The 2021-22 Football (Soccer) Thread

Nova Carmina

The title is now in Liverpool`s hands, theirs to lose, win every game and they`re champions etc.

Wonder if Spurs have considered the infinitely more sustainable business model of defeating Wolves and Southampton at home last week, and not having to record daft 3-2 away wins at Leicester and City with goals in the 95th minute? :bitchslap:

There`s an argument for drama and entertainment over the banal, I suppose.

I expected more crowing and chest-thumping, but maybe you were waiting to see if Leeds could really make your weekend. Sorry 'bout that. Still, though, Kane, eh?

Liverpool will make it interesting, but they tend to get draws against the Brightons or Crystal Palaces of the world, and that'll be enough for Citeh.

• Like 1

I don't know if anybody is watching the SheBelieves Cup, but some poor defender for New Zealand managed three (3, not a typo) first half own goals. She's gonna need a tall can of whatever it is Kiwis drink when they're drowning their sorrows.

The title is now in Liverpool`s hands, theirs to lose, win every game and they`re champions etc.

Wonder if Spurs have considered the infinitely more sustainable business model of defeating Wolves and Southampton at home last week, and not having to record daft 3-2 away wins at Leicester and City with goals in the 95th minute? :bitchslap:

There`s an argument for drama and entertainment over the banal, I suppose.

I expected more crowing and chest-thumping, but maybe you were waiting to see if Leeds could really make your weekend. Sorry 'bout that. Still, though, Kane, eh?

Liverpool will make it interesting, but they tend to get draws against the Brightons or Crystal Palaces of the world, and that'll be enough for Citeh.

Well, if you do win the league, you`ll owe Spurs a lot with our "Stop City" plan. Taking six points and not selling Kane... and all that`s on top of signing the non-compete clause to give you the 2019 CL final :eyeroll:

I`m not really the crowing type. My reaction was more the insouciant shrug of a bewildered fan, who doesn`t not how we`re going to mess up next, which sort of flattens the curve of the emotional rollercoaster.

• Like 1

English teams are doing well in the Champions League, but will they boycott the Final?

I doubt if they`ll need to - not because one (or two?) won`t reach it, just that by then either a) UEFA relent, and change venue or b) Saint Petersburg could be just a memory. I hope not.

On a far more worrying note, Spurs lose - Leeds lose - Utd don`t. What a Wednesday :facepalm:

• Like 1

English teams are doing well in the Champions League, but will they boycott the Final?

I doubt if they`ll need to - not because one (or two?) won`t reach it, just that by then either a) UEFA relent, and change venue or b) Saint Petersburg could be just a memory. I hope not.

On a far more worrying note, Spurs lose - Leeds lose - Utd don`t. What a Wednesday :facepalm:

Poland is already hoping for the playoff game to be held on neutral ground or an outright walkover. On the other hand, there is the almighty Gazprom...
  • Like 1

Poland is already hoping for the playoff game to be held on neutral ground or an outright walkover. On the other hand, there is the almighty Gazprom...

I think that has to be moved - I`m not seeing things improving massively over the next four weeks, are you? And it would be a very legitimate reason for the likes of your hero, Cash, Moder etc. to say they don`t fancy being held hostage and to pull out. Nobody enjoys a nice glass of Gazprom more than I do :scared: but it seems like bigger problems face everyone.
  • Like 1

I think that has to be moved - I`m not seeing things improving massively over the next four weeks, are you? And it would be a very legitimate reason for the likes of your hero, Cash, Moder etc. to say they don`t fancy being held hostage and to pull out. Nobody enjoys a nice glass of Gazprom more than I do :scared: but it seems like bigger problems face everyone.

If this had been Romania or Turkey, the issue would be resolved very quickly, but I'm not sure how much FIFA and UEFA are willing to part with all that Russian green stuff.
  • Like 2

If this had been Romania or Turkey, the issue would be resolved very quickly, but I'm not sure how much FIFA and UEFA are willing to part with all that Russian green stuff.

UEFA and FIFA`s activities over the last few decades tell you exactly how keen they are to take moral stands. Where`s the World Cup again? :sigh:
  • Like 3

If Spurs beat Leeds on Saturday, I think I`ll be sadder than if Spurs lose. Leeds need the points, a sad Bielsa is a horrible thing to see, and if Spurs aren`t going to get 4th, then we really should be aiming at missing Europe totally and finishing 8th :yes:
  • Like 2

UEFA and FIFA`s activities over the last few decades tell you exactly how keen they are to take moral stands. Where`s the World Cup again? :sigh:

Which brings me back to my original post. :banghead:
  • Like 1

Well, all will be clearer in a few hours; CL final, WC qualifiers. The great and the good of UEFA and FIFA are on the case!
  • Like 1

Well, all will be clearer in a few hours; CL final, WC qualifiers. The great and the good of UEFA and FIFA are on the case!

Yes, the "developing situation" will be handled...tomorrow.
  • Like 1

Rangers got the right royal screw-job from VAR over a very healthy-looking third, but they may hold on anyway. Which would be as good a result for Scottish football in Europe since... Celtic beating Barca under Martin O`Neill?

I need to expand the number of teams I like for obvious reasons, and I`m only an hour from Glasgow (if I owned a jet). :cool:

• Like 2

Rangers got the right royal screw-job from VAR over a very healthy-looking third, but they may hold on anyway. Which would be as good a result for Scottish football in Europe since... Celtic beating Barca under Martin O`Neill?

I need to expand the number of teams I like for obvious reasons, and I`m only an hour from Glasgow (if I owned a jet). :cool:

Haaland not being able to appear in the two legs helped Rangers immensely, but it's still a big victory, especially after getting destroyed in the Derby.
  • Like 1

Haaland not being able to appear in the two legs helped Rangers immensely, but it's still a big victory, especially after getting destroyed in the Derby.

You can`t let me enjoy one win, can you, even when I`m picking clubs with a pin :boohoo:
  • Like 1

You can`t let me enjoy one win, can you, even when I`m picking clubs with a pin :boohoo:

Sorry, I've got Legia-Wisla tomorrow. I'm a bit stressed out. :codger:
  • Like 1

What`s the gameplan? Do a Spurs and concede possession, hit them on the break? Or do a Spurs and give up straightaway?
  • Like 1

What`s the gameplan? Do a Spurs and concede possession, hit them on the break? Or do a Spurs and give up straightaway?

Well, we don't have anything to hit on the break with, ( a striker is coming, I'm told ) so it's hoping for a 0-0 outcome, I'm afraid.
  • Like 1

Legia 2 Wisla 1 :facepalm: Well, we scored on a fast break, but their goalkeeper assisted us in accomplishing it. And then of course we give up the point in the 94th minute.

Conceding late goals to lose sucks. I`d rather be out of it early doors than nearly getting a point. On a semi-related point, I didn`t realise Legia was where Tomas Pekhart ended up, all those years after he was at Spurs.
  • Like 1

Legia 2 Wisla 1 :facepalm: Well, we scored on a fast break, but their goalkeeper assisted us in accomplishing it. And then of course we give up the point in the 94th minute.

Conceding late goals to lose sucks. I`d rather be out of it early doors than nearly getting a point. On a semi-related point, I didn`t realise Legia was where Tomas Pekhart ended up, all those years after he was at Spurs.

Ever since he showed up at Legia, he's been a scoring machine. Because of poor showings in Europe, this season the management foolishly decided to look for even better strikers, resulting in the team's relegation zone blues. Those "projects" have now been shipped out, leaving Pekhart with another chance.
  • Like 1

• The topic was unpinned