24 members have voted

1. 1. album

• The Who - Quadrophenia
    • Tears For Fears - Songs From The Big Chair
  2. 2. band

3. 3. song

• The Who - 5:15
    • Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World

I was really hoping this would be a good matchup when the first album got chosen, but alas, I'm sure it will be a mega-blowout.

I was really hoping this would be a good matchup when the first album got chosen, but alas, I'm sure it will be a mega-blowout.

It'll be a blowout, but only because Quadrophenia is an absolute monster. But for me, Big Chair would have trounced a lot of the albums from other matchups.
  • Like 6

It'll be a blowout, but only because Quadrophenia is an absolute monster. But for me, Big Chair would have trounced a lot of the albums from other matchups.

I suppose it's not the worst matchup ever. Quadrophenia is probably in top ten favorite albums of this entire forum.

That's a bingo.

That's a bingo.

:lol:

I like Tears For Fears, much more now than I did at the time...and actually, the record after this one, The Seeds Of Love, I think is a really great album. But, man, you have it up against the heaviest of hitters!

Quadrophenia is just so damn stellar. For me the run of the first 5 tracks (six if you include I Am The Sea off the top) is just the strongest run of songs I can think of on maybe any record. It dips the tiny, slightest bit for Dirty Jobs and Helpless Dancer, but then ends out side 2 with Is It In My Head (a song that should be a classic rock staple but isn't) and the magnificent Had Enough. It's so strong.

A lot of double albums sag in the second half, and sometimes I think Quad does, too...but then when I put it on I remember how good the second record is. I do think Dr Jimmy is a bit too long...but in general it all builds nicely to The Rock before the beautiful denouement of Love Reign O'er Me. There might be better Who albums, or ones that are equal at least, but I think this is Townshend's best work with the band for sure.