Bill Bruford  

16 members have voted

1. 1. when did he do his best work

• in Yes
    • in King Crimson
    • in Genesis
    • in UK
    • in some other group!
  2. 2. which of his groups do you like the best on the whole (not just when he was in it)

• Yes
    • King Crimson
    • Genesis
    • UK
    • some other group!
  3. 3. Which of these albums do you like best?

• Yes - Close To The Edge
    • King Crimson - Red
    • Genesis - Seconds Out...
    • UK - UK

Here's an idea. Let's take a look at musicians who had famous stints in multiple ensembles, and decide when they were at their peak!

Today we have Bill Bruford, drummer extraordinaire. Originally in Yes from their debut through Close To The Edge, he jumped ship to work with Robert Fripp in King Crimson from 1972-1974. After that he floated around, put together a little band called UK, left that, rejoined King Crimson for their 80s run, later rejoined Yes and AWBH for a few years, rejoined KC for their 90s run, and eventually retired. Somewhere in there he also did some live drumming for the first edition of Genesis with Phil Collins on vocals (and this was at Phil's special request). So we've got some poll questions up above, and feel free to discuss anything about Bruford or Yes or KC or Genesis or UK that you want down below, and give suggestions for other great musicians with great stints in multiple bands!

For me there's no question that the stuff he did on The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge is the most interesting, in terms of the contribution to the whole ensemble. I think his drumming stands out even more than it does on his "solo" stuff like One of a Kind.

I wasn't crazy about the big wall of Simmons drums that he was using for a while there.

Also, I'm not sure I would even count the Genesis thing. He was really more a touring musician, like Thompson. Sort of mostly replicating the original parts but putting his own spin on it? All I really have to go by is The Cinema Show on Seconds Out - or did he play on other tracks on that album? It might be useful to watch a whole show that he played with Genesis, but I haven't looked for any.

Apparently I really need to spin AWBH!

For my money though, Bruford's at his best in Crimson. I love his work with Yes, but I find myself listening to everyone else in the band much more closely than him, like his main role is keeping time and everything else is just extra. In KC it didn't seem to matter nearly as much that he keep some semblance of a steady beat (in fact I think he often tried not to). It was all about intensity and flair and improvisation, and I think that's where his playing really comes into the spotlight and sets the room on fire.

• Like 2

Here's an idea. Let's take a look at musicians who had famous stints in multiple ensembles, and decide when they were at their peak!

Today we have Bill Bruford, drummer extraordinaire. Originally in Yes from their debut through Close To The Edge, he jumped ship to work with Robert Fripp in King Crimson from 1972-1974. After that he floated around, put together a little band called UK, left that, rejoined King Crimson for their 80s run, later rejoined Yes and AWBH for a few years, rejoined KC for their 90s run, and eventually retired. Somewhere in there he also did some live drumming for the first edition of Genesis with Phil Collins on vocals (and this was at Phil's special request). So we've got some poll questions up above, and feel free to discuss anything about Bruford or Yes or KC or Genesis or UK that you want down below, and give suggestions for other great musicians with great stints in multiple bands!

You forgot to tick the public vote box.

You forgot to tick the public vote box.

Indeed I did, oops! Unfortunately it's not fixable.

Obvious answer is Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe

:haz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OtLPKEaQ1c

All I hear is Yes :7up:

though something's missing.... :ph34r:

• Like 1