How Good Was The Ox?

I submit for your perusal an isolated live bit from a Who great one.

Won’t Get Fooled Again: John Entwistle’s Isolated Bass (Live, 1978) – No Treble

I rate Entwistle as certified BAD ASS, Ok, not news but deserving of a revisit perhaps.

• Like 3

I submit for your perusal an isolated live bit from a Who great one.

Won’t Get Fooled Again: John Entwistle’s Isolated Bass (Live, 1978) – No Treble

I rate Entwistle as certified BAD ASS, Ok, not news but deserving of a revisit perhaps.

With a bassist like that it's no wonder Roger didn't need to play an instrument to fill out the sound.

• Like 1

I’ve been listening to the Quadrophenia lately and goddamn is The Real Me just f***ing awesome.

I've said it many times back in the days of Feedback and R30 when Rush were doing covers, they should have covered The Real Me. They would have tore it up. Geddy would have had fun with the bass parts, and maybe Alex could have done the vocals for the fun of it.

• Like 5

I’ve been listening to the Quadrophenia lately and goddamn is The Real Me just f***ing awesome.

I always thought that The Real Me was a big influence on the bass in The Body Electric. Thoughts?

• Like 1

I always thought that The Real Me was a big influence on the bass in The Body Electric. Thoughts?

Can you offer some specific parts of TBE. The bass is so understated on GuP that it’s hard to see the connection - for me.

Can you offer some specific parts of TBE. The bass is so understated on GuP that it’s hard to see the connection - for me.

I’m betting he means the intro, which features some very prominent zippy bass licks.

• Like 1

Even when he wasn't doing flashy, crazy stuff, his playing was so melodic and interesting. Love his sound on the classic records, too...although he got into a sort of overly distorted, "fakey" overdriven sound later on that I wasn't so big on.
  • Like 1

I’m betting he means the intro, which features some very prominent zippy bass licks.

Yes exactly. Not just the sliding around on the neck that Ged does but the sound he gets reminds me of The Real Me and Quad in general bass wise.

• Like 1

Right up there with James Jamerson, Stanley Clarke, Chris Squire, and Ged. Top drawer, best of the best.

In the rock world, I believe this is 100% correct (with regard to the best of the best part).

On 6/27/2022 at 11:10 AM, dream & vapour said:

John passed away--believe it or not--twenty years ago today.  Tempus fugit!

RIP John

On 8/8/2021 at 10:08 AM, Xanadoood said:

Always felt he was too good for Moon. He could have easily fit into a prog/ jazz fusion band.

Too good for Moon???

Keith is a legend. At least one goat drummer doesn’t have a career without Moon’s pyrotechnical pizazz as an influence. I think Ox and Moon were a perfect match.

On 6/28/2022 at 8:10 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Too good for Moon???

Keith is a legend. At least one goat drummer doesn’t have a career without Moon’s pyrotechnical pizazz as an influence. I think Ox and Moon were a perfect match.

Indeed. I thought the Ox was more of a good counterpoint to Moon. Keith never seemed to play each measure the same way twice. John played well off it. The two of them had such a detailed, interwoven rhythm section. His stoic and confident presence on stage was also a good counterpoint to the rest of the band. None other than Great God Lemmy rated him quite highly. How's that for a recommendation? 

• Like 1