Most overrated drummer?

kazzman

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rollthbns @ Feb 8 2005, 01:24 AM)
As a drummer, (And not a very good one) I have come to appreciate many different aspects of the instrument. I think it is nearly impossible to rate two drummers side by side. I would assert however, that there are DRUMMERS, and then there are BAND MEMBERS whose job it is to drum.

I would stipulate however, that a BAND MEMBER can be an overrated DRUMMER for sure! Perhaps a lot of the hype comes from a group with a large fan base, such as Metallica.

Yes that's right, about members and so on...

Look, Metallica owe a large part of their success to their name. Kids think, 'I gotta try out some metal'. Which band, then? Metallica!

To be honest, they were among the bands that introduced me to the world of rock'n'roll. I was five or six years old then and I used to love what I heard onTV, stuff like 'One', 'Nothing Else Matters' etc. But you know, growing up brings changes.

I don't know where my brother found his Metallica CDs. Maybe he was influenced by his friends. He's listening 2 Annihilator right now and says it's cool cuz the singer reminds him of Hetfield. Amen to that.

I think I should one day point him to the Master of Puppets CD insert... wink.gif

His own music is already showing signs of high potential.

As for band members, I'd say that Tommy Lee & Alex VH are definitely band members. Alex is Eddy's brother, Tommy Lee looked cool. They belonged. And their playing on the records never seemed obnoxious 2 me. Just thumping along with the music. Motley Crue's real attraction is Mick Mars to me, VH is Eddie.

Well I also happen to be one of the few who believes Vince Neil is a cool singer. I don't know, I just think he's miles better than Jon Bon Jovi, and New Tattoo as compared to Crush was the ultimate proof for me. Maybe I've lost my mind, dunno. I think I have, anyway.

I'm glad someone here mentioned Vinny Colaiuta. The guy is unreal.

There's a soundtrack to the Queen of the Damned movie, and Terry Bozzio & Vinny Colaiuta are on some of the songs. My friend is a Goth, so she owns this CD. I told her that's a very good point to start her 'listener's education' regarding drummers. Most Goth bands have drum machines or whatever. I do spice up her life wink.gif with Yes (w/Bill Bruford) & ELP both with Carl & Cozy (though I am a big fan of Carl and only a casual fan of Cozy). Anyway she didn't display any kind of emtional reaction. Well let's wait and see.

I don't know about being overrated or anything but I always enjoyed watching Lars play drums. I saw them in 1986 when they played with Ozzy on the untimate sin tour. I didn't know who the hell Metallica was, I thought they rocked though. I knew they were going to go far and they did. I'm burned out on Metallica now but at one point they were one of my favorite bands. I played many Metallica songs as covers in a few different bands. People always responded to their music. Lars was a big reason for this, people liked his drive. I don't think he's overrated, I think he's a good drummer.

When I get home, I'll type a quote from Mike Portnoy, from his interview for Drum!. Very representative stuff he's saying there!

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Feb 13 2005, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Feb 8 2005, 06:16 AM)
I'll say it again, I think all drummers are overrated. All they do is hit shit with sticks.  confused13.gif

I'll crack you over the head with my stick Indy. laugh.gif bd.gif

That's probably what I need. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Feb 22 2005, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Feb 13 2005, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Feb 8 2005, 06:16 AM)
I'll say it again, I think all drummers are overrated. All they do is hit shit with sticks. confused13.gif

I'll crack you over the head with my stick Indy. laugh.gif bd.gif

That's probably what I need. laugh.gif

rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Here's the quote I promised you, it's from Drum! # 99 (July/August 2004 Special Progressive Rock Drumming Issue), p. 69 :

Mike Portnoy:

... The Rushes and the Yeses of music have the stigma of being very sterile and very stiff live, and I wanted to make sure I always had that Lars Ulrich / Keith Moon mentality where I'm able to play accurately and technically, but also play with the balls and the adrenaline of an entertainer...

Earlier on p. 62:

...I've always been slightly turned off that most of my favourite bands kind of lost their intensity as they got further into their career - mainly progressive bands. The Rushes, the Yeses and Genesis, they all kind of softened up...

(How many Rushes and Yeses are there? And how does Vapor Trails count if we are speaking about the supposed 'softening up'?!)

No more comments, just let everyone judge Mike by his words, now

we've passed judgement by his deeds.

PS In case somebody missed out on this, this issue of Drum! is worth getting cuz it's got Neil everywhere. On both covers, for instance smile.gif And they also test his signature cymbals.

QUOTE (JoDay @ Feb 23 2005, 08:16 AM)
Here's the quote I promised you, it's from Drum! # 99 (July/August 2004 Special Progressive Rock Drumming Issue), p. 69 :

Mike Portnoy:
... The Rushes and the Yeses of music have the stigma of being very sterile and very stiff live, and I wanted to make sure I always had that Lars Ulrich / Keith Moon mentality where I'm able to play accurately and technically, but also play with the balls and the adrenaline of an entertainer...

Earlier on p. 62:
...I've always been slightly turned off that most of my favourite bands kind of lost their intensity as they got further into their career - mainly progressive bands. The Rushes, the Yeses and Genesis, they all kind of softened up...

(How many Rushes and Yeses are there? And how does Vapor Trails count if we are speaking about the supposed 'softening up'?!)

PS In case somebody missed out on this, this issue of Drum! is worth getting cuz it's got Neil everywhere. On both covers, for instance smile.gif And they also test his signature cymbals.

Mike Portnoy couldn't carry Neil Pearts sneakers to the stage. yes.gif

Mike sounds dillusional. yes.gif 1287.gif argh

I can't belive the things some people have said about Portnoy, who is one of my idols.

He's actually an amazing drummer but whatever different strokes....

QUOTE (cygnus_vismund_cygnus @ Feb 27 2005, 08:33 AM)
I can't belive the things some people have said about Portnoy, who is one of my idols.
He's actually an amazing drummer but whatever different strokes....

My friend at school thinks the same way...and I dunno why. Portnoy is a very skilled good drummer! No doubt about it! He's one of my idols as well. smile.gif boarder.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 23 2005, 09:25 AM)

Mike Portnoy:

Earlier on p. 62:

laugh.gif so true....

QUOTE (yyz @ Feb 27 2005, 10:31 AM)

Mike Portnoy:

Earlier on p. 62:

laugh.gif so true....

How can you f*cking say that!? He is a really good drummer...i'm sorry but sure Neil is really good and is one of the best...but why does everyone have to compare him to everyone else!? I know this is a Rush forum and all that, and i'm not saying that Neil is not the best out there or anything but how can you say Mike is a bad drummer? like honestly. I wonder how many people have actaully listened to their albums here.... Dream Theater friggin kicks arse! 1287.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 27 2005, 02:09 PM)

Mike Portnoy:

Earlier on p. 62:

laugh.gif so true....

How can you f*cking say that!? He is a really good drummer...i'm sorry but sure Neil is really good and is one of the best...but why does everyone have to compare him to everyone else!? I know this is a Rush forum and all that, and i'm not saying that Neil is not the best out there or anything but how can you say Mike is a bad drummer? like honestly. I wonder how many people have actaully listened to their albums here.... Dream Theater friggin kicks arse! 1287.gif

*High Fives* I agree!

Everyone's suade to think things about bands they haven't even heard because someone they think is smart says so. Horrible how people's opinions just get shot down!

Portnoy's not an overrated drummer. He's definitely better than me smile.gif

Drummers know who is a good drummer and who isn't. cool.gif

Mike Portnoy:

Earlier on p. 62:

laugh.gif so true....

Thank you, you are my new hero... trink39.gif

Mike Portnoy:

Earlier on p. 62:

laugh.gif so true....

Portnoy is good but he's definitely overrated.

QUOTE (Let The Fray Begin @ Feb 23 2005, 08:22 AM)
I really liked Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood album, but other than that the band, and their drummer Tommy Lee, are highly overrated in my book.

I remember distinctly two complete ripoffs by the Crue on that Dr. Feelgood album. One was on Kickstart My Heart, where they have a section that was almost identical to a section in Van Halen's Romeo's Delight. The other is on Without You, where there is a section that is an obvious lift from the Beatles' I Want You/She's So Heavy. Tommy Lee's rotating cage for his solo is an imitation of Carl Palmer. The Palmer imitation stops there, I'd imagine. Sorry, I can't vouch for the Crue, period.

I've listened to some of Dream Theater. It's not bad, and it's clear they can play. But it seems to me there's something theyu're missing. It's hard to get past LaBrie's vocals and the keyboards, and my ear isn't good enough to pick up everything else that's going on.

QUOTE (cygnus_vismund_cygnus @ Feb 27 2005, 03:48 PM)

Mike Portnoy:

Earlier on p. 62:

laugh.gif so true....

Thank you, you are my new hero... trink39.gif

smile.gif trink39.gif

How can you f*cking say that!? He is a really good drummer...i'm sorry but sure Neil is really good and is one of the best...but why does everyone have to compare him to everyone else!? I know this is a Rush forum and all that, and i'm not saying that Neil is not the best out there or anything but how can you say Mike is a bad drummer? like honestly.

The problem with Portnoy is that he over plays in the songs. Sure he has the talent, chops and finese (sp?) to pull it all off, but he over does it. Even his own ego is over the top. If you listen to the things he says he's always comparing himself to Peart and then goes on to say how he's the best out of all the drummers out there. Good or not, you don't go around proclaiming yourself the best. If he's really as good as he says he is, he shouldn't have to go around saying this. You want great drummers? I'll take Terry Bozzio, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, John Bonham, Neil Peart, Steve Gadd and countless others over Portnoy anyday.

I wonder how many people have actaully listened to their albums here....  Dream Theater friggin kicks arse!  1287.gif

What bothers me about Dream Theater is that they do nothing but solo in their songs. Sure they're great musicians, but it seems to me that they like to show off. They build their songs and albums around nothing but pointless soloing, which ultimately begins to bore people. And they stick to the same formula every time instead of branching off and trying something different. The average music listener doesn't want to hear constant solos. The average music listener wants to hear a catchy song that's short and simple and doesn't go over their head to the point that they have to ask, "what did they just do?" Reasons like this are why Dream Theater has and probably never will have a hit.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 27 2005, 07:39 PM)
How can you f*cking say that!? He is a really good drummer...i'm sorry but sure Neil is really good and is one of the best...but why does everyone have to compare him to everyone else!?  I know this is a Rush forum and all that, and i'm not saying that Neil is not the best out there or anything but how can you say Mike is a bad drummer? like honestly.

The problem with Portnoy is that he over plays in the songs. Sure he has the talent, chops and finese (sp?) to pull it all off, but he over does it. Even his own ego is over the top. If you listen to the things he says he's always comparing himself to Peart and then goes on to say how he's the best out of all the drummers out there. Good or not, you don't go around proclaiming yourself the best. If he's really as good as he says he is, he shouldn't have to go around saying this. You want great drummers? I'll take Terry Bozzio, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, John Bonham, Neil Peart, Steve Gadd and countless others over Portnoy anyday.

I wonder how many people have actaully listened to their albums here.... Dream Theater friggin kicks arse! 1287.gif

What bothers me about Dream Theater is that they do nothing but solo in their songs. Sure they're great musicians, but it seems to me that they like to show off. They build their songs and albums around nothing but pointless soloing, which ultimately begins to bore people. And they stick to the same formula every time instead of branching off and trying something different. The average music listener doesn't want to hear constant solos. The average music listener wants to hear a catchy song that's short and simple and doesn't go over their head to the point that they have to ask, "what did they just do?" Reasons like this are why Dream Theater has and probably never will have a hit.

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif Kazz, I could not have said it better myself. Cheers to you! trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

I agree that sometimes the solos can be over-the-top but I mean it's the nature of the band, but if you don't like what the band plays why would that make Mike Portnoy overrated? If you don't LIKE thier music I couldn't care less, but you don't have to take away from the musicians in the band. Edited by cygnus_vismund_cygnus

Want to hear my opinion? tongue.gif n Mike Portnoy is good. HOWEVER. He is NOT Neil Peart...There will never be another Neil Peart. Mike Porntoy is a great drummer, don't get me wrong, but Dream Theater...Not really a big fan of. Way too much cheasy sounds in their songs...Metropolis for instance, excellent tune until the keyboard solo comes in...It souns like something out of Super Mario!! And it's true, nothing but soloing..But they are ALL incredible musicians...but in my books...RUSH STILL ROCKS....because Dream Theater takes 5 people to make it sound like 8 on the stage...but Rush only need 3. Our dear Lerxst, Dirk and Pratt.

I know Mike isn't Neil, I wouldn't like him if he was, why would we need two Neil's or someone trying to be him? I like Mike because he is original, he has his own sound, even though some think otherwise....

BTW ---- Rush still does and ALWAYS will rock. NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (cygnus_vismund_cygnus @ Feb 28 2005, 04:17 PM)
I know Mike isn't Neil, I wouldn't like him if he was, why would we need two Neil's or someone trying to be him? I like Mike because he is original, he has his own sound, even though some think otherwise....

BTW ---- Rush still does and ALWAYS will rock. NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Wow, for once I find myself agreeing with you on Portnoy. Again like I said, Portnoy is a great drummer, but I'll add this; people seem to give him a little too much credit than what he actually desrves, IMO.