Most overrated drummer?

kazzman

I think that Danny Carey of TOOL is the best rock drummer on the planet these days. He is more inventive and plays with soul as well as precision. When he plays something you believe it.

Portnoy is all chops and no feeling, and not terribly impressive. Kind of a watered down Morgenstein. Which makes sense. All of DT are kind of bland in a "look at me" kind of way. BFD! Throughout their set I got the impression that they were trying to be like Yes. Their sharing a stage with Yes emphasized how much they are wannbes compared to the real thing.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think AVH is great. Him and Michael Anthony are probably the most solid rhtym section in rock(for the record i don't consider Geddy/Neil, Squire/White, etc. as rythum sections).

I really think Mike Portnoy is overrated. He has the biggest ego of any musician I've heard, even after he's been playing for twenty years. Most guys get over themselves, but he hasn't. He gauges the sound quality of songs on how well the double bass drum can be heard!

-Led

Welcome Boots!

Why don't you consider Ged/Neil and/or Squire/White(Bruford) as rhythm sections like other bands? Not that I totally disagree, just curious.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Oct 21 2004, 08:58 PM)

Why don't you consider Ged/Neil and/or Squire/White(Bruford) as rhythm sections like other bands? Not that I totally disagree, just curious.

Maybe because Geddy and Chris are more upfront bassists? Their styles are more lead-like, whereas Michael Anthony is more of a basic, locked in with the bass drum, "lay down the bottom" player. That's how I interpreted Boots' comment.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 21 2004, 08:42 PM)

Maybe because Geddy and Chris are more upfront bassists? Their styles are more lead-like, whereas Michael Anthony is more of a basic, locked in with the bass drum, "lay down the bottom" player. That's how I interpreted Boots' comment.

Exactly. Not that I don't consider Michael Anthony an excellent bassist(he's definitely better than most), he just chose to take a background approach to playing the bass, which is prefect with AVH's heavy backbeat approach to drumming. Personally, I wish Anthony took a more up-front approach because he definitely has the skills to do it!

-Led

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 21 2004, 08:42 PM)

Wow! This may be a first...I'm actually commenting on something in the MUSICIAN'S thread...

Here goes:

I agree. biggrin.gif

(To be honest [i realize my musical tastes are a bit limited, but regardless] I never realized how "up front" bass could be, until I got into Rush and Yes. Both Ged and Chris bring so much to the instrument, the bass became just as interesting as the lead on many songs.)

While Geddy and Squire are quite melodic, I don't think you can deny the effect their rhythms play against the rest of the music. Also, considering the way that Neil and Geddy play off of one another (likewise with Squire and Bruford or White) they are definitely a team. Now generally a rhythm section is more that two people, and includes guitar or piano I still think that both of these "sections" are just that. Melody plays a large role, however those bass melodies are counter melodies and offer rhythmic support and harmonic enhancement to the dominant melodies.

I don't think Squire of Geddy would be who they were without contributions by guys like McCartney who was one of the first melodic bass players in Rock and Roll. Everything he did from Sgt. Pepper forward is a testament to that. Also, he borrowed ideas in voicing from Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys, of all people, who liked to changed chords by altering the bass note. Plus Jack Bruce's aggression and James Jamerson's groove. Then there's John Entwistle, the original acrobatic bass player. Then the most under rated bass player of all time, John Paul Jones who everybody seems to forget, but Zeppelin would not be near as cool without his rhythmic melodies.

Now, do Geddy and Neil or Squire and whomever always "hold down the fort" musically? I would say generally yes. Are they a rhythm section? Who knows? But a rhythm section to me is more than two people.

I would say that both Rush and Yes are rooted together by a foundation melodic bass rhythm.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Oct 26 2004, 03:06 PM)
Then the most under rated bass player of all time, John Paul Jones who everybody seems to forget, but Zeppelin would not be near as cool without his rhythmic melodies.

I think he's been forgotton by the surviving members of Led Zeppelin the most. Good post Cyg - like so many others. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Lars is easily the most overrated drummer ever. I mean, everyone thinks he is top of the line just because he is in Metallica. He doesn't do that many things to be considered "amazing". All of his beats sound the same, and he doesn't go all that fast. Neil Peart and Buddy Rich top my list. My friend and I at school always debate, and he is such an idiot. He thinks Lars is better than Neil Peart. I just want to scream at him sometimes for being so foolish!!! I guess he just can't come to see the truth. Anyways, NEIL PEART RULES!!! 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Oct 30 2004, 08:14 PM)
Lars is easily the most overrated drummer ever. I mean, everyone thinks he is top of the line just because he is in Metallica. He doesn't do that many things to be considered "amazing". All of his beats sound the same, and he doesn't go all that fast. Neil Peart and Buddy Rich top my list. My friend and I at school always debate, and he is such an idiot. He thinks Lars is better than Neil Peart. I just want to scream at him sometimes for being so foolish!!! I guess he just can't come to see the truth. Anyways, NEIL PEART RULES!!! 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Lars is better than Neil Peart...WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT KID IS SUCH A D*UCHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! rofl3.gif LOL.gif Ok I'm done. LOL.gif

As much as I think this dudes a gd drummer ppl must SHUT UP BOUT HIM!!!! sory but joey jordeson(if thts how u spell it) from SlipKnot is overshadowed by Neil Peart in every way. Oh an just for the record, Flee from the Chilis is the most overrated bassist evr. It ent all bout speed bro! Geddy wud kick his ass any day.

NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (lil_rush_dude @ Nov 10 2004, 04:15 PM)
Oh an just for the record, Flee from the Chilis is the most overrated bassist evr. It ent all bout speed bro! Geddy wud kick his ass any day.

NeilFinal.gif

Dude, Flea is a great bass player. Put down the pipe!!

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Oct 30 2004, 06:14 PM)

Yes I don't like Lars....at all...and never will, but I like Metallica. However I agree with NPF2112 all his beats are all the same....nothing to be amazed about there.....Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa and Neil Peart are my fav drumemers... trink36.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Nov 10 2004, 06:37 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Oct 30 2004, 06:14 PM)
Lars is easily the most overrated drummer ever.  I mean, everyone thinks he is top of the line just because he is in Metallica.  He doesn't do that many things to be considered "amazing".  All of his beats sound the same, and he doesn't go all that fast.  Neil Peart and Buddy Rich top my list.  My friend and I at school always debate, and he is such an idiot.  He thinks Lars is better than Neil Peart.  I just want to scream at him sometimes for being so foolish!!!  I guess he just can't come to see the truth.  Anyways, NEIL PEART RULES!!! 1022.gif  2.gif  1022.gif

Yes I don't like Lars....at all...and never will, but I like Metallica. However I agree with NPF2112 all his beats are all the same....nothing to be amazed about there.....Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa and Neil Peart are my fav drumemers... trink36.gif

Thanks. Finally, some support! smile.gif

QUOTE (yyz @ Nov 10 2004, 07:01 PM)
Well of course! Peart kicks @$$!!!

Hell yeah he does. I got Ghostrider today, the book he wrote. It's really good so far. I feel so bad for him, and am so glad that he got over that horrible tradgedy. He is a very strong and amazing man for doing so. NeilFinal.gif