Neil's mistake during R30 intro medley

pasqua

I just read Roadshow for the 1st time, and Neil mentions being very upset at himself for a mistake he made during the R30 intro medley that appears on the DVD. I've listened & watched it quite a bit and haven't noticed any mistake. Has anyone here noticed it?

The more of his writings that you read, the more small, tiny details he will discuss. They all had their moments. Let's remember that this band has been "microscoped" eleven times over, they are very detailed. It's just that Neil had the energy and drive to write a lot, a lot...a lot about the band. Clearly, he was above average human awareness. Errors are not the thing to feel you have missed. The moments of live perfection, the times they came together, the pride in the least expected ways...those are the moments to remember :)

And when you see those moments you will watch again, and again, and again, Because they are awesome!!!

• Like 3

This is in regards to the Frankfurt show filmed for the R30: 30th Anniversary World Tour DVD in the book.

"I had a cold coming on, and felt fuzzy-headed, and all of us were edgy, over-concentrating, and over-analyzing. It seems like we had to fight our way through the show. I made a nasty mistake right in the first song, the "R30 Overture," and never really recovered."

The first song of that medley is 'Finding My Way', which we all know Neil didn't drum on the original studio recording.

Maybe his expectation of playing a song with concentration of a simple straight-forward groove was challenging for him, as he's used to playing complex rhythms.

I would agree with Bahamas comments as he summed it up perfectly in relation.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

I agree, if he made a mistake I sure haven't noticed it. I watch that intro on YouTube often and think it was one of the best openings to a concert I have ever attended. :rush: :haz:

More of an omission than an obvious mistake, but during Cygnus he doesnt play a snare fill at about the 8:11 mark.

Yes, this was the "mistake" I was thinking about as well. Probably a big enough omission for Neil to feel upset about it I would guess.

This is in regards to the Frankfurt show filmed for the R30: 30th Anniversary World Tour DVD in the book.

"I had a cold coming on, and felt fuzzy-headed, and all of us were edgy, over-concentrating, and over-analyzing. It seems like we had to fight our way through the show. I made a nasty mistake right in the first song, the "R30 Overture," and never really recovered."

The first song of that medley is 'Finding My Way', which we all know Neil didn't drum on the original studio recording.

I don't interpret him saying he made a mistake in the first song in the medley, necessarily, but somewhere in the medley (the "first song" of the night).

The only thing I can hear that even comes close to a mistake is that in one of his fills during Cygnus, he seemed a little tentative at the start of it.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember hearing Neil make a mistake in concert?

I don't.

Nah he dropped a stick during a drum solo when I saw him in Vancouver. It's the only mistake I've ever noticed.

Fine recovery though.

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 2

I don't.

If you mean ever made a mistake, I believe I can recall a few.

The video on YT for Stick it Out in San Antonio in 2010 has one. (This is the most immediate example I can come up with. If I need to provide more, I can start on it.)

I don't.

Nah he dropped a stick during a drum solo when I saw him in Vancouver. It's the only mistake I've ever noticed.

Fine recovery though.

This. It's not that Neil never made an error, it's that his recoveries were so incredible that you just had to smile and shake your head.

I don't.

Fine recovery though.

This. It's not that Neil never made an error, it's that his recoveries were so incredible that you just had to smile and shake your head.

And smile because it happened. Because it's never going to happen again. :(

• Like 1

[it's not that Neil never made an error, it's that his recoveries were so incredible that you just had to smile and shake your head.

Not during Circumstances in 2007 in St. Paul.

I was fourth row on stage left side by that point in the show. I will never know because I did not look at him, but I wonder if he saw my (obvious) reaction to his mistake and this made him mad.