Neil Peart's New Coffee Table Book Silver Surfers Announced

Jag2112

This is probably the past work-in-progress and now future posthumous book by the late Neil Peart that's referenced in Geddy Lee's December 2018 interview with Classic Rock magazine here.

It's been three years since Rush walked off stage at the LA Forum in Inglewood. That afternoon, rumours had circulated around the London Hotel in Hollywood that for the first time Rush drummer Neil Peart had asked that his live drums be shipped back home after the show, as opposed to the band's storage space in Nashville. That night as Peart stepped off his drum riser at the end of the show and snuck up on his unsuspecting bandmates and hugged them, as opposed to fleeing into the wings, there was more than a little suggestion that the band's time was up.

These days Peart is enjoying some kind of splendid isolation at home in California, where he's said to be working on a book of his own. Guitarist Alex Lifeson, who isn't sitting comfortably unless he has a guitar in his hands, has guested on numerous projects ("Alex is a cheap drunk, he'll play with anyone. I'm not so cheap," Lee says with a grin).

In the past few years Lee has been working on the expansive Geddy Lee's Beautiful Book Of Bass. A hefty (drop it on your foot and you'll known about it), lavishly illustrated and beautifully photographed book about the idea of collecting, the history of the bass guitar, and interviews with some of Lee's musical heroes. But it's so much more than that. The instruments he writes about echo Lee's musical journey; mention a certain model and he's transported away to a studio or tour that inspired him, or a store front where a guitar once hung and the young Lee stood staring through the window, determined that one day it would be his. Look around his basement studio now and you realise that he must have stared into quite a few music-shop windows in his time.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 3

I'm a big fan of Neil's lyric writing from what I consider his best era - '79 to '89 or so - but I really do not enjoy his prose writing at all. I slogged through the one about being on the road because I was hoping for some insight into his perspective on the band, but I didn't find the stuff about Rush all that interesting. I have to say, with all respect to Neil, I always felt like he was sort of using his position as a famous drummer - like, if he wasn't THE Neil Peart, his travel writing would not be well regarded or successful. I think he kinda knew that his readership was Rush fans, and so he'd pepper little mentions about the band here and there...when I think all we really wanted was a memoir of his time as a performer. I can't help but feel similarly about this new book - I'd rather read a great Car & Driver writer's book on these cars than Neil's.