Primus - a tribute to kings sample from opening night

bscsmkr

Kimono...Taurus Pedals, Ricky, White ES355..... Doublenecks, all the Professory stuff around the drum kit..... Xanadu light show reminiscent of what we saw on R40. All good.

I didn't think Primus interpreting the songs would work for me...but strangely it does. I'm not a fan of this band, but I applaud their effort and the tribute itself. They hit all the right points and still made the songs their own.

Well done. Primus does indeed suck.

Does anyone know if the instruments themselves are Al and Geddy's?

Edited by grep

Xanadu is great! Instrumentally, it sounds damned close.

Although...there's some weirdness in the solo section.

Edited by toymaker

Pretty good ..... but the vocals take some getting used to.

Personally I like the singer YYNOT has, she sounds more like Geddy :notworthy:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

Just saw this show in Portland tonight. Kicked ass. Obviously Claypool sounds nothing like Geddy vocally but they pretty much nailed it musically. I wasn't expecting the covers to be as faithful as they were—I figured they'd do something different with the arrangements and make them more Primus-like, which I would have been into. But they did a great job with it. Definitely worth seeing.

Just saw this show in Portland tonight. Kicked ass. Obviously Claypool sounds nothing like Geddy vocally but they pretty much nailed it musically. I wasn't expecting the covers to be as faithful as they were—I figured they'd do something different with the arrangements and make them more Primus-like, which I would have been into. But they did a great job with it. Definitely worth seeing.

Maybe they'll mess with it over time but I was hoping for more Primus-like interpretations too. I really did like Madrigal. I was hoping more more jamming at the end of Closer to the Heart but maybe they will get more comfortable with it as the tour moves forward.

Thanks for posting the complete set videos above! I was going to go see this after it got announced, but lost track of it after the pandemic hit.

I know almost nothing about Primus, but was sort of hoping they would do their own interpretations of all these songs. It sounds to me like listening to most Rush cover bands, where the playing is great but the vocals are the weak spot. I see some people saying he is just making the vocals his own. Maybe that's true and I just don't know what his style is. But it just sounds like someone talking through the songs an octave lower (or having a pitch floating somewhere between the original and an octave lower). Some of the synth / bass pedal parts are flubbed too, but I see this is the first show in the tour .. so probably stuff that got polished up along the way.

Anyway, interesting to hear and I would probably still go see it if I could. But I also think YYNOT is pretty darn hard to beat ..

Thanks for posting the complete set videos above! I was going to go see this after it got announced, but lost track of it after the pandemic hit.

I know almost nothing about Primus, but was sort of hoping they would do their own interpretations of all these songs. It sounds to me like listening to most Rush cover bands, where the playing is great but the vocals are the weak spot. I see some people saying he is just making the vocals his own. Maybe that's true and I just don't know what his style is. But it just sounds like someone talking through the songs an octave lower (or having a pitch floating somewhere between the original and an octave lower). Some of the synth / bass pedal parts are flubbed too, but I see this is the first show in the tour .. so probably stuff that got polished up along the way.

Anyway, interesting to hear and I would probably still go see it if I could. But I also think YYNOT is pretty darn hard to beat ..

That's just how he normally sings.

I saw them last night in Cleveland. Was a hell of a fun show. I dug the Primus originals and was surprised to find myself really enjoying Madrigal. It never really stood out to me much on the album but for some reason everything clicked last night. That and Cygnus was a great 1-2 punch to finish off the evening.

Though oddly looking back at other clips, it seems like he struggles to sing Madrigal most. It sounded fine to my ears but that may just be my own hearing damage/the mix at the show talking.

Edited by Union 5-3992

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8QPZRVVs_Y

Yes, YYNOT are a great band.

I’m just now discovering YYNOT for the 1st time ... and like

what I’ve heard so far !

Do they ever tour the UK/Europe ?

( Hope so ! )

• Like 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8QPZRVVs_Y

Yes, YYNOT are a great band.

I’m just now discovering YYNOT for the 1st time ... and like

what I’ve heard so far !

Do they ever tour the UK/Europe ?

( Hope so ! )

They have a new album due sometime soon. First track released, Burning Bridge sounds great! Looking forward to the album! Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

I suppose I should say that there are SPOILERS ahead, so if you're planning on seeing the Primus Tribute to Kings, you might not want to read some of this stuff I'm about to write.

Saw the concert at the Chicago Theater on the 21st of September. Really enjoyed the entire night. The Sword opened for Primus. No, had never heard of them. Their first song and a couple more further into their performance reminded me of early Black Sabbath. Pretty good stuff.

I had not been familiar with Primus or their own material at all. I had previously listened to one song of theirs which ended up in their 35 minute (or so!) encore Tuesday night. I did enjoy their songs. Their videos though were downright disturbing! (No, that's not a bad thing.) The plastic-like cowboys were strange enough, but the bass-playing pig with the circus performers behind him were incredibly weird!

One thing though, I would have liked it if, like Rush on stage, there had been some cameras on the guys and shots of them put up on the screen now and then. The videos kept repeating, forward and reversing. I also would have liked it if once in a while the guys on stage were lit up themselves. I watched the entire concert and honestly have to say I never saw what any of them look like because they were kept in the dark the entire concert.

The Tribute itself was just simply fantastic. Truly, fantastic. I was surprised at how much they stuck to the music as recorded and played by Rush. No, the singer is nothing like Geddy and certainly didn't have to try to be like him. He handled every song just great. Well, maybe he was off a little bit on Madrigal, but nothing terrible. He's a really good singer.

Most surprising of all to me, was that Primus invested in actual videos for the Rush songs. The video for Xanadu was great. I had actually seen the film footage used for Cinderella Man previously on YouTube. The footage from the 1920s that is. Someone has gone through a lot of trouble to repair and correct the speed of those films. Also colorized them to make them more life-like. Really cool.

Absolutely amazing was the video made for Cygnus X-1. WOW! Now THAT was a little bit of too much, eh?! Really incredible stuff.

Went to the concert with my best friend from High School who introduced me to Rush 41 years ago. I really owe him. What a Dude!

Edited by Geddyleegenes
  • Like 2

I saw the show Friday. It was really good. My God Les Bass tone (and playing of course) is utterly phenomenal. The Rush songs tugged on my heart - cheering for the boys, and special cheers for Neil, and I realized esp during Xanadu how much I f-cking miss my band playing live. I enjoyed the whole show - the energy, playing, song choices. Fing awesome.
  • Like 1

The Sword opened for Primus. No, had never heard of them. Their first song and a couple more further into their performance reminded me of early Black Sabbath. Pretty good stuff.

Yeah, The Sword are great. You're right, they evoke Black Sabbath. I like to think of them as a modern, psychedelic band that just happens to be heavy. If you want to explore, start with any record. They're all good.

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

Going tonight (Richmond, VA). Black Mountain opening up. Was supposed to be Wolfmother but they had visa issues.

I have seen Wolfmother before though.

Black Mountain seems to be a lot like Pink Floyd from a couple of youtube videos I checked out.

• Like 1