Star Trek

KenJennings

41 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

I'm not getting the love for Picard. I will watch season three because...

Strange New Worlds is off to a promising start.

I was pretty 'meh' on SNW. The plot was kind of uninspired and the characters were basically shells of what came before them. I didn't feel moved or motivated by these people in the slightest, and they're trying to shoe horn in canon references without any logical tie in. I like Anson Mount as Pike, but that's about it; I'm more pessimistic about SNW than anything at this point.

I don't understand why people are so critical of Picard. I can see that it has pacing issues; but that's present in all nuTrek. The show has a ton of heart, it's done a great job drawing on and expanding existing canon without simply retelling it for new Audiences, and it makes it's arguments with some semblance of finesse. The plot sometimes lacks exposition, which is vastly preferable over constantly retelling and explaining, and its shortcomings give me the greatest gift a Trek show can give- the chance to craft headcanon to explain away the rough edges.

In a way, Picard reminds me a bit of Doctor Who. Plot and pacing are always marching to their own beat, but it's less about the nuance and completion of plot details, than about the handling of the characters, emotions and ideas throughout the fantastical, hand-wavey craziness.

I absolutely loved season two. And I can't wait for the third.

Edited by KenJennings

I liked the Picard ending. After a bad first season we get a second season that starts off excellently, has a few missteps near the end, but ends well.

With the exception of the Traveler. I hated Wesley becoming a Traveler in the first place, so this was unwelcome. Glad Wil Wheaton recieved some respect, though. He deserved the screentime. It wasn't well written, though.

Brent Spiner was great as always as was DeLancie.

Strange New Worlds is delivering exactly what I want, save for it being a prequel. The episode itself was a bit ham-fisted, but the tone was correct and the nature of the show is correct. Too much fan service, but that's a minor issue. I'm expecting the show to improve a lot as the cast jells and the expositional introductions are over. I look forward to a Star Trek that's actually about exploration.

Edited by Mosher
Auto correct error
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Mosher said:

Strange New Worlds is delivering exactly what I want, save for it being a prequel. The episode itself was a bit ham-fisted, but the tone was correct and the nature of the show is correct. Too much fan service, but that's a minor issue. I'm expecting the show to improve a lot as the cast jells and the expositional introductions are over. I look forward to a Star Trek that's actually about exploration.

Yes, yes, yes.

I'm just glad I’ll never have to sit through Jean-Luc running around the catacombs of Château Picard ever again. 

Second episode of SNW seems like it's trying really hard to be the Orville. I guess they recognize a successful formula because it wasn't bad.

Pike is Mercer. Number one is Kelly. Spock is Bortus. They even have a wisecracking pilot and a tough fish-out-of-water security chief. They're trying to tap into the awkward humor, and sense of serialized camaraderie; while presenting episodic stories. Even the art style, that shepherd ship looked just like a Kaylon ship.

Still more looking forward to the Orville, but this weeks SNW was good.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

6g0me9.jpg

Some of the best Star Trek ever...maybe it was the weed I smoked.

...that episode of HALO was pretty cool too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ReRushed said:

Discovery sucks. Picard sucks. Strange New Worlds... well, the first episode didn't suck. 

Episode 2 takes SNW up a couple of notches.

• Like 1

SNW is exactly what I've asked for, Save for my preference to look forward always. Backwards always gets messed up with canon and that's so easily avoided.

The fan service isn't necessary but I understand their worry over bringing people in. And it works well enough (referring to the presence of iconic characters)

I actually general really like Discovery on the whole, and season 2 of Picard was much better than its bad first season and while it slipped it ended very well 

But Strange New Worlds is great out the gate and better than both.

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 2

SNW is the shit.   It's almost perfect.

I disagree with all the space and lighting of the interior 1701 sets.... It seems hat the designers are subtly trying to legitimise the JJverse Apple Store look.  But besides that one small point.... the show hits it on all cylinders.

This is coming from Grep.. who's first memories of TV are TOS first run when I was a baby. 

I'll say it again. SNW is the shit.  Trek at almost the same level as Star Wars TV.

f***ing bring it Paramount.... you're finally getting it.

• Like 1

Nothing to add, other than my insistent echo that this Trek really is exactly what Trek fans, no matter how they rank the other incarnations, likely have been wanting.

The premier of The Orville was extremely cinematic, and visually stunning. But I felt like it was a 45 minute episode extended to 60 minutes. I understand that they were trying to milk the glamour shots and show off the new VFX, but it felt a little slow at times.

That being said, the content and theme of the episode was heavy and meaningful. It was a little upsetting to see so many of the Orville's crew acting as they did; but I can't wait to see their transformation and re-enlightenment. It's apparent the Orville is leaning hard into the moral parable side of its identity, and away from the more comedic elements. I just hope they don't abandon those comedy elements completely.

7/10 on the premier. Looking forward to more.

Haven't watched this years Orville premier yet, but the comedic part was by far the weak point of the Orville. 

I know Seth has been a massive Trek fan and wanted to participate in the creation of serious Trek, and I truly believe the Orville's strength is in the Trek ethos it holds, which is superbly delivered. 

If it leans ever further from comedy, then it will only improve.

(I don't hate the comedy, but it has always felt like the show crafted the story far more carefully than the jokes.)

13 hours ago, KenJennings said:

And in a week where the Orville leans away from its comedic side, Strange New Worlds embraces theirs fully with a really good change of pace episode. And that tunic!

Thursdays are good TV.

I knew they were going for a Trouble With Tribbles light-hearted vibe in this episode. So, I popped an edible and was ready to embrace a little comedy. Nailed it.

SNW continues the TOS universe with the sophistication of TNG, truly a best of both worlds.

Total fan service and I loved every moment of it.

SNW is hitting it out of the park.  What a great show.

The first episode of the new Orville season.... wow.    Another goodie.   That there is good Sci Fi

First episode of Orville was excellent. No pretty ribbon resolution, and almost purely straight Trek SF. Very very little of the comedy.

This episode proves to me Seth would have been a great choice of they had let him have the reigns of Trek.

• Like 1

Loved the Orville this week. Bringing back the TNG feelings hard. Part The Royale, part Frame of Mind, part Ship in a Bottle, and even a little dusting of The Chase. Best episode of the season so far, and it very much alleviated my concerns about their direction.

As for Strange New Worlds... I find myself going into the series every week almost rooting against it... or just doubting they can keep pulling it off. I still sort of hate the formula. But damn it, they keep feeding me crow. Another very good episode, and they are warping along at full song.

Great week for my favorite franchises.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 3:12 PM, Mosher said:

First episode of Orville was excellent. No pretty ribbon resolution, and almost purely straight Trek SF. Very very little of the comedy.

This episode proves to me Seth would have been a great choice of they had let him have the reigns of Trek.

Seth himself is saying that he should have gone into Sci-Fi instead of comedy.

Of course, he made his name in comedy... but still, he's a great writer for Sci-Fi.   Orville is gold.

• Like 2

I'm glad to have more Orville, I'd be pissed if it was canceled after season two. With that said I'm not loving season three like the way I'm loving ST:SNW...maybe it's the edibles.

The Orville was a dense, confusing episode- in sort of a good way. It felt like they were trying to make a point, but instead asked a bunch of questions and threw them all up in the air as a total jumble without nailing down a conclusion. I appreciate that they left room for reflection in what easily could've been a hamfisted hatchet piece.

SNW remains solid with an episode that brought me back to TNG's "Remember Me". I'm a little disappointed at the quick and sudden wrap up of a major arc, and I hope it doesn't leave a fantastic character with nothing to do going forward. But I have no reason to doubt that the fallout from this will be handled carefully.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 10:36 PM, KenJennings said:

The Orville was a dense, confusing episode- in sort of a good way. It felt like they were trying to make a point, but instead asked a bunch of questions and threw them all up in the air as a total jumble without nailing down a conclusion. I appreciate that they left room for reflection in what easily could've been a hamfisted hatchet piece.

SNW remains solid with an episode that brought me back to TNG's "Remember Me". I'm a little disappointed at the quick and sudden wrap up of a major arc, and I hope it doesn't leave a fantastic character with nothing to do going forward. But I have no reason to doubt that the fallout from this will be handled carefully.

Gently Falling Rain often felt like a hamfisted hatchet piece. It appears there was a lot of carnedge in the rescue operation. I hope this isn't some lose thread to never be resolved. While at the same time I don't want The Orville to be a constant war with the Klingon Krill each episode.

SNW continues to be brilliant yet I'm in agreement about the major story arch you mention.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says '1 ம்ல He'll keep hailing me.. He'll keep hailing me until I beam over He'll make me feel guilty.. ok I'll go, T go, I'll go, I'll go, I'll go.'

The Orville wins the night this week, pretty handily. It was their best outing of the season, harkening back to their first season and finally facing the consequences of a long running arc that needed resolution.

It was a weak effort from SNW. This episode tried to do too much, was crowded with characters they wanted to touch base with, and absolutely lacked the emotional resonance its events deserved. For the second week in a row, we're starting to see a pacing problem with SNW as it's classical episodic format strains against the boundaries of a modern day, 10 episode, flagship TV season. SNW has all the pieces in place to be great Star Trek, but I fear it doesn't have the time. I wish we could even see something like 18-20 episodes so they could slow down and give these characters time to sink in.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1