Star Trek

KenJennings

On 3/2/2023 at 10:45 PM, KenJennings said:

So Picard Season 3... This is what we've been waiting for.

I had some issues after having seen the first two episodes. Not enough to stop watching like halfway through DISCO's last season. Episode three fixed some of that with Beverly and Jean Luc having the talk. Still a little too much clumsy fan service. 

Am I the only one who really digs Captain Shaw?

On 3/4/2023 at 11:19 AM, JohnRogers said:

I had some issues after having seen the first two episodes. Not enough to stop watching like halfway through DISCO's last season. Episode three fixed some of that with Beverly and Jean Luc having the talk. Still a little too much clumsy fan service. 

Am I the only one who really digs Captain Shaw?

I don't mind the fan service, since the whole point appears to be giving the gang one last hurrah. For Picard I'm allowing a bit of forced trips down memory lane because it feels like that's the point. 

But I'd have preferred it not be so overt.

As to Captain Shaw, my wife and I both love the character. He's arrogant, sure. But at least through two episodes he's been making the right calls. Not the calls our heroes may want, but he's putting the safety of his ship and his orders ahead of some old admiral's whims. From his perspective, he's been on point. 

Haven't watched the third episode yet, I hope he isn't thrown under the bus with some heel turn. He's actually an ally waiting to happen, he just rightfully needs evidence. 

29 minutes ago, Mosher said:

I don't mind the fan service, since the whole point appears to be giving the gang one last hurrah. For Picard I'm allowing a bit of forced trips down memory lane because it feels like that's the point. 

But I'd have preferred it not be so overt.

As to Captain Shaw, my wife and I both love the character. He's arrogant, sure. But at least through two episodes he's been making the right calls. Not the calls our heroes may want, but he's putting the safety of his ship and his orders ahead of some old admiral's whims. From his perspective, he's been on point. 

Haven't watched the third episode yet, I hope he isn't thrown under the bus with some heel turn. He's actually an ally waiting to happen, he just rightfully needs evidence. 

In episode two I was crushed when Shaw basically said,

Spoiler

oh well, it's Jean-Luc's son that changes everything!

In episode three, I won't give it away, Shaw earns his cred again.

Maybe the show just needed an extra fan service editor.

Worf makes Raffi interesting.

I really don't understand why some folks see fan service as a negative. 

These stories would be less interesting IMO without those ties to past events and the characters behind them? 

Like Klingons and Romulans in TNG - were they 'fan service'?  What would Trek be without them coming back?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grep said:

These stories would be less interesting IMO without those ties to past events and the characters behind them? 

Like Klingons and Romulans in TNG - were they 'fan service'?  What would Trek be without them coming back?

Completely agreed. The biggest advantage of working in the Star Trek sandbox is the ability to play with 60 years worth of toys, and not have to build every backstory up from the ground.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, grep said:

13 hours ago, KenJennings said:

Completely agreed. The biggest advantage of working in the Star Trek sandbox is the ability to play with 60 years worth of toys, and not have to build every backstory up from the ground.

I'm not anti-fan service, it's all about how it is handled. I love Lower Decks which 69% fan service. I really liked Star Wars: The Force Awakens, chock full of fan service. Some of the Picard stuff comes off cheesy. That DS9 episode in TOS timeline, brilliant fan service.

• Like 1

I can't imagine defining having Klingons appear in TNG as being fan service- does anyone use the term that broadly? 

To me fan service, as a criticism, means improbable coincidences of memorable information being run into over and over again.

Coincidences happen, so running into Geordie's daughter is fine.

But when you have repeated unlikely appearances happening over and over again, that is when fan service should be applied as a negative.

Lower Decks whole point is fan service, so not a negative.

Picard looking to his trusted friends makes sense, so not a negative. 

It's how often the show triggers a memory, and how that is handled. That combination leads to fan service as a criticism. 

Picard hasn't abused this yet in my opinion. It's just been a bit clunky at times.

• Like 1

Last week was a 9/10. This week was a perfect 10. Absolutely amazing episode, one of the best episodes of Star Trek in all canon.

I had only the tiniest of gripes about one detail in the whole episode, and even that was something they at least attempted to hand wave- and their attention to detail earns points even when it's a little bit weak. The effort is more than they've shown in a long time.

But this episode had everything. The right amount of fan service, a perfect fast pace that allowed for contemplation and nuance, stellar character development, action sequences that satisfied as a dessert course, and plot development that moved things along and kept me hungry for more.

This is everything I wanted from Star Trek since CBS announced its return to TV in 2015. I'm praying this season leads to a Titan spinoff.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

It's funny how I already feel like I know more about the Titan's bridge crew than I ever got from Discovery's.

I'll take Sidney, Esmar, T'veen, and Mura over Discovery's "and the rest" any day.

Edited by KenJennings

Picard 3 is phenomenal.

Brought back the surprise guest from the past to great effect.

And yes, I want a Captain Shaw b spin-off. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 10:56 AM, KenJennings said:

Another fantastic episode.

Sweet, sweet closure for one of the biggest loose ends in TNG.

16 hours ago, Mosher said:

Picard 3 is phenomenal.

Brought back the surprise guest from the past to great effect.

And yes, I want a Captain Shaw b spin-off. 

I popped some edibles and re-watched episodes 1 through 3 again with episode 4 as a film.  My minor fan service criticisms aside this was an epic experience that washed the stink of Nemesis away.

Episode 5 is setting up a great second half of the season.

Spoiler

Seeing Ro Laren got me wondering was there an episode of TNG that I missed and need to watch. I wasn't aware of such a deep connection or betrayal. Should I revisit a particular episode?

31 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

I popped some edibles and re-watched episodes 1 through 3 again with episode 4 as a film.  My minor fan service criticisms aside this was an epic experience that washed the stink of Nemesis away.

Episode 5 is setting up a great second half of the season.

Hide contents

Seeing Ro Laren got me wondering was there an episode of TNG that I missed and need to watch. I wasn't aware of such a deep connection or betrayal. Should I revisit a particular episode?

The episode is called "Preemptive strike." It was the second to last episode of the series.

24 minutes ago, KenJennings said:

The episode is called "Preemptive strike." It was the second to last episode of the series.

In 2017, Business Insider listed "Preemptive Strike" as one of the most underrated episodes of the Star Trek franchise at that time.

Seeing that All Good Things was next I must have seen this and don't remember it. I watched ST:TNG from season 3 through 7, some episodes like Yesterday's Enterprise got multiple viewings.

On 3/18/2023 at 12:24 PM, KenJennings said:

Now that I've revisited Preemptive Strike. I'm going to pick up there and watch several episodes of the old shit (TNG, DS9, VOY) by star date.

Fan service.  So much fan service!!!!! 

It's like being in the henhouse - they're not easter eggs, they're the point!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I loved seeing the original TOS constitution design, as well as the refit Enterprise A in their original glory. Affirming that Discovery/SNW did not fully retcon those iconic designs. That has been one of the bitterest pills from nu Trek to swallow, so for them to quietly reassert those designs as canon meant a lot.

This series has been billed as a love letter to the "TNG era", and it hasn't fallen short. The big reveal at the end of today's episode (what was stolen from Daystrom) has me a touch nervous; but I'm still very excited and optimistic to see where this goes. If the last four episodes are half as good as what they've done, we're in for a treat.

• Like 1

For all these years I have wondered from time to time what would happen if Enemy A were to encounter Enemy B. 

I think we're going to see that , turned on it's side.  I'm all in. 

4 hours ago, KenJennings said:

I loved seeing the original TOS constitution design, as well as the refit Enterprise A in their original glory. Affirming that Discovery/SNW did not fully retcon those iconic designs. That has been one of the bitterest pills from nu Trek to swallow, so for them to quietly reassert those designs as canon meant a lot.

This series has been billed as a love letter to the "TNG era", and it hasn't fallen short. The big reveal at the end of today's episode (what was stolen from Daystrom) has me a touch nervous; but I'm still very excited and optimistic to see where this goes. If the last four episodes are half as good as what they've done, we're in for a treat.

6 minutes ago, grep said:

For all these years I have wondered from time to time what would happen if Enemy A were to encounter Enemy B. 

I think we're going to see that , turned on it's side.  I'm all in. 

Popped an edible about an hour ago, put out the trash. Let me go see what all this hoopla is aboot.

• Like 1

That was good shit.

Picard season 3 and Strange New Worlds is almost making up for Nemesis, Picard season 1 & 2 and DISCO. 

• Like 1