Father of Neil is dead

rugen

As showing on Donna Halper Twitter account :

I am told that late last night, Neil Peart's dad lost his battle with cancer and passed. Many of us in the Rush fan community had the chance to get to know Glen. He was a dear person. Please keep the family in your thoughts during this difficult time.

• Like 10

As showing on Donna Halper Twitter account :

I am told that late last night, Neil Peart's dad lost his battle with cancer and passed. Many of us in the Rush fan community had the chance to get to know Glen. He was a dear person. Please keep the family in your thoughts during this difficult time.

:rose:

• Like 3

I'm sorry, to hear, see, and read this. First, it was Neil from "Glioblastoma", and now, his dad, Glen, from cancer. For the Peart family, what only a year, and a half it's been. He'll be missed, and remembered like his son Neil is. My heartfelt condolences, to the rest of the family. R.I.P., Glen. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 4

RIP, Glen Peart. :rose: What a time this family has had with a horrible disease. My heart goes out to the rest of the family. I'm really sorry to hear this.
  • Like 4

Any father who trusts his young son to pursue a high-risk venture like being a rock drummer is a GREAT father.
  • Like 10

Any father who trusts his young son to pursue a high-risk venture like being a rock drummer is a GREAT father.

As the elder Mr. Peart tells it...

Neil had joined a small local band playing only on weekends. Somehow, his reputation had gotten around.

The “White Corvette” visit to our farm equipment dealership has been documented several times. After lunch when the two men left, I could tell that Neil was really tormented. He was certainly not himself.

When we locked the door, he came and sat in my office and unloaded. The two visitors were the managers of Rush, a band from Toronto that were about to hit the big time. They had signed a contract and their first tour was arranged but their drummer had just dropped a bomb on all their plans — for health reasons, he had been told not to travel. The managers wanted Neil to audition ASAP and, if successful, to join the other two guys and start to practice — immediately!

Neil was consumed with guilt because we were just coming into our busy season and he felt he was letting me down. I finally said, “Neil, this could be the chance of your life. We have to talk this over your mother when we get home, but I feel you have to do this. It could be a dream come true and if it doesn't work out, there will still be a Parts Department that can use you!” Obviously, Mom agreed with my thoughts and the rest is history!”

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 16

Here is the announcement Neil's sister Nancy has made on Facebook-

LgOIyA0l.png oAflJjul.png

Nancy Peart Burkholder is with Betty Glen Peart and 2 others.

On behalf of our Mother and all of our family members, The Peart Family would like to thank everyone for the expressions of sympathy for the passing of our very beloved Glen; husband, father, grandfather, & great grandfather.

Thank you to Hospice Muskoka Andy's House staff for the wonderful care and facility.

If anyone would like to donate to our charities in the Peart name, please see the links below.

Thank you so much to everyone for your thoughts 2764.png

https://foundation.r...-memorial-fund/

https://www.hospicemuskoka.com/donate

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 8

Neil had joined a small local band playing only on weekends. Somehow, his reputation had gotten around.

The “White Corvette” visit to our farm equipment dealership has been documented several times. After lunch when the two men left, I could tell that Neil was really tormented. He was certainly not himself.

When we locked the door, he came and sat in my office and unloaded. The two visitors were the managers of Rush, a band from Toronto that were about to hit the big time. They had signed a contract and their first tour was arranged but their drummer had just dropped a bomb on all their plans — for health reasons, he had been told not to travel. The managers wanted Neil to audition ASAP and, if successful, to join the other two guys and start to practice — immediately!

Neil was consumed with guilt because we were just coming into our busy season and he felt he was letting me down. I finally said, “Neil, this could be the chance of your life. We have to talk this over your mother when we get home, but I feel you have to do this. It could be a dream come true and if it doesn't work out, there will still be a Parts Department that can use you!” Obviously, Mom agreed with my thoughts and the rest is history!”

And most of all, I want to thank my father...up there....the man who, when I said that I wanted to be an actor, said, "Wonderful.....just have a backup profession, like welding."

-- Robin Williams (accepting his Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor)

• Like 5

RIP

One wonders if Neil would have made his mark without this chance meeting.

I mean with all due respect to the parents....Neil was over 21 so ultimately it was his decision...he had to follow his dream...he listened to his parents and luckily they were behind his decision.

Just sad to think how many people do not pursue their passion being told by countless people of how "crazy" they are..most,I'm sure with good intentions at heart... or just plain fear of failure.

"Some are born to move the world

To live their fantasies

But most of us just dream about

The things we'd like to be

Sadder still to watch it die

Than never to have known it

For you, the blind who once could see

The bell tolls for thee"

Neil Peart

• Like 3

My thoughts and prayers are with the family. RIP Mr. Peart.

And today my "Tributes - Songs for Neil" CD arrived from Scotland, so it will always be appreciated in honour of his father.

• Like 3

Just sad to think how many people do not pursue their passion being told by countless people of how "crazy" they are...most, I'm sure with good intentions at heart... or just plain fear of failure.

And countless fathers have bullied their children into pursuing careers not of their choosing. It's one of the worst mistakes any parent could make.

• Like 8