Colon Cancer

Lorraine

I am sending positive, fresh Lake Superior air waves to keep you strong.

Keep up hope, you have to!!

(As to the appointment stress, I know people who have put the phone down on the counter to Record so they can play back details)

That's a good idea about the phone.

• Like 1

I go in for my scan Monday morning at 8:15. I have to drink two big bottles of some stuff that looks horrendous. When they give you a choice between two flavorings, you know the stuff must be rancid-tasting.

Have to drive out to Coeur d'Alene for the scan. My concern is that I will get sick from the barium.

Edited by Lorraine

Well yah, the barium is icky for sure. If any kind of peppermint, spearmint, whatever is a choice, take that one! Drink it chilled if you can, use a straw and hold your nose. Just make sure you're given enough time to drink it all, usually you are because they have to wait for it to sink down so they can see what's going on.
  • Like 4

Well yah, the barium is icky for sure. If any kind of peppermint, spearmint, whatever is a choice, take that one! Drink it chilled if you can, use a straw and hold your nose. Just make sure you're given enough time to drink it all, usually you are because they have to wait for it to sink down so they can see what's going on.

Just got a choice between vanilla or berry. I first chose vanilla, then she told me she had the test last week and chose berry. I asked her then which one was better, and she said berry was the most popular, so I got berry.

I just hope I don't get sick. I have to drive myself and get on that dastardly freeway again since the imaging place here in town doesn't have the machine to do the test.

She did supply a straw for me, and I already put the two bottles in the fridge.

• Like 4

Just got a choice between vanilla or berry. I first chose vanilla, then she told me she had the test last week and chose berry. I asked her then which one was better, and she said berry was the most popular, so I got berry.

I just hope I don't get sick. I have to drive myself and get on that dastardly freeway again since the imaging place here in town doesn't have the machine to do the test.

How long is your drive to Coeur d'Alene? I think you should be ok on the drive over but I read that if they give you a muscle relaxant before the treatment, you won't be able to drive until it passes through your system. Not trying to second guess them but might double check so you can be aware. I bet they will let you stay in their recovery room until you feel good enough to drive.

I'll pray for you too :hug2:

• Like 1

I go in for my scan Monday morning at 8:15. I have to drink two big bottles of some stuff that looks horrendous. When they give you a choice between two flavorings, you know the stuff must be rancid-tasting.

Have to drive out to Coeur d'Alene for the scan. My concern is that I will get sick from the barium.

Lorraine,

I have been and will continue to lift you up in prayer.

It’s a challenge to stay focused and positive, but you must fight the negative thoughts.

Keep in mind that medicine, modern science and the grace of God is a powerful combination.

Also, be an informed patient, but try not to read too much and self diagnose.

When we read up on WebMD, etc. we tend to focus on the worse case scenarios.

That alone can drive you mad.

Remember, you have your TRF brothers and sisters here in your corner wishing you the very best.

• Like 8

How long is your drive to Coeur d'Alene? I think you should be ok on the drive over but I read that if they give you a muscle relaxant before the treatment, you won't be able to drive until it passes through your system. Not trying to second guess them but might double check so you can be aware. I bet they will let you stay in their recovery room until you feel good enough to drive.

I'll pray for you too :hug2:

If it's just a cat scan and nothing else, they normally don't give you anything ahead of time, because you're fully awake and it's painless. Just like xrays or an MRI.

• Like 3

Please say a prayer - send a positive thought - whatever it is that you do.

I have the appointment tomorrow morning for the scan. Hopefully, I will get the results too.

Prayers and hugs

• Like 2

Please say a prayer - send a positive thought - whatever it is that you do.

I have the appointment tomorrow morning for the scan. Hopefully, I will get the results too.

I will, Lorraine. You're in my prayers and thoughts. I hope everything turns out fine.

• Like 4

The scan showed a large cancerous growth. I have to have an operation.

He said the good news is that the cancer hasn't spread to any other organs.

Are you taking this as good news overall? It certainly seems like it could have been worse...

Continued prayers...

• Like 1

A large growth that hasn`t spread sounds much better than a small one that has. Maybe the size of it would explain other pains and aches and things a bit better for you. I hope you feel okay about this news, L. :hug2:
  • Like 5

Are you taking this as good news overall? It certainly seems like it could have been worse...

Continued prayers...

No. I never expected cancer in any way, shape, or form. No one in my family ever had it.

Cancer is insidious and relentless.

Your continued prayers are appreciated and needed.

• Like 3

A large growth that hasn`t spread sounds much better than a small one that has. Maybe the size of it would explain other pains and aches and things a bit better for you. I hope you feel okay about this news, L. :hug2:

I asked him about that causing the pain and he said the growth is pretty big and there may not be a lot of room for anything to get through and that may be causing the pain.

There's really not much I can do. I hate the phrase "it is what is is" but it is what it is.

I just have to figure out what to do with my husband when I am in the hospital.

• Like 1

Continued prayers...

No. I never expected cancer in any way, shape, or form. No one in my family ever had it.

Cancer is insidious and relentless.

Your continued prayers are appreciated and needed.

I'm sorry you have to go through this... :hug2:

The prayers will continue until you beat it!

• Like 2

I asked him about that causing the pain and he said the growth is pretty big and there may not be a lot of room for anything to get through and that may be causing the pain.

There's really not much I can do. I hate the phrase "it is what is is" but it is what it is.

As a primary carer, I hope there is fast-tracked support you can access before the op. and as you`re recovering. I wish I knew as much about the US system as I do the British one.
  • Like 1

Lorraine, I hope you will get the surgery as soon as possible and all the support you need. Prayers coming your way!

• Like 4

I hope you can get the surgery quickly to help with the pain. Fingers crossed that you will be able to find good help with your husband! Sending prayers for you.
  • Like 5

As a primary carer, I hope there is fast-tracked support you can access before the op. and as you`re recovering. I wish I knew as much about the US system as I do the British one.

I decided to leave my husband home and my friend will come by twice a day to check on him. I will also alert the lady who lives next to us. She can check on him too. I think the doctor said I would have to be in the hospital only two days, but I have to check on that when the scheduler calls.

• Like 4

I hope you can get the surgery quickly to help with the pain. Fingers crossed that you will be able to find good help with your husband! Sending prayers for you.

The scheduler hasn't called so I am guessing she had today off. I was surprised that any of the medical places were open today, but the imagining place had a lot of people waiting for MRIs and scans.