Ed Asner, RIP

JohnRogers

Ed was 91.

Though he has only appeared in three episodes, 91-year-old veteran actor Ed Asner has had a memorable role in the Karate Kid sequel series, Cobra Kai, playing the step-father to William Zabka’s Johnny Lawrence. In fact, Asner not only appeared in the first episode of Cobra Kai, but his scene was the first one that Zabka shot for the series. It didn’t go exactly as Zabka thought it might, as he relayed to Marc Maron on this week’s WTF podcast.

“My first scene on the show was with Ed Asner, who took me to school,” Anser told Maron, who has also worked with Asner in the past. “He plays my estranged Dad, and we’re doing rehearsal, and he calls me over and he says, ‘Is there anything else I can give you.’ And I say, ‘No, you’re doing great. How about you? Is there anything I can give you?”

“And [Anser] goes, ‘Oh go f**k yourself.'”

“He did it in character,” Zabka said, “and he rattled me, and he. got me in this place, and I’m like, ‘Sh*t! Did Ed Asner really say that to me? But no, he was doing this device, which he does all the time off-camera.”

It was a hell of a way to kick off the new series, but at least according to Maron, Zabka nailed the role of middle-aged Johnny Lawrence.

RIP Ed, good actor. He was very good as Bart Jason, the villain in El Dorado with John Wayne, Robert Mitchum and James Caan.

Obviously Lou Grant as well.

He's the first one on my "Which actor will outlive all the others?" list to go.

• Like 2

Asner was brilliant as Axel Jordache, the cold-hearted, bully father in Rich Man, Poor Man. The Emmy award was well-deserved.

JlDaHTO.jpg

• Like 1

I'm sorry, to hear, see, and read this. I remember what he looked like, and some of the movies he was in. He was an exceptional actor. He will be missed, and remembered. My condolences, to his family, and friends. R.I.P., Ed.
  • Like 1