Some Of Neil's Snare Drums For Sale

Syrinx

I have known about this for a while, but it was being kept under wraps. Very legit and approved by the estate. But you need DEEEEEP pockets!

https://souldrums.co...gump-collection

Very cool! This other page of theirs tells about the drums in more detail (if you want to buy them :o )

https://souldrums.com/blogs/blog/the-bubba-gump-collection

• Like 1

I know the people involved with this. They didn't want it to go the route of the Chromey set at some big auction, so they contacted most of the major vintage drum dealers in the USA, and these are the consensus prices to put on the drums. In Canadian dollars it looks even more daunting! I am not sure they will sell, but I never in my wildest dreams thought that the chrome set would go for $500K. You have rookie cards of baseball and basketball players who have been in the pros for a couple of years, going for hundreds of thousands of dollars, these days. No matter what has happened in the economy the last few years, there are people out there with more money than they know what to do with. That Vapor Trails kit is maybe my all time favorite of Neil's. I remember seeing it on stage and thinking it was a work of art more than a drum set.
  • Like 5

I know the people involved with this. They didn't want it to go the route of the Chromey set at some big auction, so they contacted most of the major vintage drum dealers in the USA, and these are the consensus prices to put on the drums. In Canadian dollars it looks even more daunting! I am not sure they will sell, but I never in my wildest dreams thought that the chrome set would go for $500K. You have rookie cards of baseball and basketball players who have been in the pros for a couple of years, going for hundreds of thousands of dollars, these days. No matter what has happened in the economy the last few years, there are people out there with more money than they know what to do with. That Vapor Trails kit is maybe my all time favorite of Neil's. I remember seeing it on stage and thinking it was a work of art more than a drum set.

I feel the same about the HYF/Presto Kit.

• Like 1

They'll sell. Drop in the bucket for some people. Just not us.

• Like 4

If someone paid more than ten bucks for those DW concert toms...they got ripped off. Those were the worst sounding tom toms I think I've ever heard.

I’ve been trying to figure out why they sounded like shit. Was Neil’s drum tech just like “f**k this”? Putting together and tuning 2 kits a night is a lot of frickin work.

Or were the toms purposely tuned lower so Neil wouldn’t abuse his joints so badly?

• Like 1

If someone paid more than ten bucks for those DW concert toms...they got ripped off. Those were the worst sounding tom toms I think I've ever heard.

I’ve been trying to figure out why they sounded like shit. Was Neil’s drum tech just like “f**k this”? Putting together and tuning 2 kits a night is a lot of frickin work.

Or were the toms purposely tuned lower so Neil wouldn’t abuse his joints so badly?

Totally agree with you guys. Those El Darko concert toms just did not sound right. You might be on to something with his joints; he really avoided going up there as much as possible on R40... I get it; you get older, the tally on the body is cumulative. But man, I will never forget my first show - seeing him lay into those concert toms in 1984 (P/G) and just fly around them. The timbale/concert tom section of his solo was just fantastic (with the little added mimic of the Horse Race trumpet fanfare...)

• Like 1

The toms that were sold were "out of round" so maybe that is why they sounded like crap. they were replaced half way through the tour.

Hmmm- I saw the LA show and they sounded way detuned - too low and flabby sounding. Zero attack. And the older songs were ALL attack.

• Like 2

Interesting. I don't dispute that. I do know that the ones in the auction did go out of round and that is why they ended up with Lorne. Surprised that DW couldn't put together a set that sounded good.

Chemistry, I've thought about that a lot... and I think that is likely the case. It's confusing, because my sense is that his snare drum (the drum you hit the MOST in a show) did not seem to be detuned at all.

I found the toms on that kit completely baffling. Like, there was NO ONE who said Hey, this kit isn't sounding good? Neil? His tech? The other band members? Crew? It's impossible. Especially when the big goddamn deal was that it was a big reveal for the tour - a special centrepiece...when he easily could have just played his regular single bass drum kit all night. (Which, if memory serves, sounded fine.)

I'm a big fan of Neil and all... but everything about that kinda made me mad. Like all that promo shit about "these shells come from a per-historic log we pulled out of a primordial swamp human eyes had never before blah blah" is so stupid. Who gives a f**k if there are kits available for under a grand that sound WAY better?! I know his drum tech is kind of a minor celeb within the Rush world, and maybe the larger drumming world...but I don't think that guy knew what the hell he was doing, to be honest. I know it's subjective...but I don't think there are many folks who would say under oath that ANY of his kits since Larry Allen left as tech sounded better than his earlier ones. I enjoyed the first DW kit's sound...but I sorta think the fact that he went with coated heads for that tour might have a lot to do with that. Every Lorne-manned kit since then has been either meh or downright awful.

• Like 3

Chemistry, I've thought about that a lot... and I think that is likely the case. It's confusing, because my sense is that his snare drum (the drum you hit the MOST in a show) did not seem to be detuned at all.

I found the toms on that kit completely baffling. Like, there was NO ONE who said Hey, this kit isn't sounding good? Neil? His tech? The other band members? Crew? It's impossible. Especially when the big goddamn deal was that it was a big reveal for the tour - a special centrepiece...when he easily could have just played his regular single bass drum kit all night. (Which, if memory serves, sounded fine.)

I'm a big fan of Neil and all... but everything about that kinda made me mad. Like all that promo shit about "these shells come from a per-historic log we pulled out of a primordial swamp human eyes had never before blah blah" is so stupid. Who gives a f**k if there are kits available for under a grand that sound WAY better?! I know his drum tech is kind of a minor celeb within the Rush world, and maybe the larger drumming world...but I don't think that guy knew what the hell he was doing, to be honest. I know it's subjective...but I don't think there are many folks who would say under oath that ANY of his kits since Larry Allen left as tech sounded better than his earlier ones. I enjoyed the first DW kit's sound...but I sorta think the fact that he went with coated heads for that tour might have a lot to do with that. Every Lorne-manned kit since then has been either meh or downright awful.

Wow man- reading my mind. I totally agree. The clockwork angels tour kit sounded horrible too. That could’ve been a bad house mix too. Maybe a combo of different things.

I noticed things were weird at R30 - the obscenely bright tom tunings with those awful DW heads. And then just seemed to go down hill after that. Not so noticeable live- they were still awesome - but on those recordings - it was hard understand what the f**k they were after sonically.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 3