Star Trek

KenJennings

10 hours ago, KenJennings said:

Hearing Vadic's backstory was definitely compelling...

She/It kind of has a point. 

Final few episodes coming up.  Shit's gonna' get real.  

Everyone's back all at one conference table!

I'm surprised to see Vadek and the Shrike dealt with so quickly; but I'm not entirely sure she won't find a way to resurface... It's clear the big bad is going to be whatever is behind the red door, and I'm excited to see what it is.

I think it's going to be Armus, the black tar blob that killed Tasha Yar. It's an immensely powerful entity, it showed the ability to pull others' strings like puppets, it has a vendetta against Picard and the Enterprise crew, and it was left abandoned and forgotten last we saw.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 3:20 PM, KenJennings said:

Everyone's back all at one conference table!

I'm surprised to see Vadek and the Shrike dealt with so quickly; but I'm not entirely sure she won't find a way to resurface... It's clear the big bad is going to be whatever is behind the red door, and I'm excited to see what it is.

I think it's going to be Armus, the black tar blob that killed Tasha Yar. It's an immensely powerful entity, it showed the ability to pull others' strings like puppets, it has a vendetta against Picard and the Enterprise crew, and it was left abandoned and forgotten last we saw.

On 4/6/2023 at 4:36 PM, grep said:

I'm on team Pai-Wraith.

I feel like I need to turn-in my Star Fleet communicator badge, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I've seen the episode that Tasha Yar died in, just don't remember it.

I still don't know what is up with Jack, intrigued I am.

The Pah-Wraits were non-corporeal aliens from Deep Space Nine. They were the 'evil counterpart' to the Bajoran Prophets that lived in the Wormhole. Armus was this thing.

But since I last posted, I have been spoiled by some confirmed leaks about the final two episodes of Picard. And now I know roughly what's coming:

It's the Borg.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KenJennings said:

The Pah-Wraits were non-corporeal aliens from Deep Space Nine. They were the 'evil counterpart' to the Bajoran Prophets that lived in the Wormhole. Armus was this thing.

But since I last posted, I have been spoiled by some confirmed leaks about the final two episodes of Picard. And now I know roughly what's coming:

Reveal hidden contents

It's the Borg.

Ah yes, I remember now, thanks. Also, I appreciate you using the spoiler function. 

:7up:   For the fan service and nostalgia.

:blink:    For the plot developments.

:zzz:  Knowing that it will be wrapped up, somehow, next week.

Edited by grep

I actually got a little misty eyed twice. The first time was when Data silently put his hand on Picard's shoulder to comfort him. Really a beautiful moment. The second was hearing Majel's voice again.The attention to detail in this season has just been incredible.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, KenJennings said:

I actually got a little misty eyed twice. The first time was when Data silently put his hand on Picard's shoulder to comfort him. Really a beautiful moment. The second was hearing Majel's voice again.The attention to detail in this season has just been incredible.

I too got misty.

Shaw and the D.

• Like 1

This season is everything Picard should have been. It's been explicitly about fan service and therefore not only gets a pass for runaway nostalgia, it is commended for it each time.

Spoiler

Are we really losing Shaw? I don't think TPTB had any idea how much people would like a character who was intended as a road block. The actor has sold me on the spin off that I guess will never happen.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

I too got misty.

Hide contents

Shaw and the D.

About that... Quoting showrunner Terry Matalas. Potential (totally unconfirmed) spoilers going forward...

I love that people have loved him because the journey has been from hate to love with him, you know? So, that has been gratifying. I will say that we're not done with Shaw yet, in some ways, [and] that Todd Stashwick appears in all 10 episodes this season. But he is dead."

I will say this, because I have to say this, there is currently no Star Trek: Legacy in development at Paramount+. But from the very beginning of this season, there has always been a plan for this character to be part of the spin-off, and it is absolutely amazing how. And should we be so lucky to ever have a discussion, it would be very cool, and Todd Stashwick would absolutely be a part of it.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

What a beautiful sendoff to the TNG crew. The finale was well earned, to the point, and left plenty of breathing room for epilogue.

I can't wait to see more from Terry Matalas, and Paramount would be foolish not to see him as the future of the franchise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenJennings said:

PSA: If you haven't watched the finale yet, make sure you stick around after the credits.

59 minutes ago, KenJennings said:

What a beautiful sendoff to the TNG crew. The finale was well earned, to the point, and left plenty of breathing room for epilogue.

I can't wait to see more from Terry Matalas, and Paramount would be foolish not to see him as the future of the franchise.

I'm gonna pop an edible tonight and rewatch episode 9 then go into 10. My expectations are high, this season has been 5 stars so far.

I think it's pretty clear with Strange New Worlds and Picard 3 that the secret formula to well received Star Trek has been found.

That mysterious, oh so difficult to find, secret formula?

Follow the very simple rules. 
 1: Always hopeful
 2: Starfleet works together and trusts each other.
 3: If the fan base loves it (i.e. Klingons) don't put your very special new spin on it. You want to test your new ideas, make a new species. 

It's not that hard.

I enjoyed Discovery and think it was a very good show, but I also recognize that it failed on all three of those points the first couple of seasons. It fixed those problems, but unfortunately the writing became clunkier as they solved those issues. And I much prefer new stories each week than one big story. DS9's formula was best, Strange New Worlds gets that. Picard initially failed on two of those three points I dropped above, and it fixed them while keeping the writing strong. It was pure fan service, but that was fine since that was the whole point. 

I think the fan base has successfully helped TPTB in righting the Star Trek course. 

Dare I be hopeful? I think we are about to enter a new great era of Trek. 

• Like 3

I had Mandalorian season 3 and Picard season 4 to stream this year. Picard was must see TV. While Mando felt like doing completest duty. I might have made some more subtle fan service choices but that is about raging as my criticism gets. This season was near perfection and a complete washing away of the Nemesis problem. It worked as a season eight, binge a few episodes they work as feature films. Hell, they even nearly turned up the lights on the Enterprise D bridge! The final scene was perfect. 

Spoiler

You don't drag Q out to do nothing, right?

Bring on Strange New Worlds!

ATM I zero interest in the announced Section 31 film, for Paramount+ I assume and not a theatrical release?

2 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

I had Mandalorian season 3 and Picard season 4 to stream this year. Picard was must see TV. While Mando felt like doing completest duty. I might have made some more subtle fan service choices but that is about raging as my criticism gets. This season was near perfection and a complete washing away of the Nemesis problem. It worked as a season eight, binge a few episodes they work as feature films. Hell, they even nearly turned up the lights on the Enterprise D bridge! The final scene was perfect. 

Hide contents

You don't drag Q out to do nothing, right?

Bring on Strange New Worlds!

ATM I zero interest in the announced Section 31 film, for Paramount+ I assume and not a theatrical release?

I could imagine the Section 31 show going either way. It depends on where/when they set it, who is involved, and what the plotline entails. Michelle Yeoh is clearly a rockstar actress, and her redemption arc was one of the highlights of Discovery season 3. So if they move her on, set her in a radically different part of the timeline, and give her some connection to legacy Trek; I'm on board.

Here's an idea, we just saw the body of James T Kirk in the custody of Section 31 with the subtext of "project phoenix" in the manifest... What better way to lend credibility to Georgiou than to put her side by side with the real, o.g. Captain Kirk?

• Like 2

On 4/22/2023 at 1:45 PM, KenJennings said:

I could imagine the Section 31 show going either way. It depends on where/when they set it, who is involved, and what the plotline entails. Michelle Yeoh is clearly a rockstar actress, and her redemption arc was one of the highlights of Discovery season 3. So if they move her on, set her in a radically different part of the timeline, and give her some connection to legacy Trek; I'm on board.

Here's an idea, we just saw the body of James T Kirk in the custody of Section 31 with the subtext of "project phoenix" in the manifest... What better way to lend credibility to Georgiou than to put her side by side with the real, o.g. Captain Kirk?

Michelle Yeoh is at the top of her game. DISCO had some great actors as well. I'll keep an open mind but I'm not foaming at the mouth for this like I am for more SNW and the Legacy campaign.

That moment...

May be an image of 4 people

Edited by JohnRogers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

April 29th, 1770 – James Cook arrives at southeastern Australia, at an open oceanic embayment that he names Botany Bay.  

The FOOL!  If only he could have seen the future events that he had just set into motion.  :wacko:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

Strange New Worlds season 2 trailer teases Lower Deck crossover

This..is going to be such a trip.   Frakes directed it... it has to be good.

• Like 1

In preparation for season two I fooled my wife into watching season one of SNW. It holds up well to second viewing, this time without edibles. 

• Like 1