RUSH's Synth Era Is Magical, what other bands have that great sound?

JohnRogers

check out the Kansas album Power if you haven't already.

Listening now, decent suggestion, thanks.

To me, Power is more like 90125/Big Generator vibes, but those albums all have those 80s touches that all prog bands including Rush seemed to have in that mid to late 80s period

Edited by ST3V

Sadly very little else I've ever heard sounds close to what Rush created in the 80s. Lots of stuff (such as the aforementioned Simple Minds) leans too far into the synth pop influences Rush picked up and forgets the killer guitar power and the nerviness and complexity of Neil and Geddy's rhythm section. Other stuff leans too far into the latter qualities and forgoes the former (think King Crimson's Discipline), and then there's the point of most of the popular rock music of the 80s was predicated on a strict diet of Van Halen, Kiss, Judas Priest, and hairspray... not exactly very good conditions for multiple Rush like bands to exist. I will say I have the album Worlds Apart by Saga, and I think they come pretty close to Rush's Power Windows sound. A bit heavier on keys and the vocals are obviously much more typical new wave than Geddy's rather unique style. But it's got the muscle and complexity paired with the pop sensibilities and synth aesthetic. Maybe try this:

http://youtu.be/gx7XbV82JfQ

• Like 2

I would also mention that Jump and I'll Wait from 1984 actually feel very close to the stylistic wheelhouse Rush were shooting for, albeit less prog. Once Hagar joined I think their synth endeavors went down a different road, though Why Can't This Be Love might be similar enough.
  • Like 2

There's also the obvious matter of The Police, who's influence on parts of Moving Pictures, Signals, and especially Grace Under Pressure are very obvious.
  • Like 2

Can't really say on this one as I found Rush's 'synth era' somewhat less than magical!
  • Like 4

There's also the obvious matter of The Police, who's influence on parts of Moving Pictures, Signals, and especially Grace Under Pressure are very obvious.

It's really obvious on New World Man and Digital Man. Not surprising that the former was their biggest hit in the US since The Police were huge back then. Bands like them and Men At Work had a similar sound and it worked.

• Like 2

Can't really say on this one as I found Rush's 'synth era' somewhat less than magical!

I mostly agree. If you want that sound, there are many other bands that did it better. This especially applies to Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. Edited by goose
  • Like 1

A British band called Dare where in that keyboard-AOR-rock vein. I only heard their Out of the Silence album which is very good.

They were a bit Rush-ish but maybe not as complicated as Rush with their songwriting.

Maybe some of the 80s Prog rock bands like Pallas or IQ would be a good fit too.

• Like 1

I mostly agree. If you want that sound, there are many other bands that did it better. This especially applies to Power Windows and Hold Your Fire.

BLASPHEME

• Like 1

I mostly agree. If you want that sound, there are many other bands that did it better. This especially applies to Power Windows and Hold Your Fire.

BLASPHEME

guilty as charged
  • Like 2

BLASPHEME

guilty as charged

I guess I'll have to turn myself in also!
  • Like 1

BLASPHEME

guilty as charged

I am Spartacus!

• Like 2

BLASPHEME

guilty as charged

It's getting pretty crowded in here.

• Like 1