Most overrated drummer?

kazzman

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jan 4 2005, 06:07 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Jan 4 2005, 02:26 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 4 2005, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Jan 4 2005, 06:48 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 4 2005, 04:26 AM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Jan 3 2005, 11:11 PM)
I think all drummers are overrated. All they do is hit shit with sticks.

Spoken like a guitarist.

19.gif

tongue.gif

lol

I play drums also but don't consider myself a drummer for some reason. I'm just joking though, drums are cool, someone needs to keep my timing in check ahahaha.

Isn't that what the bassist is for?

Other than hiding behind the guitarist's ego? tongue.gif

No, what the Bassist is for is to carry the gear to the gigs while the guitarists drink beer and entertain the chicks. laugh.gif

And yet the drummers are the ones who score the chicks...

I never knew that.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a big drumming fan and I agree with those who say Lars Ulrich and Mike Portnoy are overrated. I think though that Alex VH & Tommy Lee are quite good for what they're worth.

My bro, a young drummer, loves Ulrich's playing. I can't stand the guy. He has no sense of time, at all! Maybe it's mine that is oversensitive, I dunno, but...

As for Mike, he's definitely a better one, but there's just nothing special about him. Bobby Jarzombek can do it all and beyond.

Maybe Scott Travis (current Priest drummer) is a tad overrated too. Ingo Schwichtenberg was equally fast but with a bit more of imagination, I'd say. A sad loss for metal.

As for underrated guys... Dave Holland from Trapeze and then Judas Priest is the most underrated and one of the most talented drummers in rock history, who chose taste over showing off. And forget all those court cases, they have nothing to do with music imho.

Carmine Appice is one of the founders of the true rock style and he seems to be like forgotten to me. Prove me I'm wrong.

There's another drummer few people know, Gary Driscoll (Elf, early Rainbow). Amazing guy, one of the pioneers of heavy hitting as well. Like Holland, a true rival for Bonham.

It's just that Zeppelin was and is extensively promoted, and Trapeze and Elf will never ever reunite.

QUOTE (JoDay @ Jan 24 2005, 07:03 AM)
I am a big drumming fan and I agree with those who say Lars Ulrich and Mike Portnoy are overrated. I think though that Alex VH & Tommy Lee are quite good for what they're worth.
My bro, a young drummer, loves Ulrich's playing. I can't stand the guy. He has no sense of time, at all! Maybe it's mine that is oversensitive, I dunno, but...
As for Mike, he's definitely a better one, but there's just nothing special about him. Bobby Jarzombek can do it all and beyond.
Maybe Scott Travis (current Priest drummer) is a tad overrated too. Ingo Schwichtenberg was equally fast but with a bit more of imagination, I'd say. A sad loss for metal.

As for underrated guys... Dave Holland from Trapeze and then Judas Priest is the most underrated and one of the most talented drummers in rock history, who chose taste over showing off. And forget all those court cases, they have nothing to do with music imho.

Carmine Appice is one of the founders of the true rock style and he seems to be like forgotten to me. Prove me I'm wrong.

There's another drummer few people know, Gary Driscoll (Elf, early Rainbow). Amazing guy, one of the pioneers of heavy hitting as well. Like Holland, a true rival for Bonham.

It's just that Zeppelin was and is extensively promoted, and Trapeze and Elf will never ever reunite.

goodpost.gif Lars and Portnoy are the top 2 overrated on my list! yes.gif trink39.gif

I don't know how you can say Portnoy is overrated?!?! The man has chops, AND is very musical?!? Sounds like jealousy to me. Maybe a tad obnoxious and over indulgent as a player, but over-rated? nah...

We'll start with the GREATS

Terry Bozzio is a MONSTER listen to his work with Zappa for one, then his work with UK, then Missing Persons...you'll start getting it!

Vinnie Coliauta is un-freaking real! dude gets on each side of a beat, and turns it inside out backwards etc. un freaking real player!

Carl Palmer has the best technique I've ever seen! and he can play whatever he plays on his hands with his feet!

Carter Beauford has the smoothest rhythm I've ever heard. his interplay between his ride and hi-hats are unmatched, his accents are well placed VERY musical drummer that can rock out when he wants to!

Doane Perry, one of the hardest hitters I've ever seen! Handles the unique style of Jethro Tull with a VERY solid back beat.

Dave Weckl? Holy sheep S#@T! what an unreal player! Fluid is one word that comes to mind!!

Anyone that played with Steely Dan is ok in my book! (Purdie, Porcaro, Moratta, Carlock, et al)

I could keep going.....Bruford, Phil Collins (old Genesis and Brand X), Alan White, Morganstein, Billy Cobham, Stewart Copeland..etc....

Overrated drummers? Oh yeah, Lars, Tommy, Jonathan Mover (Satriani) I can't STAND this dude! Rikki Rocket!

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Jan 29 2005, 10:51 PM)
I don't know how you can say Portnoy is overrated?!?! The man has chops, AND is very musical?!? Sounds like jealousy to me. Maybe a tad obnoxious and over indulgent as a player, but over-rated? nah...

We'll start with the GREATS

Terry Bozzio is a MONSTER listen to his work with Zappa for one, then his work with UK, then Missing Persons...you'll start getting it!

Vinnie Coliauta is un-freaking real! dude gets on each side of a beat, and turns it inside out backwards etc. un freaking real player!

Carl Palmer has the best technique I've ever seen! and he can play whatever he plays on his hands with his feet!

Carter Beauford has the smoothest rhythm I've ever heard. his interplay between his ride and hi-hats are unmatched, his accents are well placed VERY musical drummer that can rock out when he wants to!

Doane Perry, one of the hardest hitters I've ever seen! Handles the unique style of Jethro Tull with a VERY solid back beat.

Dave Weckl? Holy sheep S#@T! what an unreal player! Fluid is one word that comes to mind!!

Anyone that played with Steely Dan is ok in my book! (Purdie, Porcaro, Moratta, Carlock, et al)

I could keep going.....Bruford, Phil Collins (old Genesis and Brand X), Alan White, Morganstein, Billy Cobham, Stewart Copeland..etc....

Overrated drummers? Oh yeah, Lars, Tommy, Jonathan Mover (Satriani) I can't STAND this dude! Rikki Rocket!

goodpost.gif

i can't tell you about overrated drummers, but you know who i think is a very underrated drummer?

Rick Allen. (Def Leppard)

he may not've been very impressive before, but after he lost his left arm in a car accident, he STILL played live for the group. he uses pedals to trigger various effects that he can't trigger anymore w/ his arm..he says he got better clarity after he lost the arm than he did before.

sorry, i just had to post that! biggrin.gif i think there's a lot to be said for his persistance, if not his style.

carolynn

Overrated drummers...besides the ones mentioned...

Yes I agree with D-13 about Meg White...I like the White Stripes though...

Ooh how about Ringo Starr? Love the Beatles, but seriously...not only that, but George Martin (Beatles producer) wrote all his parts for him.

Underrated?

Tre Cool (Green Day)-I saw these guys live in November and they were just amazing...Tre was great...the Sugarcult guy and the New Found Glory guy sucked almost as much as their respective bands...062802puke_prv.gif

What drummer in their right mind would rate Meg White, Lars Ulrich, or Tommy Lee highly?

George Martin never told Ringo what to play or wrote anything for him (none of the Beatles could read music), but John and Paul constantly told Ringo what they wanted. Ringo has the definitive feel for rock and roll. When interviewed in the late 60's Ringo claimed to be the greatest drummer in the world because he was in the Beatles. McCartney retorted in another interview "He's not even the greatest drummer in the Beatles." Paul played drums on a few songs, including Back In The USSR, The Ballad of John and Yoko, and You Know My Name (Look Up The Number). Session drummer Andy White appeared on the single version of Love Me Do, while Ringo is on the album version.

I cant remember his name,but that dude who drums for Dream Theather is WAY OVER BLOWN,in my opionion he is overated and sucks bigtime,Neil was playing like that dude when his momma was still wiping his nose laugh.gif I get trashed all the time from my younger friends who like DT saying that dude can out play Neil........ain't no way,no way...thats possible....no drummer living now can touch Neil In my opioion.And I am an oldie,been around listening to music forever,and remember when Rush first started in the 70's,hope I didnt offend any DT fans,I was just expressing my opioion.

QUOTE (BULLSEYE FOREVER @ Feb 6 2005, 09:42 AM)
I cant remember his name,but that dude who drums for Dream Theather is WAY OVER BLOWN,in my opionion he is overated and sucks bigtime...

There's no doubt Mike Portnoy has chops. The guy can play. But man, does he overplay! Neil used to be fill-happy back in the day, but even at his busiest, he sounds like Charlie Watts compared to Portnoy. While impressive from a technical standpoint, Portnoy's playing sounds like a drum machine. Neil's playing can be rigid (less so recently), but he sounds human, and his playing is still interesting to listen to after repeated listenings. After ten minutes of Portnoy, I'm reaching for a Tool CD.

The same is true with Dream Theater guitarist John Petrucci -- his solos are an endless flurry of meaningless notes ("Look at me! I'm playing the in Mixolydian mode. Really really fast!"). He and Portnoy belong in the same band.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 6 2005, 10:36 AM)
I cant remember his name,but that dude who drums for Dream Theather is WAY OVER BLOWN,in my opionion he is overated and sucks bigtime...

There's no doubt Mike Portnoy has chops. The guy can play. But man, does he overplay! Neil used to be fill-happy back in the day, but even at his busiest, he sounds like Charlie Watts compared to Portnoy. While impressive from a technical standpoint, Portnoy's playing sounds like a drum machine. Neil's playing can be rigid (less so recently), but he sounds human, and his playing is still interesting to listen to after repeated listenings. After ten minutes of Portnoy, I'm reaching for a Tool CD.

The same is true with Dream Theater guitarist John Petrucci -- his solos are an endless flurry of meaningless notes ("Look at me! I'm playing the in Mixolydian mode. Really really fast!"). He and Portnoy belong in the same band.

I totally agree pourtney does overplay alot,and I think Neil's playing now is so much better now than it was on the 97 test for echo tour,just listen to the solo,neil's soul is into it so much now than back then........and Petrucci is the same way...he is good,but geeze...who wants to hear all that fast playing all the time,it all sounds the same to me,i mean sometimes fast playing has its time,but not in every song and every solo,to me I would rather listen to B.B.King play or Eric Clapton play than Petrucci,thats just me

QUOTE (BULLSEYE FOREVER @ Feb 6 2005, 11:50 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 6 2005, 10:36 AM)

I totally agree pourtney does overplay alot,and I think Neil's playing now is so much better now than it was on the 97 test for echo tour,just listen to the solo,neil's soul is into it so much now than back then........and Petrucci is the same way...he is good,but geeze...who wants to hear all that fast playing all the time,it all sounds the same to me,i mean sometimes fast playing has its time,but not in every song and every solo,to me I would rather listen to B.B.King play or Eric Clapton play than Petrucci,thats just me

Portnoy isn't all that good in my opinion. I mean, sure he can play, but he sounds like almost everyone else. Neil seems to have his own unique sound when he plays, and it sounds so good. It's something that no one else has but him. trink39.gif

I will likely be shot, tortured, and run out of town (and in that order) for the following comments.

As a drummer, (And not a very good one) I have come to appreciate many different aspects of the instrument. I think it is nearly impossible to rate two drummers side by side. I would assert however, that there are DRUMMERS, and then there are BAND MEMBERS whose job it is to drum. It is a lot of fun to go back and look at peoples influences, and their training, and figure out who is who. Neil Peart is a great example of a DRUMMER. He has methodically mastered every aspect of the craft over the years. There are lots of other DRUMMERS. Dennis Chambes is another great example. You can sit these guys in any musical situation, and they would kick some names and take some ass!

On the other side, I think anyone who has been able to make a go of the music industry deserves some credit. They might not be DRUMMERS, but what they do fits.... what they do. I would stipulate however, that a BAND MEMBER can be an overrated DRUMMER for sure! Perhaps a lot of the hype comes from a group with a large fan base, such as Metallica. Just because a band is liked, and commercially successful, doesnt mean the man behind the kit is a DRUMMER. Add the marketing blitz and endorsements to that, and it is a recipe for undeserved idolization.

Having said all of that, I tend to agree with most posters here with respect to those individuals who have been elevated to DRUMMER status agasint all percussive reason. I will give them credit for their sucess, I would rather be an overrated drumming band member than what I currently call my profession!

Thanks for listening! trink39.gif

Ok. Let me add Dennis Chambers to the mix. I think he is over rated. He is really good, but that's as far as I'll go. I have seen his name pop up in here several times as under rated. He is good but not elite.

I think John Dolmayan is underrated.

About halfway down this page is a sample of his playing if anyones interested. The name of the song is I-E-A-I-A-I-O

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/John_Dolmayan.html

Edited by Indica

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Feb 7 2005, 06:11 PM)
Ok. Let me add Dennis Chambers to the mix. I think he is over rated. He is really good, but that's as far as I'll go. I have seen his name pop up in here several times as under rated. He is good but not elite.

I'll have to disagree with you on that one. I had the chance to see Dennis Chambers two summers ago when he toured with Santana. Quite frankly I was actually more impressed with him than I was with seeing Neil live. He has a great flow, awesome chops, and great overall skill. One thing about Chambers too is that he has a great transition from jazz drumming to rock drumming, one thing that a lot of drummers have trouble doing. Overrated, no. Underrated, hell no.

QUOTE (rollthbns @ Feb 7 2005, 05:24 PM)
I will likely be shot, tortured, and run out of town (and in that order) for the following comments.

As a drummer, (And not a very good one) I have come to appreciate many different aspects of the instrument. I think it is nearly impossible to rate two drummers side by side. I would assert however, that there are DRUMMERS, and then there are BAND MEMBERS whose job it is to drum. It is a lot of fun to go back and look at peoples influences, and their training, and figure out who is who. Neil Peart is a great example of a DRUMMER. He has methodically mastered every aspect of the craft over the years. There are lots of other DRUMMERS. Dennis Chambes is another great example. You can sit these guys in any musical situation, and they would kick some names and take some ass!

On the other side, I think anyone who has been able to make a go of the music industry deserves some credit. They might not be DRUMMERS, but what they do fits.... what they do. I would stipulate however, that a BAND MEMBER can be an overrated DRUMMER for sure! Perhaps a lot of the hype comes from a group with a large fan base, such as Metallica. Just because a band is liked, and commercially successful, doesnt mean the man behind the kit is a DRUMMER. Add the marketing blitz and endorsements to that, and it is a recipe for undeserved idolization.

Having said all of that, I tend to agree with most posters here with respect to those individuals who have been elevated to DRUMMER status agasint all percussive reason. I will give them credit for their sucess, I would rather be an overrated drumming band member than what I currently call my profession!

Thanks for listening! trink39.gif

That is perfectly said! I totally agree with those statements.

I have always said "give me one good note, instead of 100 I can't hear". This goes with my theory of "your in the band to play your parts and only your parts". "Anything you add that the song doesn't need, is selfish, unnecessary and overplaying".

Now, there are 'bands' that their sole purpose is to overplay and be 'musicians bands' and we all love these groups and players. These are the guys that get to show-off for a living and actually are the majority or the 'greatest' players.

And if I can be so selfish to say that, I am a professional musician, playing music for a living and I Never play anything during a song that is unnecessary, never. I only play what the songs needs and nothing more, well rarely.

On a different note: What is considered a good drummer, or any musician for that matter? Technical ability, feel, chops, style, ect...? I think that the best musicians are the ones that play the right part for the song. Doesn't matter if your Charlie Watts or Mike Portnoy, thay are both great 'at what they do'. The Stones songs don't need tons of fills, DT songs do! So, who's better? Doesn't matter, they're both great, and fit their respective bands perfectly. That's what matters in the long run.