is or even all the way across to Vermont and turn South on 91. Not sure where your end goal is to wind up but anything around Boston or even 495 is going to be a very busy road coming South.

We'll leave early and let Waze point the way.

You live in Fort Lee??????? Too bad you missed Callahan's: https://www.pinteres...09548861072693/

P.S. If you want to avoid traffic on the parkway, either head home at 1 or 2 in the afternoon or head down the shore at midnight.

Take it, Rick!

I was there back in the before time for the Callahan's vs Hiram's battle days.

• Like 1

Glad you got to do the Woodward Dream Cruise! My cousin is from Detroit and has done it quite a few times. Sounds like fun.

Our fourth year. I've really become a fan of Woodward Dream Cruise Eve. If you ever go hit me or your cousin up for tips.

239266210_10225836701333590_3556372177578121119_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=5RKc_D1L69gAX8EcAAN&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=43a229783941c09eb4587dd6ad94677b&oe=6136B9E1

• Like 1

Take it, Rick!

A New Jersey man was arrested today as he was driving on 95 North in Wakefield. State Police said that John Rogers of Newark was pulled over for listening to synth-era garbage by the defunct rock band Rush. Police say that after a brief scuffle on the side of the road, Rogers was placed in custody, where he'll be arraigned in Malden District Court on Tuesday morning on charges of committing unnatural acts. Rogers' wife, who asked not to be identified, informed police at the scene that she was going to continue on to a pre-planned vacation in Maine, and was looking forward to the unexpected peace and quiet.

Rogers' attorney, who also requested anonymity, in an unusual move indicated he would be asking Middlesex County District Attorney Marian Ryan to contemplate seeking the death penalty in this case, even though capital punishment was abolished in 1984 in Massachusetts.

• Like 5

Take it, Rick!

A New Jersey man was arrested today as he was driving on 95 North in Wakefield. State Police said that John Rogers of Newark was pulled over for listening to synth-era garbage by the defunct rock band Rush. Police say that after a brief scuffle on the side of the road, Rogers was placed in custody, where he'll be arraigned in Malden District Court on Tuesday morning on charges of committing unnatural acts. Rogers' wife, who asked not to be identified, informed police at the scene that she was going to continue on to a pre-planned vacation in Maine, and was looking forward to the unexpected peace and quiet.

Rogers' attorney, who also requested anonymity, in an unusual move indicated he would be asking Middlesex County District Attorney Marian Ryan to contemplate seeking the death penalty in this case, even though capital punishment was abolished in 1984 in Massachusetts.

"...synth-era garbage..."

Harsh.

• Like 2

Take it, Rick!

I was there back in the before time for the Callahan's vs Hiram's battle days.

Very impressive. :yes: I've been to Hiram's too, but I always maintained that the same family owned both places to eliminate any competition.

Take it, Rick!

Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.

Are you really going to meet him? Give each other a hug for me. I'd ask you to give each other a smooch for me, but, well, you know ... those lice .....

I'm half an hour north of Ft Lee, small world.

I used to live about 45 minutes south of Ft Lee...45 on a good commute day. Not so nice. SI. LOL.

• Like 1