RPG: Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young To Die vs. Kill 'Em All

choose one  

17 members have voted

1. 1. album

• Jethro Tull - Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young To Die
    • Metallica - Kill 'Em All
  2. 2. band

3. 3. who really deserved the first metal grammy?

Kill Em is the better album, Tull the better band overall.

Metallica should have gotten the metal Grammy nod.

Ditto.

Too Old is one of the weaker Tull albums, but they are (in my view) a miles better band. Are they in any shape or form metal? I think not!

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 2

I'm in the minority that I really love that Tull album. I despise Under Wraps, though.

Kill'em All is great musically, but too immature for me aside from Four Horsemen.

Metallica should have had that Grammy, of course. In fairness it was not just a metal category at that time, and Tull did have hard rock on that album. So they did qualify.

That said, it was a stupid choice by cowardly voters afraid of acknowledging what at the time was still a true heavy metal band. For that more than anything Metallica should have won. Choosing Jethro Tull was cheating.

And I am a huge Tull fan

• Like 2

I'm in the minority that I really love that Tull album. I despise Under Wraps, though.

Kill'em All is great musically, but too immature for me aside from Four Horsemen.

Metallica should have had that Grammy, of course. In fairness it was not just a metal category at that time, and Tull did have hard rock on that album. So they did qualify.

That said, it was a stupid choice by cowardly voters afraid of acknowledging what at the time was still a true heavy metal band. For that more than anything Metallica should have won. Choosing Jethro Tull was cheating.

And I am a huge Tull fan

I like the Tull album, but I don’t love it. I don’t consider it among their best, in terms of songwriting or the energy with which it was played- whereas Kill ‘em All is just loaded with fire, IMO.

I pick Tull as the better band (and my more favored band) any day of the week. But I still say Kill ‘em All is a better album than that particular Tull album.

• Like 1

Listening to Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die! by Jethro Tull is like "pulling teeth" where anesthesia is needed.

No pun intended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i8-agWJqP0

The Tull album was initially released to mixed reviews.

I bet all the bass players who learned Cliff Burton's bass solo built up the strength in their fingers from dialing a rotary phone.

Would that be the same as using finger strength texting on a smartphone?

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

My knowledge and interest in heavy rock/metal, drops off sometime in the nineties but I put Kill 'em All in a very elite category in heavy music, as in, after its' release, something fundamentally changes in the genre

Cream - Disraeli Gears

Led Zeppelin I

Black Sabbath s/t

Van Halen I

Metallica - Kill 'em All

Nirvana - Never Mind

• Like 1

My knowledge and interest in heavy rock/metal, drops off sometime in the nineties but I put Kill 'em All in a very elite category in heavy music, as in, after its' release, something fundamentally changes in the genre

Cream - Disraeli Gears

Led Zeppelin I

Black Sabbath s/t

Van Halen I

Metallica - Kill 'em All

Nirvana - Never Mind

I might substitute Cream for Hendrix, but yeah those are all huge turning points.

Cream - Disraeli Gears

Led Zeppelin I

Black Sabbath s/t

Van Halen I

Metallica - Kill 'em All

Nirvana - Never Mind

I might substitute Cream for Hendrix, but yeah those are all huge turning points.

Not to intentionally go off topic with my upcoming comments.

Dennis DeYoung who released his last solo album in two volumes recently mentioned in interviews that he considers Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine "the last guitar hero".

Young wrote a song in relation featuring Morello on guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rfL2jy7-Ic

I would probably add Rage Against the Machine's self-titled debut album from 1992 on the list.

Edited by RushFanForever

Cream - Disraeli Gears

Led Zeppelin I

Black Sabbath s/t

Van Halen I

Metallica - Kill 'em All

Nirvana - Never Mind

Not to intentionally go off topic with my upcoming comments.

Dennis DeYoung who released his last solo album in two volumes recently mentioned in interviews that he considers Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine "the last guitar hero".

Young wrote a song in relation featuring Morello on guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rfL2jy7-Ic

I would probably add Rage Against the Machine's self-titled debut album from 1992 on the list.

Strong contender. I think a lot of influential albums from that period get outshined by Nevermind.