RPG: Pyromania vs. Don't Look Back

choose one  

28 members have voted

1. 1. album

• Def Leppard - Pyromania
    • Boston - Don't Look Back
  2. 2. band

Well here's one where I'm sure which album I like better (Pyromania, DLB treads water in places), but I'm not sure which band I'd vote for... hm...
  • Like 1

I really like Don't Look Back but I love Pyromania. Best Leppard album, although as a band, Boston will always be special to me.
  • Like 3

Did you just produce this matchup so Rick N. Backer's head would explode?

He's talking about the band.

True, but they're still from Boston. I'm guessing you'd have trouble voting against New Kids on the Block.

Pyromania is one of my 5 favorite studio albums of all time. Def Leppard's extraordinary career highs more than buoy their career lows, which never get down to the truly horrendous.

Boston has a phenomenal debut and about 5-10 other solid songs.

• Like 2

True, but they're still from Boston. I'm guessing you'd have trouble voting against New Kids on the Block.

It would depend on the matchup. I'm probably going NKOTB over Hold Your Fire, for example.

It would depend on the matchup. I'm probably going NKOTB over Hold Your Fire, for example.

Come on, man.

• Like 1

Come on, man.

What? If the music stinks, I'm going with boys from "Dot" (Dorchester) all day every day.

Come on, man.

What? If the music stinks, I'm going with boys from "Dot" (Dorchester) all day every day.

I would never vote for a boy band or a Disney creation ever. Not even against Van Hagar.

Edited by laughedatbytime

Pyromania is the clear better album for me.

one great song after another.

Don'r look back while not bad at all. is just a hollow echo of the great debut.

Boston is my preffered band though.

Mick

• Like 1

This was easy for me...

...Def Leppard for both. I'm actually not much of a fan of Def Leppard, but I admit this is a greater album than the Boston one, and personally Boston are a one album only band for me. I appreciate that DL have stayed relevant for decades.

• Like 1

Def Leppard.

They were my favorite band for a long time when I was younger. I never got into Boston and from what I gather it's a popular belief that they pretty much shot their wad with that first album. At least Leppard made it to album number four before they did that.

• Like 1

Def Leppard.

They were my favorite band for a long time when I was younger. I never got into Boston and from what I gather it's a popular belief that they pretty much shot their wad with that first album. At least Leppard made it to album number four before they did that.

Boston came out swinging...and then limped. Not saying they were bad, I liked Don't Look Back and Third Stage, but they aren't great to my ears.

I'm not huge on Def Leppard but I definitely respect this album more than DLB and Def Leppard are hard rock/metal behemoths regardless of how I feel.

I don't see Boston in the same league.

• Like 2

Def Leppard.

It was all in the timing. Tom Scholz was/is a studio perfectionist. He recorded almost the entirety of the debut by himself in his basement on technology he either borrowed or created while working for Polaroid or some tech company like that. He just had Brad Delp come in for vocals and Sib Hashian come in for drum tracks, plus a couple extra guitars by another friend Barry Goudreau. Anyway the point of all that is he and his invited friends had endless time to tinker and develop songs in his basement to perfection, and then the record company got a hold of them. After a debacle where the label demanded the album be rerecorded professionally (which Scholz slyly did a little extra work on everything at home and passed it off to them as "professional"), Boston's debut saw massive success right out of the gate, and they had to go on tour (which meant an actual Boston touring band had to be concocted quickly). After some time touring, the label was on their butts to release another album, but Tom wasn't ready, and he kept arguing for more time in the studio. Eventually the label had their way and Scholz turned out Don't Look Back, somewhat unpolished and unfinished. The public made a couple hits out of it, but it was pretty obvious it was rushed and as such didn't do as well as the debut. After that, the label eventually let Tom work on his own schedule, which led to an 8 year gap between the second and third albums (after a two year gap between the first and second, not common in the 70s). By that point, it didn't matter how great the next Boston album was, they were old news in a world that had already seen the commercial rise and fall of AOR via Journey, Styx, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, and others petering out by the mid 80s. And by the time of their fourth album, Brad Delp had left the band and grunge had become the status quo of rock. Had Boston been able to work more quickly, or produce better results under pressure, their fate wouldn't have likely been tied to that killer debut. But it may just be that Tom really didn't have much left to say after that gem of a record. I doubt he ever seriously considered his band would see the success that it did.

• Like 3

you the thing about the boston Debut too.....it's not a band. Tom Scholz basically plays just about everything, lol

it's amazing though. one of......if not my fav debut.

oh EP beat me too it. great minds, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

you the thing about the boston Debut too.....it's not a band. Tom Scholz basically plays just about everything, lol

it's amazing though. one of......if not my fav debut.

oh EP beat me too it. great minds, lol

Mick

I love the debut. The next two albums are Great, just not the same level.

• Like 3

Come on, man.

I would never vote for a boy band or a Disney creation ever. Not even against Van Hagar.

Disney creation? You mean like Toy Story or Monsters, Inc.? I love Disney. How can you not love Disney?

Teatard.

• Like 1