World War 1

Lorraine

Two pretty well known books about WWI are The Guns Of August and All Quiet On The Western Front. The later book is a novel, but considered to be a great work of writing about the war from the point of view of a young German soldier.
  • Like 4

Two pretty well known books about WWI are The Guns Of August and All Quiet On The Western Front. The later book is a novel, but considered to be a great work of writing about the war from the point of view of a young German soldier.

Thank you. I got the other books about the Civil War you once suggested to me - the 3-volume set.

• Like 1

If you read a book about World War I and don't come out of it without being depressed and despairing about humanity, it wasn't a very good book.
  • Like 4

If you read a book about World War I and don't come out of it without being depressed and despairing about humanity, it wasn't a very good book.

Well, I'm already depressed and despairing about humanity, so ... ;)

• Like 3

This: https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/The-World-Crisis-1911-1918/Winston-Churchill/9780743283434

This abridged version is distilled from Winston's multi-volume set covering World War 1. Winston went from being First Lord of the Admiralty (dismissed after the failed Dardanelles campaign), to being a front line officer, as he was determined to remain in play after his dismissal. You can benefit from his perspective at various levels of engagement. Plus, kudos to Churchill for having the vision to bring along a mobile bathtub he could occasionally access at the front line in France. There's nothing like a good soak in a hot bath to help sort the world out.

I also recommend the film They Shall Not Grow Old, from filmmaker Peter Jackson (quite the WWI buff). It very vividly conveys what soldiers in the trenches faced (too vividly for some).

Bonus video: German WWI ace Ernst Udet performing a dead stick landing in Chicago, 1933

• Like 2

Thank you. I got the other books about the Civil War you once suggested to me - the 3-volume set.

Oh wow, the Shelby Foote series?

• Like 1

Yes. The books are as thick as bibles.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I won`t spoil the ending for you :16ton:

Thank you.

Hope you`re getting through this pesky waiting-week okay :)

It's an exercise in patience and surrender.

One week from today, at this time, I will be checked into the hospital awaiting surgery at 2:45.

I dread waking up from the surgery for fear of what I will wake up to.

• Like 3

Watch Blackadder Goes Forth.....comedy gold, and you actually learn quite a bit about the real thing through biting satire.

Watched the episode "Plan B" this morning, when Edmund faces the firing squad :lol:
  • Like 3

He's considered the expert on the Civil War. I loved the parts he contributed to the Civil War (9 part series) on PBS that Ken Burns did. Sadly Mr. Foote is gone now.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 4

The Guns of August is dense, but a fantastic read.

Watch Blackadder Goes Forth.....comedy gold, and you actually learn quite a bit about the real thing through biting satire.

Watched the episode "Plan B" this morning, when Edmund faces the firing squad :lol:

Me too. I’ve seen it dozens of time but it’s still makes me laugh. :lol:

• Like 1

He's considered the expert on the Civil War. I loved the parts he contributed to the Civil War (9 part series) on PBS that Ken Burns did. Sadly Mr. Foote is gone now.

I particularly like Shelby Foote describing an incident where a scared young soldier is brought before General Lee for some disciplinary action. Pararphrasing:

Lee: "Don't be afraid son, you' ll get justice here."

Soldier: "Sir, that's exactly what I'm afraid of."

Priceless.