MTV turns 40 today

custom55

I wonder if they'll talk about this on Sirius/XM's 80s on 8 with the original VJs. Then they can discuss the meaning of the word irony while MTV runs a Jersey Shore marathon.

They did! I don't know; they may rerun it more this week. We were on a road trip and listened to what was a 3 hour special, I think. 80s on 8 had the 4 surviving original VJs talking and doing some interviews, and playing the songs from the first 2 hours MTV was on the air. It was fun to listen to.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

I was hooked at the beginning. Simple Minds: Don't you forget about me, Genesis: Land of Confusion, Fabulous Thunderbirds: Tuff Enough, Rockwell: Somebody's Watching Me. Oh, and when they played Rush's GUP concert. Damn I was addicted to music. Still am....
  • Like 4

My most vivid memory of mtv is watching a documentary about some band member floating around in a pool on a raft with a bottle of vodka in his hand drunk out of his mind while his mother sat on a chair watching him in tears.

Does anyone know who that might have been and if he is stlil alive?

Wasn't that the guitar player from WASP?

Yes, Chris Holmes and that was in the documentary, The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years. When they turned the camera toward his mom during that scene, you could see she was very uncomfortable. He's still with us.

http://youtu.be/yUxXO3eSHa0

Here he is today....

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

It was fun while it lasted. I remember enjoying Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Michael Jackson and Elton John. It was fun to watch and see what kind of crazy videos the groups could come up with and all the clothes. Once they started reality shows, it was down the tubes. No music at all, what was the point?

• Like 5

Head Banger's Ball was the BEST

:heart: :heart: :heart: We loved to watch Headbanger's Ball! What was it, Friday nights?? or Saturday nights? It was the best way to relax on the weekend!

• Like 1

MTV stopped meaning anything to me so long ago that I simply can’t care. The Real World and all that shit is nothing to me.

The Buggles still elicit a raising volume response.

• Like 1

By the time Video Killed The Radio Star was shown on MTV, The Buggles had already finished their debut album cycle, essentially broken up, joined Yes, then broken up again as one of them took off with Steve Howe to form Asia and the other one started making the Buggles second album mostly on his own, an album which would be released only a few months after MTV's debut.

EDIT: Notably Asia's debut album was thick into the recording process on August 1st, 1981, and it would be released toward the start of 82.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 3

There are few cultural institutions where the ratio of duration to contribution has been so skewed. MTV was a big deal for . . . what, the first five or six of the last 40 years? It's been running on its own fumes ever since. MTV is the equivalent of a one-album wonder band you can still catch at county fairs.
  • Like 3

There are few cultural institutions where the ratio of duration to contribution has been so skewed. MTV was a big deal for . . . what, the first five or six of the last 40 years? It's been running on its own fumes ever since. MTV is the equivalent of a one-album wonder band you can still catch at county fairs.

With only the drummer and bassist from the peak period.

• Like 2

MTV stopped meaning anything to me so long ago that I simply can’t care. The Real World and all that shit is nothing to me.

Remember when MTV used to play music on TV?

No, but you can only expect so much out of your memory when you get to be a certain age.

• Like 1

Of course...DURAN DURAN!

• Like 2

Of course...DURAN DURAN!

Her name was Rio.

• Like 2

Of course...DURAN DURAN!

Her name was Rio.

One of many girls on film.

• Like 2

M2 which later became MTV2 as well. First video on that channel on August 1, 1996 was Where It's At by Beck. Apparently, they're mostly playing movies and Comedy Central shows on their schedule so they're just as pathetic.

I don't mind the first couple of seasons. It went to crap with that Puck douche in San Fran. Beavis And Butthead and the underrated comedy skit show, The State, were the best of the non music shows. You tell them, Louie! :lol:

eixaFJH.gif

Edited by invisible airwave

I first started watching exactly a year after it debuted, because I remember all the happy birthday commercials. I was 13 and remember some of the songs that I absolutely hated, not realizing that the artist had been in a classic band just a few years earlier. Songs like Peter Gabriel's Shock the Monkey, Robert Plant's Big Log (I still hate that one), and Frida's There's Something Going On. An early favorite was Feet Don't Fail Me Now, by Utopia. Funny to think now I was just listening through a TV speaker.
  • Like 2

I don't mind the first couple of seasons. It went to crap with that Puck douche in San Fran.

Puck was the original reality TV jackass...the prototype that has been copied endlessly ever since.