Driven: Rush In The '90s & In The End

zepphead

http://www.martinpopoff.com/images/books/driven-rush-in-the-90-and-in-the-end-full.jpg

I just got the 3rd part of the Martin Popoff Rush trilogy today.

It would really help if I could just get round to finishing the first two books!!

Whilst I am not expecting to glean any new info here, it is a nice set of Rush books to have on the bookshelf!

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 8

Did you go for the faux-leather hardback binding? They do look good, one admits. They are more ornamental than functional, anyway.

Yes, I went for the faux-leather binding, and yes, they are certainly pretty to look at!!
  • Like 3

Did you go for the faux-leather hardback binding? They do look good, one admits. They are more ornamental than functional, anyway.

Yes, I went for the faux-leather binding, and yes, they are certainly pretty to look at!!

Got a few of these on the shelf - Neil Young and Van Halen, Dylan and so on. They are pretty, and I tend to use them for reference photos to paint or draw said musicians. I hadn`t considered actually reading them :cool: Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

Got a few of these on the shelf - Neil Young and Van Halen, Dylan and so on. They are pretty, and I tend to use them for reference photos to paint or draw said musicians. I hadn`t considered actually reading them :cool:

For reference I tend to use Wandering The Face Of The Earth. Now that is a mighty tome!!
  • Like 3

Got a few of these on the shelf - Neil Young and Van Halen, Dylan and so on. They are pretty, and I tend to use them for reference photos to paint or draw said musicians. I hadn`t considered actually reading them :cool:

For reference I tend to use Wandering The Face Of The Earth. Now that is a mighty tome!!

That book is so much fun to just read in bits and pieces! :) The touring stories from the early days really take me back to the 70's and the way things used to be. So glad I got it!

• Like 5

That book is so much fun to just read in bits and pieces! :) The touring stories from the early days really take me back to the 70's and the way things used to be. So glad I got it!

Ditto. Read it cover to cover. Enjoyed it immensely. I'll pull it out again and start at the beginning this coming winter when motorcycling days are few and far between.

• Like 4

Ditto. Read it cover to cover. Enjoyed it immensely. I'll pull it out again and start at the beginning this coming winter when motorcycling days are few and far between.

For me, I love looking up the details of specific gigs when I am checking out bootleg stuff. The detail is quite amazing.
  • Like 4

For me, I love looking up the details of specific gigs when I am checking out bootleg stuff. The detail is quite amazing.

I think so too! They did such a great job that it is sometimes disappointing when I try to look up dates or sources about other bands I saw in the past. Some have good tour archives, but others (looking at you, U2 in the 80s) are very incomplete. That Rush book should be an example for everyone!

• Like 3

I think so too! They did such a great job that it is sometimes disappointing when I try to look up dates or sources about other bands I saw in the past. Some have good tour archives, but others (looking at you, U2 in the 80s) are very incomplete. That Rush book should be an example for everyone!

My only problem with it is that it's such a big book! My bookshelves aren't really designed for a book of those dimensions.

I just keep it on top of my PC printer - handy then to pick up if I am doing Rush related stuff on the PC!

• Like 3

I wanted to buy by purchasing "Rush: Wandering the Face of the Earth - the Official Touring History 1968-2015", but I was waiting to see if it would've been released on paperback, and didn't look like was going to be, so I bought the hardcover. I have received it, but from the wrapping, I haven't opened it, yet. I have purchased, and received "Rush: Song By Song" on paperback, and I think it's a very good one to own. I haven't purchased the imitation leathers, and paperbacks of "Anthem: Rush In the 70's", "Limelight: Rush In the 80's", and "Driven: Rush In the 90's, and In the End", though. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 4

My only problem with it is that it's such a big book! My bookshelves aren't really designed for a book of those dimensions.

I just keep it on top of my PC printer - handy then to pick up if I am doing Rush related stuff on the PC!

I agree! :lol: :lol: "Wandering" and the Geddy Big Book of Bass are both so big! I have to read them at the kitchen table and page through them there because there's no good way to hold them.

• Like 6

Reading this little convo about Wandering The Face Of The Earth has caused me to go back and look up what that book is, realize I've been missing out, and decide next chance I get I'm buying it. Thank you.

• Like 5

Reading this little convo about Wandering The Face Of The Earth has caused me to go back and look up what that book is, realize I've been missing out, and decide next chance I get I'm buying it. Thank you.

Amazon has it for $26.00 right now. Not super cheap, but that's about half price from when it first came out.

• Like 3

I'd forgotten this one, I just added it to my birthday list. :D

• Like 4

I agree! :lol: :lol: "Wandering" and the Geddy Big Book of Bass are both so big! I have to read them at the kitchen table and page through them there because there's no good way to hold them.

Is the Big Book Of Bass worth getting?? I was considering it.
  • Like 2

You will not be disappointed!
  • Like 2

I'd forgotten this one, I just added it to my birthday list. :D

A great choice!
  • Like 1

I enjoyed reading about Ben Mink's memories of working with Geddy Lee.

In particular the story about Geddy being a first time session musician for Canadian folk singer-​songwriter Marie-Lynn Hammond that Ben was producing. This was for her 1983 album Vignettes.

Here's the songs Geddy plays bass on from Vignettes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y9reesAEu0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3LwMc_AumY

The story in the book from Ben about Geddy not knowing a B flat note on the bass during sessions for Vignettes is hilarious. An individual like him who has written all this great music with Alex has done this on intuition, memory, attention to detail, and with his ear.

To quote Ben "they’ve created their own musical way of communicating through complicated riffs."

I showed the book passage to Marie-Lynn and she replied with some memories that I can share.

"Regarding Geddy never being a session musician etc, yes that's true. And the story behind him playing on my album may never have been fully documented, but Ben was of course producing Vignettes, and one day he said, "Hey, I was thinking we could ask Geddy to play bass on a couple of tracks." I said, "Wow, cool, but I'm sure I can't afford him." Ben said that Geddy didn't need the $ but that he figured Geddy would like to do a gig as a regular session guy for once, and not just be "the Rush guy," who can only play Rush songs , and so if I offered him musician's union scale (the minimum the union sets for a particular gig), so that it really would feel like a session gig and not a mere favour he was doing, that he figured Geddy would go for it. And, Ben added, maybe throw in a bottle of really good single malt Scotch, which Geddy loved back then and maybe still does. So of course I agreed and that was the deal. I wrote Geddy a cheque for something like $125 (cannot recall exact amount now) and asked friends' advice re the Scotch since I know nothing about Scotch and the deal was done!"

I forwarded the above to author Martin Popoff, which he appreciated.

On a side note, I've met Marie-Lynn in person when Stringband (the 70's Canadian folk group) did a short farewell tour in 2018 when co-founder Bob Bossin decided to retire. Stringband performed in Vancouver back in February 2018, which was great.

Ben Mink was one of the members of Stringband, in which all three performed on that farewell tour. Photos of one of the concerts here.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 5

You won't regret it.

• Like 1

Wandering the Face of the Earth is fantastic! I kept concert reviews of every concert I went to, in scrapbooks. It is great to be able to go back to a show you attended and read about it in the book. I love the snippets of early reviews. The critics for the most part hated Rush. So funny after all of these years how most people came around and now respect the band's legacy.
  • Like 3

Wandering the Face of the Earth is fantastic! I kept concert reviews of every concert I went to, in scrapbooks. It is great to be able to go back to a show you attended and read about it in the book. I love the snippets of early reviews. The critics for the most part hated Rush. So funny after all of these years how most people came around and now respect the band's legacy.

I'm not sure how old you are Syrinx but an old codger like me remembers what the music press were like in the UK in the late '70s ...... boy they hated Rush with a passion.
  • Like 2

<p>

Is the Big Book Of Bass worth getting?? I was considering it.

It is a gorgeous and interesting book, but kind of a reference book for me. It weighs 7 pounds! :lol: If you have an interest at all in bass guitars or like instrument history I would say it is worth it , especially as the cost is down to $65.00 on Amazon and $60.00 at the Rush Backstage club. The photos are beautiful. The parts I liked best , though, were these-

"The book also features interviews with John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin); Adam Clayton (U2); Robert Trujillo (Metallica); Jeff Tweedy (Wilco); Bill Wyman (The Rolling Stones); Les Claypool (Primus); Bob Daisley (Rainbow); Fender expert and owner of the legendary Gibson Explorer, Bass Ken Collins; veteran guitar tech for The Who, Alan Rogan; plus comments from many other great players across three decades of rock and roll."

​I liked the parts best where artists talked about how they came to the bass or to rock music. I do wish it were a bit smaller though! It is too hard to read it laying on the couch, I really do have to read it on the kitchen table! :lol:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 4

Totally agree, Blueschica. I just finished this book, reading maybe 20 pages a night, and dreading the end, partly because I know full well how the story ends of course, but partly because I looked forward to my 20 pages before bed. Just bought the first two volumes. I haven't been overly impressed with Popoff's other Rush works, but this was good.
  • Like 4