Colon Cancer

Lorraine

The surgery is scheduled for July 27th in the afternoon. Two to three day hospital stay.

Now, I'm scared.

Lorraine, I'm sure you are. :hug2: We are here to support you. :heart:

• Like 5

The surgery is scheduled for July 27th in the afternoon. Two to three day hospital stay.

Now, I'm scared.

Just over three weeks until you are home without the growth, then :)
  • Like 4

At least you now know what's ahead for you and that it hasn't spread. I know it is a cliche but take it a day at a time, try not to overwhelm yourself with worrying (I know easier said than done). Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. :hug2: Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

The scan showed a large cancerous growth. I have to have an operation.

He said the good news is that the cancer hasn't spread to any other organs.

Do you know this for sure? Don't you need a biopsy to determine if the growth is cancerous?

Maybe it's too early to worry.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1

Do you know this for sure? Don't you need a biopsy to determine if the growth is cancerous?

Maybe it's too early too worry.

Apparently not. I am only repeating what I was told by the doctor.

• Like 1

Maybe it's too early to worry.

A biopsy is to determine whether the growth is malignant or not.

The fact that it hasn't spread and the timeline history Lorraine gave means it is very unlikely it is malignant

Believe me, they wouldn't take this course of action unless they were very sure.....I presume she has had blood work done (Lorraine can confirm) which would back this up

A cancer that had spread would show changes.

It looks good, Lorraine....my father was only in hospital overnight for something similar...you'll get through this.

• Like 8

Hopefully, the surgery is, and will be successful, and go smoothly without any complications. For you, thinking of positive thoughts, and prayers.
  • Like 3

If anyone knows any details about this colon resection surgery, can you tell me about it?

What I've been reading on the internet scares me. It scares me because this isn't as simple as I thought. I am going to need help when I come home. My husband is of no help to me whatsoever. I need him like a hole in the head right now. If I had known I was going to be diagnosed with his, I would never have gotten a cat either. It seems I won't be able to drive for at least two weeks which makes things hard too.

Plus, I don't relish the fact that I may have a catheter in either. They're uncomfortable and cause UTI's.

Edited by Lorraine

L, I don`t think any of us here know exactly what things will be like, so I can only speak from the experiences I have heard from many others from the jobs I used to do. People that had the ops many years before, or just a few months back, varied experiences, many a lot older than you whom were still managing independent living. And I know I`m writing on the internet but beware what you read on the internet as people tend not to post about their happy and successful experiences :eyeroll:

Are you more susceptible to a UTI with a catheter? Yes, but catheters don`t cause them. You`ll be able to look after your own which is the big distinction between you and those that have problems with theirs. Flushing them out through drinking lots of water is the simplest thing you can do A catheter would only be temporary for you, right, until things have healed?

Your bowel habits will be altered, and probably alarmingly at first. But it will settle. It will be a thing you`ll need to think about more, especially once and about, once you`re out and driving again. Some loperamide will help and the mental acceptance of it being a thing you cannot control as much now, not feeling low about. Very important to try not to let it get you down. Low fibre forevermore, too. Some gentle exercises to strengthen the muscles will help, and are worth persevering with.

Do you know anything about whether you`ll need a stoma? Obviously these things depend on the location of the surgery and the need to remove all the growth.

You`ll get a lot of literature to help, I`m sure. And the extra stress from your other circumstances, please get as much help as you can from whatever source, anything that helps you focus on recovery. Get everything on a surface you can reach so you can avoid bending, get stock of everything you`ll need, if your cat has to jump onto a surface to eat then do that. Just try to make everything easier in advance so you aren`t having anything extra to deal with. It`s big thing to go through and don`t expect it to be easy - it wouldn`t for anyone on the planet, and we`d all be scared. But you have a lot of strength and ability to deal with things that would probably flatten most of us. :hug2:

• Like 4

If anyone knows any details about this colon resection surgery, can you tell me about it?

What I've been reading on the internet scares me. It scares me because this isn't as simple as I thought. I am going to need help when I come home. My husband is of no help to me whatsoever. I need him like a hole in the head right now. If I had known I was going to be diagnosed with his, I would never have gotten a cat either. It seems I won't be able to drive for at least two weeks which makes things hard too.

Plus, I don't relish the fact that I may have a catheter in either. They're uncomfortable and cause UTI's.

My mother in law had a large part of her colon removed after an intense case of diverticulitis. She was nearly 80yo at the time and recovered just fine. Modern medicine is truly remarkable.

ETA: I'll light a candle to St. Bonaventure for you, Lorraine.

Edited by goose
  • Like 7

L, I don`t think any of us here know exactly what things will be like, so I can only speak from the experiences I have heard from many others from the jobs I used to do. People that had the ops many years before, or just a few months back, varied experiences, many a lot older than you whom were still managing independent living. And I know I`m writing on the internet but beware what you read on the internet as people tend not to post about their happy and successful experiences :eyeroll:

Are you more susceptible to a UTI with a catheter? Yes, but catheters don`t cause them. You`ll be able to look after your own which is the big distinction between you and those that have problems with theirs. Flushing them out through drinking lots of water is the simplest thing you can do A catheter would only be temporary for you, right, until things have healed?

Your bowel habits will be altered, and probably alarmingly at first. But it will settle. It will be a thing you`ll need to think about more, especially once and about, once you`re out and driving again. Some loperamide will help and the mental acceptance of it being a thing you cannot control as much now, not feeling low about. Very important to try not to let it get you down. Low fibre forevermore, too. Some gentle exercises to strengthen the muscles will help, and are worth persevering with.

Do you know anything about whether you`ll need a stoma? Obviously these things depend on the location of the surgery and the need to remove all the growth.

You`ll get a lot of literature to help, I`m sure. And the extra stress from your other circumstances, please get as much help as you can from whatever source, anything that helps you focus on recovery. Get everything on a surface you can reach so you can avoid bending, get stock of everything you`ll need, if your cat has to jump onto a surface to eat then do that. Just try to make everything easier in advance so you aren`t having anything extra to deal with. It`s big thing to go through and don`t expect it to be easy - it wouldn`t for anyone on the planet, and we`d all be scared. But you have a lot of strength and ability to deal with things that would probably flatten most of us. :hug2:

Thank you for the info and words of encouragement.

I hope I don't need a stoma. The doctor didn't mention it. Maybe he will spring it on me as a surprise. :eh:

• Like 2

My mother in law had a large part of her colon removed after an intense case of diverticulitis. She was nearly 80yo at the time and recovered just fine. Modern medicine is truly remarkable.

ETA: I'll light a candle to St. Bonaventure for you, Lorraine.

Awww! My friend - St Bonaventure!! The good friend of St. Thomas Aquinas!!

Thanks, Goose!

• Like 2

Thank you for the info and words of encouragement.

I hope I don't need a stoma. The doctor didn't mention it. Maybe he will spring it on me as a surprise. :eh:

As long as his advice isn`t riddled with the horrendous number of careless typo`s that were in my post. You did well to make sense of it :facepalm: Ignore the stoma bit then, as I don`t think they`ll do that without letting you know first :ph34r:
  • Like 2

Hopefully you can get some help to get a good rest and heal well. Maybe call the County Office on Aging? They might have a visiting nurse or Meals on Wheels or something to help during the healing period? Fingers crossed that you can have a restful recuperation. Or maybe the hospital has a social worker that will have some ideas? :hug2:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

Hopefully you can get some help to get a good rest and heal well. Maybe call the County Office on Aging? They might have a visiting nurse or Meals on Wheels or something to help during the healing period? Fingers crossed that you can have a restful recuperation. Or maybe the hospital has a social worker that will have some ideas? :hug2:

I could never eat what Meals on Wheels would prepare. My husband had that for a time. It's real institutional food. My colon would never be able to withstand it during the initial healing. They said to eat soft foods - bread, soups, pudding, yogurt - stuff like that.

I think I found some people to help me today. I will know next week. If that doesn't pan out, the social worker will help me. The person who will drive me to the hospital and help out with my husband is going on vacation the first week of August. So I need to find someone else.

• Like 2

I could never eat what Meals on Wheels would prepare. My husband had that for a time. It's real institutional food. My colon would never be able to withstand it during the initial healing. They said to eat soft foods - bread, soups, pudding, yogurt - stuff like that.

I think I found some people to help me today. I will know next week. If that doesn't pan out, the social worker will help me. The person who will drive me to the hospital and help out with my husband is going on vacation the first week of August. So I need to find someone else.

I'm glad you have a little time before the end of the month, anyway. I'ts good you are in touch with the social worker!

• Like 2

I'm glad you have a little time before the end of the month, anyway. I'ts good you are in touch with the social worker!

I can't wait until the last minute.

I have so much on my mind right now. Each time I think of something else, I jot it down. Things fly out of my mind as fast as they fly in these days.

• Like 2

So are you still on for the 27th as well? Feeling any better about things I hope. Keeping you in my prayers friend :hug2:
  • Like 4

So are you still on for the 27th as well? Feeling any better about things I hope. Keeping you in my prayers friend :hug2:

Yes. It is still on for the 27th.

I'm scared. Keep thinking that the Lorraine I now know - this is the end of her. Someone disabled will awake from the operation and my life will never be the same.

Yes. It is still on for the 27th.

I'm scared. Keep thinking that the Lorraine I now know - this is the end of her. Someone disabled will awake from the operation and my life will never be the same.

Well it's easy for me to say, but you can't think like that. Not to get all woo woo or anything, but your mindset can help or hurt you. The mind is a powerful thing. We would all be scared, let's face it, this is a scary thing for anyone. But you have to try to find a way to keep yourself in a good place, get yourself in a good mental space leading up to the surgery. I know you already have a stressful life at home with your husband to begin with, but do whatever you can to just keep thinking postiive, healing thoughts. Even just some deep breathing every day, that lowers your blood pressure. You have to believe that you're going to get this done and be "fixed" and that it will still be you when it's over and that you're going to be ok.

• Like 4