Star Trek

KenJennings

You know..... I almost hate to admit it... the last couple of episodes of DIS were actually pretty good. Feelings and all.

Picard S2 is killing it. They are taking cues from the Rebels/Mandalorian playbook...finally.

After the finale of Disco, which I thought ham-fisted and overlong, I am hopeful that it will finally be what I really want.

I said that after season 2 and was wrong, so there's that.

And I still really like the show. But I sure wish they would just explore.

Picard this season is fantastic. After a terrible first season that failed to reflect any Trek truth. In fact, a certain historic character has returned almost as an audience stand in. That person is thoroughly "disappointed in what Picard has become". We were disappointed, to. So things occur to force Picard to change his/it's ways.

Clever. And it has worked, and it has let the show find a way out of the mess it made

Okay-okay gents, I get it. Picard season 2 is must see tee-vee.

I can see someone still not being down with Picard, but it's so much better than last year.

But your point about Strange New Worlds is echoed soundly here. I have very high hopes for that one!

I am very concerned about Strange New Worlds. We don't need to be doing these characters and this setting again. As much as I like Anson Mount as an actor, I wish they had introduced him as an original character instead of anchoring him to an existing legacy.

Leonard Nimoy is dead. William Shatner has concluded Kirk's story. I wish they'd let Kirk and Spock and that whole era rest. Do something new and original... and do it without stopping to examine emotions and cry every two minutes.

Edited by KenJennings

I have always preferred that Trek looks ever forward. When you go forward you don't have to worry much about canon, and therefore you can introduce any new tech or idea.

The reason I look forward to Strange New Worlds is my hope for exploring and new stories each week. They've hinted that they might do this.

But it would be far better still if they just moved forward. I fully agree.

Although I have zero issue with the emotional focus of the show. Picard cried several times, Sisko cried a few times. I've never been bothered by that part of Discovery.

I just haven't thought much of continually putting the brakes on exploration with a new big threat each year.

Although I have zero issue with the emotional focus of the show. Picard cried several times, Sisko cried a few times. I've never been bothered by that part of Discovery.

I just haven't thought much of continually putting the brakes on exploration with a new big threat each year.

To be clear, I don't have a problem with emotional focus. What I dislike about Discovery is the frequency of it. The writers try so hard to create emotional resonance that they neglect the rest of the story; and end up producing a fairly hollow, groan inducing end product.

If everything is trauma, nothing is trauma. Seeing a character like Jean Luc Picard cry has an impact specifically because you know the character is emotionally disciplined and rock solid. It's a bit like seeing your dad cry.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

To be clear, I don't have a problem with emotional focus. What I dislike about Discovery is the frequency of it. The writers try so hard to create emotional resonance that they neglect the rest of the story; and end up producing a fairly hollow, groan inducing end product.

If everything is trauma, nothing is trauma. Seeing a character like Jean Luc Picard cry has an impact specifically because you know the character is emotionally disciplined and rock solid. It's a bit like seeing your dad cry.

Well, I will definitely agree that Discovery tends to over milk the emotional journey. That was the worst part of the season 4 finale n my opinion. So they definitely dwell over long.

It sounds like this third season of Picard is gearing up to be a proper final sendoff to the TNG crew, and I couldn't be happier. I'm very excited for this.

There are also grumblings about what will happen after Picard ends. A lot of chatter has them running a new show following Captain Rios and the crew of the new Stargazer. THAT is the new forward facing Trek that I badly want. A new crew and a new ship on new missions. Not something in an era that's already been done too many times.

Edited by KenJennings

I'll never understand going backward, because if they give a Damn at all it ties their hands too much.

That said, if Strange New World focuses on exploration rather than The Big Menace I'll be very pleased anyway.

• Like 1

It sounds like this third season of Picard is gearing up to be a proper final sendoff to the TNG crew, and I couldn't be happier. I'm very excited for this.

There are also grumblings about what will happen after Picard ends. A lot of chatter has them running a new show following Captain Rios and the crew of the new Stargazer. THAT is the new forward facing Trek that I badly want. A new crew and a new ship on new missions. Not something in an era that's already been done too many times.

All Good Things?

All Good Things?

Too bad Nemesis ruined that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KenJennings said:

Picard Season 2 sticks the landing... A few small complaints, but resolves quickly and serves as a fantastic epilogue to the season. Can't wait for season 3 now.

I'm not getting the love for Picard. I will watch season three because...

Strange New Worlds is off to a promising start.