Most overrated drummer?

kazzman

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tommy Lee. Definitely Tommy Lee.

Wow, it's Lars or less day around here! laugh.gif I too agree with that, (never been a huge Metallica fan).

I really can't think of any 'overrated' drummers, because none of them really get any love! There are plenty over the course of time that have been 'called' great drummers...ie:Ringo Starr, Peter Criss, Charley Watts, ect...

But even those guys were/are good at 'their own stuff' and nobody can dispute that.

The only drummer I can think of that really stunk was Peter Criss. I am probably the biggest KISS fan that you'll ever meet but I always hated his playing. And i'm a professional drummer!!

Anyhow, my feeling is...I never heard a band with a great drummer that didn't make a name for itself. Therefore, I can't think of any, seriously!

*Now if there were a 'best drummer' thread, I have a few thoughts on that one.

Edited by launchpad67a

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Oct 13 2004, 05:14 AM)
Wow, it's Lars or less day around here! laugh.gif I too agree with that, (never been a huge Metallica fan).
I really can't think of any 'overrated' drummers, because none of them really get any love! There are plenty over the course of time that have been 'called' great drummers...ie:Ringo Starr, Peter Criss, Charley Watts, ect...
But even those guys were/are good at 'their own stuff' and nobody can dispute that.
The only drummer I can think of that really stunk was Peter Criss. I am probably the biggest KISS fan that you'll ever meet but I always hated his playing. And i'm a professional drummer!!
Anyhow, my feeling is...I never heard a band with a great drummer that didn't make a name for itself. Therefore, I can't think of any, seriously!

*Now if there were a 'best drummer' thread, I have a few thoughts on that one.

I'm game - I'll even start!

I am a drummer myself and of course Neil's my favorite, but I have some others that I dig for various reasons. First, I really like Phil Collins (JOKING!!!!)

I like the dude from Primus a lot (the earlier guy, not the guy on the latest album or two)

I like a drummer from an indie/jazz-type band called Pele. I don't know his name but he's killer!

I really dug Jimmy Chamberlain from Pumpkins while in college. He was pretty raw and powerful.

I also admire ACDC drummer for always knowing how to stay in the pocket and not overplay (us drummers find that heard to do - especially Rush fans).

I'll need tp think more.

I'd definitely have to say Tommy Lee. In fact, I always thought Motley Crue were hugely overrated. Also, although I've liked Van Halen for many years, I think Alex Van Halen is overrated as well. He's been playing the same tired, boring drum solo since about 1980. schla03.gif

I do think drummers like Phil Rudd, (AC/DC), Charley Watts, (Stones), and Larry Mullen, (U2), don't get enough credit. They're very good "stay at home" drummers.

Likewise, Chester Thompson, (Weather Report, Genesis, and Phil Collins), is an excellent drummer.

My favourite drummer however, remains Neil Peart. His drumming, and solos, ("O Baterista" for example), never cease to amaze me. cheer.gif

LOL, I didn't mean to turn the post around that quickly!

Mike Portnoy and Dave Weckl pretty much leave all others wondering why they even attempt to play!

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Oct 13 2004, 10:17 AM)
LOL, I didn't mean to turn the post around that quickly!

Mike Portnoy and Dave Weckl pretty much leave all others wondering why they even attempt to play!

I remember back on the old rush.net there was a guy who registered under the name daveweckle and then said how unoriginal and unispiring peart was...

I definently agree on Tommy Lee being overrated as well.

QUOTE (evvy @ Oct 13 2004, 11:37 AM)
who does Weckl play with?

Dave Weckl for the most part has been Chick Corea's drummer for the past 15 years. He is for lack of a better term a 'jazz fusion' drummer.

I honestly don't think any drummer out there has the same chops and control as him. Just my opinion.

Gotta go with Tommy Lee as well. Uninspiring.

I'd like to throw a name in there whom I think doesn't get enough attention. Eric Singer. Monster drummer, in my opinion. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Oct 14 2004, 12:15 AM)
QUOTE (evvy @ Oct 13 2004, 11:37 AM)
who does Weckl play with?

Dave Weckl for the most part has been Chick Corea's drummer for the past 15 years. He is for lack of a better term a 'jazz fusion' drummer.

I honestly don't think any drummer out there has the same chops and control as him. Just my opinion.

Weckl is a drummer's drummer. Chick Corea can pick any drummer he wants, so that should tell you something.

that's a hard one tommy lee is a easy answer most of his show is full of props not really is his style. I'll have to go with phil collins he is very over rated and not like peart and palmer definatly the best drummers in the world 2.gif RULES

Well, Ringo has never been rated very highly as a drummer, and that's appropriate. However, I once read raves in a "respected" rock rag over Charlie Watts. Sorry, his simplicity may be a sign of a man at ease with the basics, or it may just be indicative of an unimaginative, dull technique. My vote is for the latter.

Yeah, Lars, Al Van Halen, and Tommy Lee are over-rated, too.

QUOTE (yoda @ Oct 14 2004, 11:21 AM)
that's a hard one tommy lee is a easy answer most of his show is full of props not really is his style. I'll have to go with phil collins he is very over rated and not like peart and palmer definatly the best drummers in the world 2.gif RULES

I disagree. Listen to Collins' work with 'Brand X'. Granted, he seemed to 'water down' his skills later on down the line, but he drummed his butt off with 'Brand X'.

Phil Collins is actually underrated as a drummer. Early Genesis music was challenging to play, and it was Collins back there driving it. Of course, from Genesis' Invisible Touch album on he's turned into a complete panzie...

Charlie Watts actually is a jazz drummer first...the Stones are his day job. He's certainly no Dave Weckl or Steve Gadd, but he definitely holds back with Mick and Co.

I would say that Mike Portnoy is way over rated. I just recently saw DT open for Yes and Yes blew them away. I found it hard to believe that men in their mid to late 50s played with more enthusiasm and energy than guys in their mid to late 30s. DT is a yawn fest, even for them apparently.

Also John Bonham was way over rated when he was alive. But compared to current players he is quite good.

I don't know of any drummers that think highly of Lars Ullrich or Tommy Lee (though I liked Lee early on).

Weckl is awesome. Only Buddy was better. I saw Buddy when I was 11. Amazing.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Oct 14 2004, 12:43 PM)
I would say that Mike Portnoy is way over rated. I just recently saw DT open for Yes and Yes blew them away. I found it hard to believe that men in their mid to late 50s played with more enthusiasm and energy than guys in their mid to late 30s. DT is a yawn fest, even for them apparently.
Also John Bonham was way over rated when he was alive. But compared to current players he is quite good.

I don't know of any drummers that think highly of Lars Ullrich or Tommy Lee (though I liked Lee early on).

Weckl is awesome. Only Buddy was better. I saw Buddy when I was 11. Amazing.

Wow, I'm very suprised at the Portnoy comments. I really believe HE is the best rock drummer on the planet.

Seeing them open for Yes would be a dream concert in my mind. I've seen DT four times now and loved every show. Mabey because I know all the licks just like I know all of Rush's licks.

Oh well, to each their own... biggrin.gif