Permanent Waves censored album cover

PassToBangkok

Use of the Dewey Defeats Truman headline turned out to be a copyright violation, so only a small number of copies were actually released with that artwork.

Here's one of those for sale, apparently: https://www.popsike.com/RUSH-PERMANENT-WAVES-VERY-RARE-DEWEY-DEFEATS-TRUMAN-COVER-LP-RECORD-NR-AUCTION/110996102030.html

This gives some insight to the PeW cover, though no mention of the copyright issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dpcHMnmHTI

• Like 1

... and I imagined this thread might be panties-related

oh well :unsure:

Speaking of panties, it reminds me of when l was about 8 years old. l went to the local corner store and bought the Permanent Waves bubble gum record. The lady who looked to be in her 30s working the cash register was Asian and didn't speak good English. She pointed to the panties, smiled and said "You like that one yeah?" l just smiled. Actually, l didn't even notice the panties until she pointed it out. Those bubble gum record jackets were small-about 3 inches.

• Like 1

l read about the album cover. The photo was taken in Galveston after Hurricane Carla in 1961. My grandparents had their roof damaged by Carla in Houston. That was 11 years before l was born. Edited by PassToBangkok

l read about the album cover. The photo was taken in Galveston after Hurricane Carla in 1961. My grandparents had their roof damaged by Carla in Houston. That was 11 years before l was born.

Galveston oh Galveston...
  • Like 2

l read about the album cover. The photo was taken in Galveston after Hurricane Carla in 1961. My grandparents had their roof damaged by Carla in Houston. That was 11 years before l was born.

He was a great singer.

Sang and played guitar on Pet Sounds and bass with the band on stage subbing for "mentally ailing" Brian Wilson for 4 months in late '64 and early '65.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 3

He was a great singer.

Sang and played guitar on Pet Sounds and bass with the band on stage subbing for "mentally ailing" Brian Wilson for 4 months in late '64 and early '65.

Glen Campbell was a member of the Wrecking Crew before he got his break as a singer. I read the book, it was very interesting to know all these people played on a lot of big hits. The group of studio musicians in Los Angeles in the 1960s who played on hits for the Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, Sonny and Cher, Jan & Dean, The Monkees, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Mamas and Papas, Tijuana Brass, Ricky Nelson, Johnny Rivers and were Phil Spector's Wall of Sound. What was even cooler (for me) is the bass player was a woman, Carol Kaye.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

He was a great singer.

I had no idea.

He was a great singer.

Glen Campbell was a member of the Wrecking Crew before he got his break as a singer. I read the book, it was very interesting to know all these people played on a lot of big hits. The group of studio musicians in Los Angeles in the 1960s who played on hits for the Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, Sonny and Cher, Jan & Dean, The Monkees, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Mamas and Papas, Tijuana Brass, Ricky Nelson, Johnny Rivers and were Phil Spector's Wall of Sound. What was even cooler (for me) is the bass player was a woman, Carol Kaye.

Great bass player.
  • Like 1

He was a great singer.

I know of The Wrecking Crew and knew they were basically The Monkees and that Brian used them for Beach Boys songs etc. and I know of Carol Kaye (who I believe is still alive). I did not know there was a book about them nor did I know Glen was with them for a while. I will look into the book for sure. Thnx for piquing my interest.

• Like 1

He was a great singer.

I know of The Wrecking Crew and knew they were basically The Monkees and that Brian used them for Beach Boys songs etc. and I know of Carol Kaye (who I believe is still alive). I did not know there was a book about them nor did I know Glen was with them for a while. I will look into the book for sure. Thnx for piquing my interest.

There's a bunch of documentary stuff on YouTube that is worth checking out. :)
  • Like 2

Was it just the Canadian pressings that kept the headline (almost) intact?

Yes. The Anthem pressings were the only ones. Other pressings had a number variations but the Canadian pressings seem to have made it through with the least amount of trouble.

• Like 2

Yes. The Anthem pressings were the only ones. Other pressings had a number variations but the Canadian pressings seem to have made it through with the least amount of trouble.

Actually no. As far as I'm aware, New Zealand is the only country that had the fully intact original cover design, complete with the Coca-Cola billboard. Every major market had its own version of the cover; so far I've noticed unique designs for Canada, the US, the UK, Germany, France, and New Zealand. There are probably others, but those are the most common ones.

My goal is to someday own a copy of every version. I'm trying to get my hands on a New Zealand copy, but they're rare and go for quite a bit of money.

Edited by Rush Didact
  • Like 3

Cool - I would imagine any New Zealand version of a Rush release is uncommon.

Just checked out discogs and looks like the NZ version even keeps the correct spelling of the headline. No copies up for sale atm, but looks like previous sales , this version can go for quite a bit.

Edited by taurus
  • Like 2

Just to add to the discussion,

While the 40th Anniversary release of Permanent Waves is a box set and the box cover shows the newspaper displaying "Blah, Blah, Blah", the inside album cover and the picture book both keep the error.

The headline was premature and it was Truman who won. It remained in print for most of the night before the Chicago Tribune pulled it.

Just the sort of cheekiness our beloved musicians (and Syme) would fight to keep alive!

• Like 1

He was a great singer.

There's a bunch of documentary stuff on YouTube that is worth checking out. :)

Full documentary...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZgBexrZvM0

A focus on Glen Campbell...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9-FfwwXRDg

• Like 2

Who thinks they changed the cover for the 40th anniversary for fear of being cancelled? The raised skirt and panties is pretty innocent by any day's standards but I'm thinking they thought it might be viewed as in poor taste. It's a shame, it's their best album and best cover! :( Edited by yyz2112
  • Like 1

Actually no. As far as I'm aware, New Zealand is the only country that had the fully intact original cover design, complete with the Coca-Cola billboard. Every major market had its own version of the cover; so far I've noticed unique designs for Canada, the US, the UK, Germany, France, and New Zealand. There are probably others, but those are the most common ones.

My goal is to someday own a copy of every version. I'm trying to get my hands on a New Zealand copy, but they're rare and go for quite a bit of money.

I've not seen a New Zealand or France. Have copies from the other countries and Japan. Permanent Waves seems to be the album with the most cover variations for sure.

Who thinks they changed the cover for the 40th anniversary for fear of being cancelled? The raised skirt and panties is pretty innocent by any day's standards but I'm thinking they thought it might be viewed as in poor taste. It's a shame, it's their best album and best cover! :(

They have an alternate picture but in the pictures of the 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe set, the picture of Paula Turnbull is there on the album cover and booklets. The CD has the newer picture, it is Hugh Syme's work but haven't seen anything about the reasoning for the alternate cover.

• Like 2