Dirty Harry - Rank the 5 Films

The Cat 3

Dirty Harry - Rank the 5 Films  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which Dirty Harry Movie Is Your Favourite?

• Dirty Harry (1971)
    • Magnum Force (1973)
    • The Enforcer (1976)
    • Sudden Impact (1983)
    • The Dead Pool (1988)

Net Boys and Net Girls,

Here's a two part topic for you to consider...

1: Select your favourite movie from the Dirty Harry collection.

2: Rank the five Dirty Harry movies from your favourite to least favourite.

artworks-000364722942-w7ks5y-t500x500.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, same for me - order of release is the ranking order. Not Clint`s fault, that`s for sure - the quality of antagonist never got to Scorpio standard. Such a great performance from Andrew Robinson.

I think it just goes in chronological order getting progressively weaker.

I've heard 4 is one of the better ones since it's the one Clint directed and has that iconic line.

Nah, it lacks the atmosphere and Dirty Harry vibe of the 70's entries. The music is totally 80's etc. To be honest though the quality of the scripts just diminished with each film, although I'm a big fan of the first three. I think The Gauntlet feels more like a Dirty Harry film than Sudden Impact. In fact back in the day I saw The Gauntlet a few times thinking it was Sudden Impact. Also you have the Sondra Locke factor, mind you she's in both, so that's another bit that confused things.

The order of release is my ranking. I liked each film less than the previous one.

It seems we all agree

I still love them all, though

I've heard 4 is one of the better ones since it's the one Clint directed and has that iconic line.

Nah, it lacks the atmosphere and Dirty Harry vibe of the 70's entries. The music is totally 80's etc. To be honest though the quality of the scripts just diminished with each film, although I'm a big fan of the first three. I think The Gauntlet feels more like a Dirty Harry film than Sudden Impact. In fact back in the day I saw The Gauntlet a few times thinking it was Sudden Impact. Also you have the Sondra Locke factor, mind you she's in both, so that's another bit that confused things.

The later films were spec scripts repurposed for Dirty Harry. I think.

The later films were spec scripts repurposed for Dirty Harry. I think.

Yeah cheap, slapdash methods. Clint probably did the last one just for the money.

I've only seen the first two and Dead Pool. Dead Pool is the worst and right up there with Pink Cadillac, J Edgar and City Heat among Clint's worst I've seen.

I saw City Heat in the theater as a kid and loved it. Is it that bad? I remember the audience loving it. I know Reynolds was all messed up physically, but he still got some laughs I recall.

• Like 1

I've only seen the first two and Dead Pool. Dead Pool is the worst and right up there with Pink Cadillac, J Edgar and City Heat among Clint's worst I've seen.

I saw City Heat in the theater as a kid and loved it. Is it that bad? I remember the audience loving it. I know Reynolds was all messed up physically, but he still got some laughs I recall.

I like it, and Pink Cadillac is pretty good too.

• Like 1

Didn't he get his jaw broken when he was hit in the face with a chair during a fight sequence for the film? And then had to go on a liquid diet and lost a ton of weight?

• Like 1

I agree with everyone regarding the order of quality of the movies being ranked in chronological order.

The order of my favourites is...

Dirty Harry

Sudden Impact

Magnum Force

The Enforcer

The Dead Pool

...I think they missed an opportunity for one more. It could have surrounded by Callahan on the verge of retirement and one last caper to solve.

I agree with everyone regarding the order of quality of the movies being ranked in chronological order.

Dirty Harry

Sudden Impact

Magnum Force

The Enforcer

The Dead Pool

...I think they missed an opportunity for one more. It could have surrounded by Callahan on the verge of retirement and one last caper to solve.

SE7EN, with Clint Eastwood instead of Morgan Freeman?
  • Like 1

Dirty Harry

Sudden Impact

Magnum Force

The Enforcer

The Dead Pool

SE7EN, with Clint Eastwood instead of Morgan Freeman?

Well, for numerical precision, Sixth Sense w/Clint instead of Bruce - like a fever dream after being shot? - then back to the day job for Se7en! Edited by IbanezJem

Yeah, I saw it on Starz recently and the troubled production from what I've read about shows in this movie. Burt hurt his jaw so bad he could only drink instead of eating solid foods which led up to him losing weight. It shows in the trailer for Stick that came out a year later.

• Like 1

Yeah, I saw it on Starz recently and the troubled production from what I've read about shows in this movie. Burt hurt his jaw so bad he could only drink instead of eating solid foods which led up to him losing weight. It shows in the trailer for Stick that came out a year later.

I remember reading that in Burt's autobiography (it's great). He got in a car accident and smashed up his face. He was miserable during the production (but he probably needed the money badly).

EDIT -

I was wrong about that - he broke his jaw shooting a fight scene for the film:

Filming began in February 1984. On the first day, Reynolds was accidentally hit in the face with a metal chair during a fight scene.

[2]

His jaw was broken, and he was restricted to a liquid diet, causing him to lose over 30 pounds by the time filming wrapped. His condition made headlines in the

tabloids

, which speculated he had

AIDS

[9][10]

Edited by chemistry1973

I remember reading that in Burt's autobiography (it's great). He got in a car accident and smashed up his face. He was miserable during the production (but he probably needed the money badly).

EDIT -

I was wrong about that - he broke his jaw shooting a fight scene for the film:

Filming began in February 1984. On the first day, Reynolds was accidentally hit in the face with a metal chair during a fight scene.

[2]

His jaw was broken, and he was restricted to a liquid diet, causing him to lose over 30 pounds by the time filming wrapped. His condition made headlines in the

tabloids

, which speculated he had

AIDS

[9][10]

You should read the thread more carefully, I talked about this in an earlier post.

Didn't he get his jaw broken when he was hit in the face with a chair during a fight sequence for the film? And then had to go on a liquid diet and lost a ton of weight?

Sorry missed this

• Like 1