The 2021-22 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

Nightmare continues for Nova Carmina. Posible Egypt-Senegal final. :popcorn:

If so, that should make for a cozy locker room back at Melwood; I'm not totally sure those guys like each other much to begin with . . .

It turns out, it'll be Czeslaw Michniewicz as Poland's manager. The reign will probably end in March and the search for the new coach will begin all over again, because I don't see us beating Russia and Sweden. In the 17th century, we could take on both of them at the same time and come out victorious. Those were the days...
  • Like 1

It turns out, it'll be Czeslaw Michniewicz as Poland's manager. The reign will probably end in March and the search for the new coach will begin all over again, because I don't see us beating Russia and Sweden. In the 17th century, we could take on both of them at the same time and come out victorious. Those were the days...

What do you mean, that he won`t last out his contract? (Ends 31st Dec 2022). The PZPN have similar views to you, it seems :laughing guy:
  • Like 1

What do you mean, that he won`t last out his contract? (Ends 31st Dec 2022). The PZPN have similar views to you, it seems :laughing guy:

There's a clause saying he can be fired if the playoffs turn out to be unsuccessful.
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the Argentina-Brazil futsal match today, but those penalty kicks...I'm reminded of Pele killing a goalkeeper back in the day, and at this close range, you can do some serious damage.

When I was watching football as a child, it was always put about by old professionals that "African" players couldn`t defend. Well, they`ve certainly disproved that bit of prejudice :yes:

Let`s not go nuts in the other direction though :facepalm:

• Like 1

When I was watching football as a child, it was always put about by old professionals that "African" players couldn`t defend. Well, they`ve certainly disproved that bit of prejudice :yes:

Let`s not go nuts in the other direction though :facepalm:

White coaches played a big part in making 0-0 scores a household name on the black continent, but while watching tonight's final, I couldn't help thinking Senegal needed a Lewandowski and this thing would've ended after 90 minutes.

Oh, yes, let's all fail to score so that Mane and Salah play what is absolutely the longest possible AFCON. Let's do that.

Well, maybe not "longest possible" since it didn't go into extra penalties -- Salah didn't even get to take his! So there's one less swing of the tired legs.

I get as the pressure goes up, a coach wants the most experienced & solid PK takers, but how about you start with the guy who's gonna put the most pressure on the opposition?

• Like 1

Oh, yes, let's all fail to score so that Mane and Salah play what is absolutely the longest possible AFCON. Let's do that.

Well, maybe not "longest possible" since it didn't go into extra penalties -- Salah didn't even get to take his! So there's one less swing of the tired legs.

I get as the pressure goes up, a coach wants the most experienced & solid PK takers, but how about you start with the guy who's gonna put the most pressure on the opposition?

Usually, the "biggest full of himself player" takes the last shot. Lately, only Ronaldo changed that tactic, after Portugal found their team getting knocked out of tournaments in the early rounds of the penalty shootout. Has anybody noticed Mane standing by himself instead of with his teammates during penalties? What an ass.

Usually, the "biggest full of himself player" takes the last shot. Lately, only Ronaldo changed that tactic, after Portugal found their team getting knocked out of tournaments in the early rounds of the penalty shootout. Has anybody noticed Mane standing by himself instead of with his teammates during penalties? What an ass.

The ball was in play for 40 minutes of the final`s first 90 minutes, due to Egypt`s tactics of avoiding a match, and the ref`s complicity in engaging in lengthy conversations at all opportunities, rather than cracking down on the blatant time-wasting and acting. What a waste of Salah, for Queiroz to play for penalties from the group stage.

Either way, nobody should be too tired after that - it would have been more work training under Klopp!

• Like 2

The ball was in play for 40 minutes of the final`s first 90 minutes, due to Egypt`s tactics of avoiding a match, and the ref`s complicity in engaging in lengthy conversations at all opportunities, rather than cracking down on the blatant time-wasting and acting. What a waste of Salah, for Queiroz to play for penalties from the group stage.

Either way, nobody should be too tired after that - it would have been more work training under Klopp!

But Egypt played four overtimes, beating out Croatia's feat from 2018, that had to take some steam out of Salah and co. in the final. Senegal being ranked 20th in the world, while Egypt 45th didn't help either.
  • Like 1

But Egypt played four overtimes, beating out Croatia's feat from 2018, that had to take some steam out of Salah and co. in the final. Senegal being ranked 20th in the world, while Egypt 45th didn't help either.

Egypt`s coach chose to play extra-time - I`d have left the camp if I`d been Salah - the strategy successfully implemented by Bucharest in the `86 European Cup, robbing Terry Venables` Barca a first win in the competition, a match so dull it was lasered into my mind`s eye :fuckinputer:
  • Like 1

Egypt`s coach chose to play extra-time - I`d have left the camp if I`d been Salah - the strategy successfully implemented by Bucharest in the `86 European Cup, robbing Terry Venables` Barca a first win in the competition, a match so dull it was lasered into my mind`s eye :fuckinputer:

Steaua was basically the Romanian national team in those days. Ceausescu made sure of that. Still, it takes talent to miss four penalties in one sitting.

Steaua was basically the Romanian national team in those days. Ceausescu made sure of that. Still, it takes talent to miss four penalties in one sitting.

I doubt that the final was in his mind, come Christmas Day 1989 :16ton:
  • Like 1

I doubt that the final was in his mind, come Christmas Day 1989 :16ton:

I watched the whole trial on TV, but they didn't show the executions. :banghead:
  • Like 1

• The topic was unpinned