Colon Cancer

Lorraine

Please read about OXALIPLATIN and XELODA and then, tell me, if you had cancer, and these two chemo drugs were recommended as your course of treatment, what would you do?

EDIT: I've already decided no chemo.

I'm sorry that I worded this post incorrectly.

I merely wanted to know what others would do if they had cancer and if these two chemo drugs were offered to them.

I have already made my decision about this, Lorraine. When/if I get cancer, I'm going with cannabis. Daily doses of CBD oil. And I will eat all the chocolate cake I want. I watched Janet go through treatment, and it took her away long before she should have - I say this even though it did technically "extend" her life. If they had let nature take its course, she would have slipped into a coma and died peacefully. What happened is that she ended up in pain from lesions and sores until they ended up administering an overdose of opiates. Chemo drugs give lots of misery and pain, from what I can see. Then you take drugs to counter the effects of those drugs, and on and on. I had a complicated excel file to keep everything organized. Her chemo drug, Temodol, was a pill so poisonous that I was not allowed to touch it - it could penetrate my skin and make me sick.

What I want is my final days to be filled with music, mellow feelings, friends sharing memories, and lots of cake. I'm not trying to be a wag. I just want all of my favorite things.

I know the cannabis thing is freighted with controversy, even now. Is the endocannabinoid system real? It seems there is only really anecdotal evidence of people who have gone into remission after taking CBD oil. But given the choice, that's what I will go with.

Having said all of that, I feel it is important to stress, as well, that you get as much information and opinions as you can from as many people as you can.

I remember very well how chemo made Janet's last months miserable, and it is on account of Janet that I decided, once and for all, I'd never get chemo.

I'm all for dying peacefully having done all the things I can and/or want to do with my health, more or less, intact, without suffering the wretched effects from that poison which will sap whatever peace and happiness I may have left long before my time has come.

No chemo for me.

I will take it one day at a time.

P.S. I was already warned about sugar and how much cancer cells love it. But, at this point in time, who cares?

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 7

Please read about OXALIPLATIN and XELODA and then, tell me, if you had cancer, and these two chemo drugs were recommended as your course of treatment, what would you do?

I merely wanted to know what others would do if they had cancer and if these two chemo drugs were offered to them.

I have already made my decision about this, Lorraine. When/if I get cancer, I'm going with cannabis. Daily doses of CBD oil. And I will eat all the chocolate cake I want. I watched Janet go through treatment, and it took her away long before she should have - I say this even though it did technically "extend" her life. If they had let nature take its course, she would have slipped into a coma and died peacefully. What happened is that she ended up in pain from lesions and sores until they ended up administering an overdose of opiates. Chemo drugs give lots of misery and pain, from what I can see. Then you take drugs to counter the effects of those drugs, and on and on. I had a complicated excel file to keep everything organized. Her chemo drug, Temodol, was a pill so poisonous that I was not allowed to touch it - it could penetrate my skin and make me sick.

What I want is my final days to be filled with music, mellow feelings, friends sharing memories, and lots of cake. I'm not trying to be a wag. I just want all of my favorite things.

I know the cannabis thing is freighted with controversy, even now. Is the endocannabinoid system real? It seems there is only really anecdotal evidence of people who have gone into remission after taking CBD oil. But given the choice, that's what I will go with.

Having said all of that, I feel it is important to stress, as well, that you get as much information and opinions as you can from as many people as you can.

I remember very well how chemo made Janet's last months miserable, and it is on account of Janet that I decided, once and for all, I'd never get chemo.

I'm all for dying peacefully having done all the things I can and/or want to do with my health, more or less, intact, without suffering the wretched effects from that poison which will sap whatever peace and happiness I may have left long before my time has come.

No chemo for me.

Me too. I didn't even talk about my sister, Cheryl, who died just over a year later, also from cancer. The drugs made her miserable, as well. No chemicals for me, thanks.

I'm not a very spiritual person, but I believe, very strongly - very strongly - that personal positivity in your own life, and positive and encouraging words from others, can alleviate pain. I think you will get a lot of those things here - call 'em vibes. Everyone is sending them, and I am sure the knowledge of that will help. It's no small thing to be admired and even adored - and I've seen tons of evidence of that on the forum. You should soak it up. I know it will help.

• Like 9

I found out early today that I have a mass on my colon.

I'll be meeting with the surgeon on Monday morning.

I've already decided no chemo/radiation.

Thought you might like to know.

:madra:

Your a fighter Lorraine ! Think positive ! :angel:

• Like 6

No chemo for me.

Me too. I didn't even talk about my sister, Cheryl, who died just over a year later, also from cancer. The drugs made her miserable, as well. No chemicals for me, thanks.

I'm not a very spiritual person, but I believe, very strongly - very strongly - that personal positivity in your own life, and positive and encouraging words from others, can alleviate pain. I think you will get a lot of those things here - call 'em vibes. Everyone is sending them, and I am sure the knowledge of that will help. It's no small thing to be admired and even adored - and I've seen tons of evidence of that on the forum. You should soak it up. I know it will help.

I'll try.

• Like 6

Wow this is a tough one. Many of us here are getting up there in years, so I understand the thought that our time is limited, why go through all of the tough side effects of chemo. I had a friend who was given 3 months to live and went through treatment and lived 4 years. I guess it is a matter if more time is important and what you do with it. We are here to support you whatever you decide Lorraine. Listen to others, but this is the most personal decision there is to make.

Yes, it is a big decision but everyone should have the right to make it for themselves. I remember my Aunt who decided she was so tired of fighting her diabetes, heart problems and being on dialysis. She just decided to stop the dialysis and everyone tried to talk her out of it. She didn't get a peaceful ending like she wanted but she went on her own terms. And her brother my Uncle who just passed last month refused dialysis because of what he saw his sister go through. I always respected my Aunt but even more after her passing. We don't know what cards we are going to be dealt, so "roll the bones".

• Like 9

Agreed.

:hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

• Like 5

Hospice has been chosen for me rather than palliative care. They are coming Friday morning to admit me.

One of the nurses, when I mentioned that I thought I'd start to go downhill after Christmas, thinks it might be sooner. I hope not. I'd like to have one last Christmas. She thinks that once I get the results of the PET Scan, I will calm down. Once I calm down, my body will start to go.

Those so inclined, pray for me.

Hospice has been chosen for me rather than palliative care. They are coming Friday morning to admit me.

One of the nurses, when I mentioned that I thought I'd start to go downhill after Christmas, thinks it might be sooner. I hope not. I'd like to have one last Christmas. She thinks that once I get the results of the PET Scan, I will calm down. Once I calm down, my body will start to go.

Of course. Hospice people are angels; they are also fierce advocates for your comfort, at least in my mom and dad's experience. I hope, if it is your time, that your experience is similar.

We're going to miss the hell out of you. But the important thing is to make the best of the time you have left and not suffer.

• Like 5

Dear Lorraine;

I was on a road trip to visit my brother for the last week. I don't do any social media on holiday, but I peeked in here last night when I got home.

Wow. And even though we don't know each other from holes in the ground, you have been in my thoughts.

My mother, similarly stricken, went the whole treatment route, some years ago mind you, and it was an ugly, prolonged journey of suffering.

I so respect and admire your choices about this. I suspect I would choose similarly.

I think it must come down to pain management at this point, love, care and spiritual acceptance. May you not suffer in pain :heart:

Even though I am a newer forum member, I gravitated early on to the "personal posts" of Rush fans more than the "song analysis" fans.

You and others were so honest and personal and there was no bullying, dismissal and such from the rest of the Forums, it was just respect and a matter of taste. I joined soon after!

Be proud! Hold it together (I don't even know how one would...) and as others have said, you should and deserve to feel loved.

Thank you for even the briefest acknowledgements in the past.

Oh, and guess what?! I ordered the ArtOfRush 2nd edition months ago and it arrived yesterday when I returned home.

"Serving A Life Sentence" it is entitled. You have been on my mind and the big beautiful book is going to always remind me of you. No shit. I get sentimental some times. This is some times.

Take care stranger.

Sincerely,

Oliver

Edited by Bahamas
  • Like 10

Of course I will pray for you! :hug2: :hug2: I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm with LABT- I hope you can make the most of your time and be comfortable there. If you are able to and feel up to it, maybe message me an address where you can get mail or the address of someone who could bring stuff to you? I have some great music magazines I can send for reading material. If not, no worries.

We are lucky to have you here now. :hug2:

• Like 7

Of course I will pray for you! :hug2: :hug2: I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm with LABT- I hope you can make the most of your time and be comfortable there. If you are able to and feel up to it, maybe message me an address where you can get mail or the address of someone who could bring stuff to you? I have some great music magazines I can send for reading material. If not, no worries.

We are lucky to have you here now. :hug2:

They are going to take care of me at home. That's the beauty of Hospice - no hospitals and useless operations and endless tests. Just loads of comfort and support in every way. They come to your home any time of the day or night. The supply the meds. If my pain gets too much, they take me to the hospice house in CDA and get the pain leveled, then bring me back home. When the end is near, I can choose to go there and die, which is what I think I will do. It is a beautiful old home and the staff is the tops.

I can choose to go there for a week or two just for a change of atmosphere or for many other reasons, but I can always come back home. Or, I can just choose, when things start to decline, to just go there. But I always have that option - home or Hospice.

I'm going to die the way I always hoped and prayed that I would, which is a great gift and blessing.

• Like 7

Dear Lorraine;

I was on a road trip to visit my brother for the last week. I don't do any social media on holiday, but I peeked in here last night when I got home.

Wow. And even though we don't know each other from holes in the ground, you have been in my thoughts.

My mother, similarly stricken, went the whole treatment route, some years ago mind you, and it was an ugly, prolonged journey of suffering.

I so respect and admire your choices about this. I suspect I would choose similarly.

I think it must come down to pain management at this point, love, care and spiritual acceptance. May you not suffer in pain :heart:

Even though I am a newer forum member, I gravitated early on to the "personal posts" of Rush fans more than the "song analysis" fans.

You and others were so honest and personal and there was no bullying, dismissal and such from the rest of the Forums, it was just respect and a matter of taste. I joined soon after!

Be proud! Hold it together (I don't even know how one would...) and as others have said, you should and deserve to feel loved.

Thank you for even the briefest acknowledgements in the past.

Oh, and guess what?! I ordered the ArtOfRush 2nd edition months ago and it arrived yesterday when I returned home.

"Serving A Life Sentence" it is entitled. You have been on my mind and the big beautiful book is going to always remind me of you. No shit. I get sentimental some times. This is some times.

Take care stranger.

Sincerely,

Oliver

Oliver, thank you for a beautiful and touching post.

• Like 5

Of course. Hospice people are angels; they are also fierce advocates for your comfort, at least in my mom and dad's experience. I hope, if it is your time, that your experience is similar.

We're going to miss the hell out of you. But the important thing is to make the best of the time you have left and not suffer.

You'll be too busy keeping everyone in SOCN in line to miss me. ;)

This is supposed to be one of the top hospices in the country. It is run solely on donation, which is probably why it is so good. No involvement from outside sources threatening to ruin a good thing.

• Like 4

You'll be too busy keeping everyone in SOCN in line to miss me. ;)

This is supposed to be one of the top hospices in the country. It is run solely on donation, which is probably why it is so good. No involvement from outside sources threatening to ruin a good thing.

Nothing but the best for the best!

• Like 6

Lorraine, Oliver just wrote the words I would have liked to say to you. I'm new on this forum but have felt the honesty and warmth of your heart in the countless posts you have sent. You are brave.

I will pray that your days will be full of love, care, peace and joy. I'm very happy to hear that the hospice is a top one, you deserve the best. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Hugs. :heart: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

• Like 9

I am not sure what I am feeling here. Oliver said it so well. One of the best posts on this forum. We are all here for a shared appreciation of a rock band, but it becomes so much more than that. Lorraine you are a name on the internet but I feel so much closer. You are definitely in my thoughts and I am both sad and glad for you.
  • Like 9

Hospice is a wonderful resource, you will be taken care of and cared for as well. I don't know how I would have coped with my Mother's death without their help. I am both sad and glad for you, I hope that you will get more time and that it will be a peaceful process.

Sending all the good vibes to you I can. :heart: :hug2:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 11

SOCN is the hospice home? I looked around the google and there are too many references.

Perhaps donations could be made? Not trying to start a new money drive, but if it was a place known, we could do something each on our own.

Not to get into privacy issues, but if the place was known, we could make personal donations.

That way when a yogurt is being spooned down, down the road, it could be "sponsored by TRF".

"Ahem, Miss?"

"What?"

"More pudding?"

"Enough with the pudding already!"

"Sorry, Miss. But there's a reefer truck out back full of pudding from some RTF...FRT..."

"TRF?"

"Yes, that's it!"

"Fine. If I can't have soup...and then more soup, then okay, more pudding".

Or maybe not. Large print Kindle books?

I just know that voluntary donations have done wonders for hospice organizations everywhere.

• Like 3

SOCN is the hospice home? I looked around the google and there are too many references.

Perhaps donations could be made? Not trying to start a new money drive, but if it was a place known, we could do something each on our own.

Not to get into privacy issues, but if the place was known, we could make personal donations.

That way when a yogurt is being spooned down, down the road, it could be "sponsored by TRF".

"Ahem, Miss?"

"What?"

"More pudding?"

"Enough with the pudding already!"

"Sorry, Miss. But there's a reefer truck out back full of pudding from some RTF...FRT..."

"TRF?"

"Yes, that's it!"

"Fine. If I can't have soup...and then more soup, then okay, more pudding".

Or maybe not. Large print Kindle books?

I just know that voluntary donations have done wonders for hospice organizations everywhere.

SOCN is the political section on TRF. :)

It may be a hospice home to some though. :eh:

That's a very thoughtful idea, Oliver. They told me that each item in this particular hospice has been donated. Even the quilting and sheets for the bed. A lot of wealthy people quietly buy homes and live here to escape the rat-race

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 5

Not a very good day.

Went for the pet scan.

Got really sick this evening.

Glad Hospice is coming tomorrow.

:hug2: I hope you will be more comfortable tomorrow. We are with you.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 7