Rush Cinema Strangiato Director's Cut 2021 Coming to Theaters September 9th

Jag2112

My son and I enjoyed it immensely. We saw it is a very good theater with a massive screen and fantastic sound system. All the keyboard flourishes were in surround sound so it was really on point.

A great time. Yeah we have everything on Blue Ray and DVD (Please remaster Rush Replay to blue ray!!!) but we enjoyed the Big Screen Experience. The Directors Cut though as very cool. Seeing Neil from behind the kit a lot was awesome. Some cool extra interviews etc.

What I would love if they are going to make this an annual thing (or so it seems they are) is going back and revisiting the older shows etc. That would be really cool. Like....make it a gathering of Rush fans to see A Show Of Hands or Grace Under Pressure for example. Remaster the stuff....make it an event for us to gather and enjoy Rush together in large groups.

That is what this is all about.

I saw it here in Orlando with a Rush buddy; it was fun!

I have to ask though - you mention "fantastic sound system" - were you able to hear the drums? lol. I do recall not being happy with the drum mix on the R40 blu-ray (I hardly ever watch it; probably not in 3-4 years) but in our theater yesterday, the sound was an abomination! It literally sounded like the drums were in the theater next door! The kick had no definition at all. The opening flourish of The Spirit of Radio and the drums were like a weak echo from a car driving by... that, and the cymbals were basically not in the mix at all.... We could see Neil's arms moving, and cymbals flopping away, but no sound! I believe the theater might have had the mids and/or front center speakers cranked - whenever Alex was not playing, you could hear this (quiet) drumming, but the minute Alex's part came in, it would rip your head off and the drums were basically completely obscured. It was fun to catch up with an old friend and the interludes, etc. but I was pretty disappointed in the sound.

It was fine at my theater to my ears. If anyone else here was in Camas last night what did you think?

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 1

My son and I enjoyed it immensely. We saw it is a very good theater with a massive screen and fantastic sound system. All the keyboard flourishes were in surround sound so it was really on point.

A great time. Yeah we have everything on Blue Ray and DVD (Please remaster Rush Replay to blue ray!!!) but we enjoyed the Big Screen Experience. The Directors Cut though as very cool. Seeing Neil from behind the kit a lot was awesome. Some cool extra interviews etc.

What I would love if they are going to make this an annual thing (or so it seems they are) is going back and revisiting the older shows etc. That would be really cool. Like....make it a gathering of Rush fans to see A Show Of Hands or Grace Under Pressure for example. Remaster the stuff....make it an event for us to gather and enjoy Rush together in large groups.

I have to ask though - you mention "fantastic sound system" - were you able to hear the drums? lol. I do recall not being happy with the drum mix on the R40 blu-ray (I hardly ever watch it; probably not in 3-4 years) but in our theater yesterday, the sound was an abomination! It literally sounded like the drums were in the theater next door! The kick had no definition at all. The opening flourish of The Spirit of Radio and the drums were like a weak echo from a car driving by... that, and the cymbals were basically not in the mix at all.... We could see Neil's arms moving, and cymbals flopping away, but no sound! I believe the theater might have had the mids and/or front center speakers cranked - whenever Alex was not playing, you could hear this (quiet) drumming, but the minute Alex's part came in, it would rip your head off and the drums were basically completely obscured. It was fun to catch up with an old friend and the interludes, etc. but I was pretty disappointed in the sound.

Sorry you had such a subpar sound mix. Ours was great, I could hear the crowd sounds like they were behind me and we were on the top row. Guess it is the luck of the draw with who sets up the system or the balance controls. :rage:

Our sound was really good. Great mix. That was the one thing I was really happy with the most. Sorry your sound mix stunk. That can ruin the entire experience.

• Like 1

A friend of mine is really trying to talk me into going to this. I've been resisting explaining that I have 85 percent of this already and that's without the Covid considerations. I guess there's a few days left to make up my mind.

Just got back from watching it here in Austin. If you aren’t feeling like going, you really aren’t missing out on much. I’m not going to spoil anything but if you have the R40 DVD you have most of what’s there already.

I decided against it. From the scraps of review bits I've read so far there was even less new that I thought there would be.

As you said, a huge percentage of it was on previously released DVDs.

Was the Big Book Of Bass short still in it? The Permanent Waves Deluxe ad?

A friend of mine is really trying to talk me into going to this. I've been resisting explaining that I have 85 percent of this already and that's without the Covid considerations. I guess there's a few days left to make up my mind.

Just got back from watching it here in Austin. If you aren’t feeling like going, you really aren’t missing out on much. I’m not going to spoil anything but if you have the R40 DVD you have most of what’s there already.

I decided against it. From the scraps of review bits I've read so far there was even less new that I thought there would be.

As you said, a huge percentage of it was on previously released DVDs.

Was the Big Book Of Bass short still in it? The Permanent Waves Deluxe ad?

No Big Book of Bass or Permanent Waves. Anthem had a big ad at the beginning promoting a :eh: country artist, a couple of Christmas albums Jose Feliciano with Dolly Parton and a tribute to Jose by other artists. That was a bit weird but not much else in the way of promotions.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

No Big Book of Bass or Permanent Waves. Anthem had a big ad at the beginning promoting a :eh: country artist, a couple of Christmas albums Jose Feliciano with Dolly Parton and a tribute to Jose by other artists. That was a bit weird but not much else in the way of promotions.

Those two things (Big Book of Bass short and the Permanent Waves Deluxe ad) are more or less past promotional items anyway.

The Big Book of Bass short is below.

http://vimeo.com/347098867

• Like 2

Unlike the last several Rush screenings I’ve been to, for this one I lucked into a theatre with a huge bright clear screen and an amazing sound system. I could hear every instrument clearly and the close-ups of hands on guitars were downright awe-inspiring. It brought back, if not ALL of the joy and excitement of a Rush gig, at least a satisfying portion of it. I’d go see that film anytime they showed it if I could always see it in that good a room.
  • Like 2

I had it really great. Went to the showing in Rosemont IL (up near O'Hare, maybe a 1/2 hour drive for me) on the second screen they opened (7:40 PM showing) when the first screen (7:30 PM showing) pretty much sold out. Only had about ten other folks in the theater - great social distancing for those of us that are at increased risk. Had on my Toronto Blue Jays "Weinrib 3" jersey. Said I would stay until I got bored, and wound up staying for the whole thing. Sound was great, viewing was great. Just had a blast.

Also going to see Primus in Chicago in a few weeks. My brother - He Plays Bass - and I are going. Primus is his favorite band, and they'll be playing the first album I heard from my favorite band, in a landmark Chicago theater. Doesn't get much better than that.

• Like 2

Those two things (Big Book of Bass short and the Permanent Waves Deluxe ad) are more or less past promotional items anyway.

The Big Book of Bass short is below.

http://vimeo.com/347098867

That's true. I was just trying to get an idea of what was completely new and hadn't been released before.and isn't already on a DVD.