Songs with parts you love - and parts you don't

Timbale

"Countdown" - "excitement so thick, you could cut it with a knife"

"Second Nature" - excellent lyrics, uninteresting music

"Half The World" - catchy music, but holy hell... these lyrics

"Virtuality" - do I need to explain this one?

"Spindrift" - Geddy's voice throughout the song, with otherwise decent music

Countdown is mostly cringey but the outro is Rush at their finest.

• Like 1

Geddy cited Neurotica as one of those "What was I thinking???" songs in an interview a few years ago which I found interesting considering he claimed for many years that RTB was the album he was most proud of for the songwriting
  • Like 1

Geddy cited Neurotica as one of those "What was I thinking???" songs in an interview a few years ago which I found interesting considering he claimed for many years that RTB was the album he was most proud of for the songwriting

Yeah, Ged also thought in 1996 that TFE was the best work they'd ever done. Later, after the long Neil pause, he admitted that they'd run out of gas on that album. So I wouldn't really listen to his assessments of his own work.

I'm an artist too (not music), and I freely admit that my opinion of my own art is useless.

• Like 1

Yeah, Ged also thought in 1996 that TFE was the best work they'd ever done. Later, after the long Neil pause, he admitted that they'd run out of gas on that album. So I wouldn't really listen to his assessments of his own work.

I'm an artist too (not music), and I freely admit that my opinion of my own art is useless.

Artists always love their newest work and for the sake of their contract with the distributor, certainly have to "talk it up". Sometimes they're so close to the work that they can't recognize what's wrong with it. That definitely happened with the original version of "Vapor Trails". It would be interesting now to hear Alex and Geddy if they were asked to review some of Rush's "lesser known" songs. Was it Geddy who recently (within the last 20 years that is) said that he can't even listen to the "Fly By Night" album in full anymore? I remember he said that was his least favorite album on a TV rock show of some sort. And I seem to recall Neil having said that he was disturbed by his lyrics for "Anthem", saying something to the effect that those lyrics were possibly his most "misinformed" words which led some to "misunderstand" what he meant to be saying. Or maybe my brain is making this all up.

Edited by Geddyleegenes

As far as I know Power Windows, RTB & Clockwork were Geddy's personal favorite albums. All three of them seemed really happy with Clockwork especially Neil who also once named Power Windows as an album he'd like the most if he took the mindset of a fan outside the band

As far as I know Power Windows, RTB & Clockwork were Geddy's personal favorite albums. All three of them seemed really happy with Clockwork especially Neil who also once named Power Windows as an album he'd like the most if he took the mindset of a fan outside the band

That's interesting.

AFAIK Alex likes Moving Pictures best (duh), calls it their best album.

Neil liked HYF a lot, according to reports.

But why the hell would any fan like PW the best? All that sequencing?

I don't know but both Neil and Geddy were both openly big fans of that album in the many years after it came out. I'm pretty positive Alex felt differently because his guitar playing was restrained during that era of the band. And as I previously mentioned Geddy up until Clockwork Angels had always claimed roll the bones as his personal favorite album as far as quality songwriting but not it's wimpy soft soundscape

I can't listen to Clockwork Angels as an album because the songs are too long & too dense with no breathing room and the mix sucks not to mention Geddy's late era weak straining cracking vocals but I like a lot of the riffs and "parts" in many of the heavier songs. If there was a way to edit out the vocals and remix each song into a shorter instrumental I'd actually enjoy it much more. Similar to my comment last year on how Spindrift starts off well and then after a minute or so I get bored with it and skip to the next song
  • Like 1