Songs with parts you love - and parts you don't

Timbale

Most of us have Rush songs we don't like...but I'm curious about songs that have sections that you really love along with sections that you do not.

For me, the first one I can think of is Chain Lightning. The chorus, "Sun dogs fire on the horizon..." is something I really love - the marriage of the instrumentation, rhythm, melody and lyric are just sublime...but the verses are throw away garbage to me. (And like pretty much every Rush song with a spoken part, the "That's nice" ending is totally annoying.). It makes it a song that I don't ever actively listen to...but that chorus will get in my head once in a while and I think about how much I love it.

(A similar example...but one where my feelings aren't half as strong either way, is The Big Wheel...where the chorus is good to me [although lyrically nothing special], but the verses are tuneless and forgettable...)

Love/hate songs - do you have'm?

2112, love Overture, Priests, and the Grand Finale, but with the exception of Lifeson's solo in Presentation, it really drags in between.
  • Like 1

Well, the rap section of "Roll the Bones" is all-time cringey.

Yes, I suppose this example must go in the hall of fame.

Yeah .... I actually quite like the rest of the song .... it's just that rap bit ..... a world champion of awfulness.
  • Like 2

Double Agent

The verses are dreadful, the choruses dont have much going, but the pre-chorus sections ("wilderness of mirrors") has given me chills before

• Like 2

The Fountain of Lamneth. Bacchus Plateau is probably my favorite part, Panacea is probably my least favorite, but I don't necessarily think it's bad. The Necromancer is a way better song. Edited by jamie
  • Like 1

Dog years. Song rocks, which is more than one can say about the rest of the album. But the turtle from gallapagose part, or whatever it says there, just sucks big turtle eggs. Ruins the song. No idea why the underline is happening. I didn't turn it on, it won't turn off.

I love the whoa-oh-ohs at the end of Grand Designs, the rest of the song not so much.

Also: I've never much liked Tom Sawyer, but the drum break in it is mighty.

And as long as I'm tipping sacred cows, the bridge of The Trees is chock-full of glorious Rushy goodness, but I've got no use for the rest of the song.

• Like 1

Yeah I disagree with pretty much everything mentioned, lol.

Guess I just tend to take songs as a whole moreso.

• Like 1

"Countdown" - "excitement so thick, you could cut it with a knife"

"Second Nature" - excellent lyrics, uninteresting music

"Half The World" - catchy music, but holy hell... these lyrics

"Virtuality" - do I need to explain this one?

"Spindrift" - Geddy's voice throughout the song, with otherwise decent music

• Like 1

Well, the rap section of "Roll the Bones" is all-time cringey.

Yes, I suppose this example must go in the hall of fame.

Thread winner. Pack it up, this game's over.

Force Ten.

It has a beautiful prechorus ("look in, look out, look around")

BUT

1) terrible Neil intro - the only boring part he ever played

2) a really annoying synth on the second verse

Roll the Bones was the first to come to mind.

The narration in the Necromancer really drags that down for me.

There is no spoken word section of a Rush song that makes it better, in my opinion. When I was 14, I probably thought some of them were cool...but now, I find them unlistenable. A narration-free version of Necromancer would be so great.

For the love/no love bit, it's "The Necromancer". That slow-mo narration should have been recognized as bad back before the album was released. To me, it just doesn't work. Really annoying. The rest of the song is totally kick-ass, dude! It would be awesome if Alex/Geddy did a re-release on it and got Morgan Freeman to do a reading on that narration. Or James Earl Jones (Darth Vader's voice). Or Spongebob Squarepants for that matter.

The so-called "rap" of "Roll The Bones" ("It's a 'speaking part' ", according to Geddy!) would have been cool if they had been able to get John Cleese to do it. I got used to it and now when I hear it, I "hear" a specific voice at a certain point. For me, in my head, I always imagine Homer Simpson saying, "The Night Has a Thousand Sax-a-maphones." And that makes it all better.

To comment on some of the other posts above this: "Virtuality" and "Dog Years" are two songs that pretty much do nothing for me. Along with "Rivendell", but Rivendell's words are cool. I get the "I'd rather be a tortoise from Galapagos" bit. Those things live for like 300 years or something. As opposed to 9 to 12 years (or so) for dogs.

From "2112": "Discovery" does drag, imo, with the actual "discovering" how the strange device works. I love the rest of the entire song.

From the op's choice, "Chain Lightning": I have always remembered Neil writing about this song's lyrics, saying that the "Sun dogs fire on the horizon" was something that he experienced alongside his daughter, Selena, when she was around 9 years old. These further lyrics from the same song, "This moment may be brief, But it can be so bright, Reflected in another source of light, When the moment dies, The spark still flies, Reflected in another pair of eyes" - is a direct reference to Neil seeing an excitement for experience in his own daughter's eyes. I recall this information regarding this song made me look much more deeply towards it. Of course, after the tragedy of Selena's death some 10 years later, this song gained even stronger impact. For me, that is.

• Like 4

Dog years. Song rocks, which is more than one can say about the rest of the album. But the turtle from gallapagose part, or whatever it says there, just sucks big turtle eggs. Ruins the song. No idea why the underline is happening. I didn't turn it on, it won't turn off.

Worst representation of turtles in media until Adam Sandler decided to make a comeback movie for Dana Carvey.

• Like 1

Face Up is very average and horribly mixed...if they held that over to Counterparts with the beefier sound maybe it would've been much improved.

However, I *love* the middle part "You get all squeezed up inside..." leading to the kick ass (as much as Rupert Hine's wimpy producing allowed) guitar solo.

Tom Sawyer.....love the music, hate the lyrics...f**k off Pye Dubois.

Force10......as above (don't know if dubious Dubois was involved, don't care)

• Like 2

Tom Sawyer.....love the music, hate the lyrics...f**k off Pye Dubois.

Force10......as above (don't know if dubious Dubois was involved, don't care)

Now that Fridge has given his opinion for the day I can finally sleep tonight.

• Like 2