BNL utilized Geddy Lee's Moog Taurus pedals

RushFanForever

In the latest issue of Canadian Musician magazine here, there's an article on the Barenaked Ladies discussing the making of their new album Detour de Force, which is being released today.

Bassist Jim Creeggan wrote this song titled 'Big Back Yard' for the new album.

The following bit elaborates more on this on page 36 of the article.

For Creeggan perhaps one of the most exciting parts of the process was getting to borrow and use Geddy Lee's personal Moog Taurus pedals. "That was an out of body experience. On 'Big Back Yard', I was actually playing bass and the Taurus pedals at the same time, so it was this wild experience of almost being an organ player!"

Here's the song below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHUFPjJ6UzM

On the Making of Detour de Force electronic press kit video; beginning at the 0:14 mark, you can briefly see Creeggan playing the pedals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NXFxdU8Sdo

I can hear the Moog Taurus pedals being utilized with headphones on as they have this low note droning sound, like when Geddy uses them while playing rhythm guitar on the Rickenbacker 4080 double neck guitar/bass during Alex's guitar solo on 'Xanadu' and 'A Passage to Bangkok' from Exit...Stage Left.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

Love their nod to Tom Sawyer before the last chorus of Grade 9.

"I went out for the football team to prove that I'm a man. I guess I shouldn't tell them that I like Duran Duran." :lol:

That song is from the first full length debut studio album Gordon where co-founders Steven Page and Ed Robertson were both members of the band.

Page left the band in 2009 and has a solo career now.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

From the Sept 2021 issue of Bass Player magazine here.

Jim Creeggan interview excerpt.

Which bass players influenced you?

I admired the jazz players like Paul Chambers, mainly. Edgar Meyer was a great inspiration for me, because he had a real wide breadth of feeling in his playing, which I think comes with classical. He also played bluegrass and stuff, which was great. But Geddy Lee was the first guy that I was air-bassing to, before I even played bass, you know. Actually, Geddy’s gear is on this record. We asked him if we could use his Taurus pedals, and he was generous enough to give them to us. On the song ‘Big Back Yard’ I’m actually playing his pedals and playing bass at the same time.

He’s a remarkably nice guy.

Yeah – he was very generous to us when we were coming up as young players. Rush gave us a bottle of champagne when we sold out this big concert venue in Toronto, Massey Hall. You know, here’s Rush giving us a bottle of wine, saying ‘Way to go!’ And Geddy inducted us into the Canadian Hall Of Fame. He didn’t have to do that, but he really cares. I remember watching him play, and I noticed that he threw in this little triplet. I couldn’t figure out how he did it, so I emailed him and he got back right away, saying ‘I hold my hand like this, and sometimes that triplet happens, and sometimes it doesn’t!’ That was so cool to hear.

• Like 1