Star Trek

KenJennings

I still need to catch up on the Orville, but while I love SNW I agree it suffered from the short season format. 

Just when I was feeling "finally, they're using that character I find so interesting!" I almost instantly move to, "oh...well that sucks."

Tragedy grounds a show, and Trek can always use a bit of a consequences check. I'm for that. But please evolve the stories and characters first. That needs time.

Hopefully now that it has become the smash it should be, perhaps they budget will increase and the number of episodes will increase. One can hope.

SNW nailed their finale. My biggest gripe is that they didn't get James Frain to play the Romulan commander. That would've been quite a few layers of perfect fan service. I also didn't really get the "Kirk" vibes I hoped for from Paul Wesley: I thought he could do a bit more to capture the Shatnerisms, lay a few more slices of ham down, and really chew up the scenery. All in all, the episode bordered on a Trek masterpiece though.

The Orville had its Tuvix moment tonight. All of the pieces of a great episode with a moral challenge; but then the Captain goes and turns into a monster in the 11th hour. I walked away feeling a bit sick, and truly disliking Ed and Kelly. I get what they were going for, but it was a bad look for those characters; and a really unsatisfying, really unforgiving end to a compelling story.

Edited by KenJennings

On 7/7/2022 at 10:59 PM, KenJennings said:

SNW nailed their finale. My biggest gripe is that they didn't get James Frain to play the Romulan commander. That would've been quite a few layers of perfect fan service. I also didn't really get the "Kirk" vibes I hoped for from Paul Wesley: I thought he could do a bit more to capture the Shatnerisms, lay a few more slices of ham down, and really chew up the scenery. All in all, the episode bordered on a Trek masterpiece though.

The Orville had its Tuvix moment tonight. All of the pieces of a great episode with a moral challenge; but then the Captain goes and turns into a monster in the 11th hour. I walked away feeling a bit sick, and truly disliking Ed and Kelly. I get what they were going for, but it was a bad look for those characters; and a really unsatisfying, really unforgiving end to a compelling story.

True dat.

May be an illustration of indoor

My 2 pennyworth re: Discovery and Strange New Worlds for what it's worth....

Both good but I think Sonequa Martin-Green's acting is a bit one-dimensional at times. Delivers the lines almost in the same way for every scene. Liked how the season 4 plot panned out - a bit Arrival-esque.

Loved Strange New Worlds. I also wish the Kirk actor could have been a bit more Shatner in tone too but the mirror 'Balance of Terror' episode was good fun. 

I find it funny how the Gorn are now represented as an 'Alien'-mesomorph nightmare type baddy contrasting with the 'man in a suit' representation in the original series which Shatner had a bit of a fist-fight with. I always thought species 8472 from Voyager was going to be the ultimate lizard-type alien-thingy but they're presenting the Gorn now as a formidable foe. Obviously the Federation gets much stronger by the time it meets the Borg and 8472 etc so maybe the Gorn are trivial at that point in time.

Apparently SNW is going to cross over with Lower Decks.  The episode will feature both animation and live action.

That's going to be fun.

5 hours ago, grep said:

Apparently SNW is going to cross over with Lower Decks.  The episode will feature both animation and live action.

That's going to be fun.

Awwww Yeah!

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds season 2 will feature crossover with Lower  Decks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

May be an image of 8 people and people standing

Rand is gone too.  Grace Lee Whitney.

Edited by grep

37 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

Lower Decks' episode A Mathematically Perfect Redemption was unwatchable. Maybe it was the edibles but I doubt it.

That one was rough.  I guess they are trying to do 1970's TAS cheese with a modern flair?  I dunno....  I mean it wasn't so bad until the sex scene.  But yeah. That sucked.

12 hours ago, JohnRogers said:

Lower Decks' episode A Mathematically Perfect Redemption was unwatchable. Maybe it was the edibles but I doubt it.

The reactions to that one have been super divisive, but I actually really got a kick out of it.

It kind of felt like a shaggy dog joke, where they take you on this ridiculous journey just to drop a weak punchline on you. I love humor like that. Peanut Hamper's whole arc was a colossal waste of time, and the about face at the end was the best "f**k you" punchline to cap it off. Loved it.

I'm glad they only do these concept episodes once a year, but I'm glad they do them.

Edited by KenJennings

I finally caught the last episode of Lower Decks. Unfortunately in our polarized society, USA anyway, the whole Texas/Aledo thing vs. California Class ruined my ability to enjoy most of the episode.

• Like 1

Haven't seen any of the newer stuff yall are talking about, though I'm a huge OS and TNG fan. None of the trailers I've seen make me want to watch. I think I'm still a bit jumpy from Voyager being so bad. And DS1. Picard looked so politically motivated I just couldn't.

Talk me into it. 

11 hours ago, Weakly Criminal said:

Haven't seen any of the newer stuff yall are talking about, though I'm a huge OS and TNG fan. None of the trailers I've seen make me want to watch. I think I'm still a bit jumpy from Voyager being so bad. And DS1. Picard looked so politically motivated I just couldn't.

Talk me into it. 

First, get on board with Strange New Worlds it is TOS with the sophistication and production values of TNG. SNW does Trek progressivism without being insufferable woke. Also do Lower Decks if you enjoy animated comedy, it seems crafted for TOS, TNG, DS9 fans. It might take two episodes until you love it. The rest is mostly different degrees of garbage. 

• Like 2

When Jack punched that dude, I jumped out of my chair. Holy crap - I was not expecting that twist.  We are in full DS9 and VOY sequel mode.  

And I think we got a preview of a twist too.  The place the Titan is....  The lighting effects kind of give it away. I think.

I tolerated Picard 1 and 2.... but I'm all in here.  Yowza.

Edited by grep

1 hour ago, grep said:

And I think we got a preview of a twist too.  The place the Titan is....  The lighting effects kind of give it away. I think.

Curious what you mean here. I have a few ideas; but nothing solid.

i think you can do spoiler tags like this if you don't want to ruin it.

[spoiler] text [/spoiler]

Yep it works!

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

Prophets and Pai-Wraiths. I think they have a new home. The lighting in the nebulae, plus that one trippy sequence with Seven looked very Prophety.

Next question, if I'm right, is... does The Sisco come back?

Edited by grep